Original JDS Labs element different from newer ones?
Jan 18, 2018 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

loki993

500+ Head-Fier
I have an original JDS element, before they put in any external switches for inputs and outputs or auto switching. Aside from the aforementioned is there any difference from mine and the newer ones? Any differences in sound?

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 11
Element has come a long way:
  • v1.00 [mid 2015] - Original release. USB input and RCA analog input.

• v1.00 [late 2015] - Added optional Auto Line-Output relay board to convert RCA jacks from inputs to line-outputs.

• v1.51 [early 2016] - New PCB with support for both RCA input and auto switching RCA line-outputs; upgraded USB jack for better insertion feel; improved USB input stage to support longer USB cables. New enclosure design, new rubber feet, new metal finish supplier.

• v1.53a [early 2017] - Changed PCB from green to black, eliminated possibility of mechanical assembly errors resulting in flashing lights. Brought metal finishing in-house for improved enclosure texture and appearance. Added knob accent ring color options. Achieved 0% DOA rate.

• v1.53b [mid/late 2017] - Replaced input stage chipset to greatly reduce chances of audible RFI, while maintaining audible and measurable performance.
Sound quality is consistent since 2015, while reliability, functionality, and appearance have all improved. We're always listening to you guys!

@jseaber will be the best guy to advise, but I believe they are the same as when they were originally released except for the switches you mentioned.

Jan 19, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 11
Element has come a long way:
  • v1.00 [mid 2015] - Original release. USB input and RCA analog input.

• v1.00 [late 2015] - Added optional Auto Line-Output relay board to convert RCA jacks from inputs to line-outputs.

• v1.51 [early 2016] - New PCB with support for both RCA input and auto switching RCA line-outputs; upgraded USB jack for better insertion feel; improved USB input stage to support longer USB cables. New enclosure design, new rubber feet, new metal finish supplier.

• v1.53a [early 2017] - Changed PCB from green to black, eliminated possibility of mechanical assembly errors resulting in flashing lights. Brought metal finishing in-house for improved enclosure texture and appearance. Added knob accent ring color options. Achieved 0% DOA rate.

• v1.53b [mid/late 2017] - Replaced input stage chipset to greatly reduce chances of audible RFI, while maintaining audible and measurable performance.
Sound quality is consistent since 2015, while reliability, functionality, and appearance have all improved. We're always listening to you guys!

As always, excellent support :D

Thank John!

May 23, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #9 of 11
If I buy Element in the B-stock, will I receive the v1.53b version or am I at risk of receiving previous versions:grey_question:

Please see our FAQ:

B-Stock amplifiers and DACs contain brand new electronics. We classify enclosures as "B-Stock" when accidents occur in production. This usually means someone scratched or dropped a part, or it may exhibit small engraving or anodizing defect(s). Most cosmetic errors are difficult to notice. We prefer to set a high standard.

Please realize that B-Stock enclosures are offered at a loss, each enclosure is unique, and inventory is constantly moving. In other words, we cannot provide pictures or guarantee specific enclosures.

We never ship old electronics.

May 23, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #10 of 11
Please see our FAQ:

B-Stock amplifiers and DACs contain brand new electronics. We classify enclosures as "B-Stock" when accidents occur in production. This usually means someone scratched or dropped a part, or it may exhibit small engraving or anodizing defect(s). Most cosmetic errors are difficult to notice. We prefer to set a high standard.

Please realize that B-Stock enclosures are offered at a loss, each enclosure is unique, and inventory is constantly moving. In other words, we cannot provide pictures or guarantee specific enclosures.

We never ship old electronics.
Ask me another question, do you still sell Element with only one RCA input or output? I'm not sure if it's either. Or do you just sell both with an RCA input and output?

May 24, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #11 of 11
Ask me another question, do you still sell Element with only one RCA input or output? I'm not sure if it's either. Or do you just sell both with an RCA input and output?

All Elements since 2017, version 1.53, have both RCA input and RCA output. Yes, we only sell the latest version (both RCA jacks).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back