Original Master & 701s
Sep 14, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Girardian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have experience using an Original Master w/ 701s?

Thinking about picking up both of these for an office rig.

This is my exact setup right now. Comparing with the few budget/portable amps that I have used in the past, the Original Master is the only one that has extended treble sparkle and punchy bass. (Note: It looks like my definition of "punchy bass" is "lean bass" to many Head-Fi-ers ears though.) And only this desktop amp can handle the complex passages so that it does not sound "capped", like all my previous portable amps do (even the highly regarded Porta Corda III). It is exactly this reason that I am mainly considering desktop amps rather than portable amps now (with the exception being the Xin Reference).

One more thing... The Original Master is PITCH BLACK when no signal is present... the same can't be said with my previous budget amps.

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Girardian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. What about your source / cables?

USB/M-Audio Firewire Audiophile/Toshiba SD3980 --> Nokia USB cable/BlueJeansCable coax-to-mini --> MicroDAC --> BlueJeansCable mini-to-rca --> Original Master

I'd love to give you alternatives to the Original Master, but currently I'm also looking to get a taste of another desktop amp myself, and I don't know which budget one to get without feeling more like a sidestep.

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 6
I thought that the Master competed well with the Eddie Current EC/SS that I use at the office with AT A900s. These phones have an impedance of 40, close to that of the 701s. I could have kept the Master, returned the EC/SS, and been very happy. Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back