Original Grado 325s, now what? Are they really as bad as people say, your thoughts please.
Jan 5, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #16 of 28
I love mine. Currently running un-amped but an amp is on the way. I figured I would appreciate an amp more if I went un-amped for a while.

Im using the jumbo pads right now, and they seem to clean up the mids and tone down the highs. I have not decided on its impact on the bass yet though. Sometimes I think it got better, sometimes I think it got weaker.

But it does make them not as loud so thus me ordering an amp.

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #17 of 28
I think the flats at TTVJ were made for the HP-1000 series only and since the 325s are known to be on the bright side, flats might not be the best. I think the funky yellow foam Sennheiser 414 pads are a better bet if you want to try something different.

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #18 of 28
Correct me if I'm wrong-I think SR325 came with flats originally.

Jan 5, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #19 of 28
I can't say I know for sure--i always thought they came with bowls...and I am not the original owner of mine. I think you know way more headphones than me so you are probably right--thanks for correcting.

Jan 5, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by champ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't say I know for sure--i always thought they came with bowls...and I am not the original owner of mine. I think you know way more headphones than me so you are probably right--thanks for correcting.

I think what happened was the original black SR325 came with flats. Somehow the black cups turned silver and flat pads turned to bowl pads.
regular_smile .gif

I found a lot of info in this forum for "black sr325". Nice review here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/min...rs-1-a-396429/

Jan 5, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by champ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the flats at TTVJ were made for the HP-1000 series only and since the 325s are known to be on the bright side, flats might not be the best. I think the funky yellow foam Sennheiser 414 pads are a better bet if you want to try something different.

The bright side of the 325s is the reason for using the flats and while the yellow foam pads are alright the flats are much better on the 325s at least for me they were.
Have you listened to the 325s with the flats?

Jan 5, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

I found a lot of info in this forum for "black sr325". Nice review here:
mini-review: black SR325 VS brown headband RS-1

Great review, makes me want to find a pair of black 325s to try the difference from a silver pair. Wow and someone finds it a tough choice between 325s and HP2s.

When I got them years ago and was listening to them unamped I borrowed some flats, but I had already become not very happy with them so I can't say I gave the flats a fair chance before putting them away for several years until a couple months ago. I am ordering flats for my HP-2s so I will give them a try again now that my overall impression of them has changed after plugging into the EF5 this morning.

Jan 5, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #24 of 28
Just look in the sponsor links on this site Todd the Vinyl Junkie and go there and you can order them by clicking on them or calling him.
Todd is a cool guy and always very helpful.

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #25 of 28
I came across this thread as I was looking for more info on my original silver sr325's since I read that when they were released many people thought the sr225's had better sound quality. I acquired mine through craigslist as I owned a pair of sr80's and I loved them, so I was curious to hear these. My sr80's were my first headphones and I did not know all the models that came out of the 325; I just saw 325 and automatically got excited.

I bought them and was blown away by the jump in clarity and detail from the sr80's to these. The seller included some c-pads and I love how comfortable they are. I have tried them with and without the c-pads and even though the c-pads reduce the bass a bit, I feel I can still enjoy the detail and clarity. So to me the comfort outweighs this subtle bass reduction. I am saving up for a rsa mustang amp to hear the difference.

I know I'm rambling over here, but I just wanted also to share my story and add one more fan to the original silver sr325 fan club.

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #26 of 28
What the F are "blissbeat", "doom jazz" and, my favourite ridonkulous subgenre-monniker, "neopagan celtic fusion with rock and electronic"!!?? These subgenres are getting way out of hand if you ask me.
smily_headphones1.gif
Doom jazz... is that like Bohren und der Club of Gore? Crazy.

Btw, check out Alcest, Amesoeurs, Nadja, Year Of No Light and Miasma & The Carrousel of Headless Horses.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negakinu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What the F are "blissbeat", "doom jazz" and, my favourite ridonkulous subgenre-monniker, "neopagan celtic fusion with rock and electronic"!!?? These subgenres are getting way out of hand if you ask me.
smily_headphones1.gif
Doom jazz... is that like Bohren und der Club of Gore? Crazy.

Btw, check out Alcest, Amesoeurs, Nadja, Year Of No Light and Miasma & The Carrousel of Headless Horses.
smily_headphones1.gif

beyersmile.png
One wonders about the need to differentiate from ancient pagan to neopagan. Are there that many ancient pagan celtic fusion tracks to get confused on?

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Already own albums from every band but one.

Doom Jazz is the answer to medeski, martin, and wood... they get associated tooo much with jam bands, though they are a really good BAND just to themselves, doomjazz is extremely dark, and I was also lumping in a lot of this fantasy sound together with some of the celtic revival music. Lately, I have been more into shoegazer with an indie bent, and also classic techno, rather than the modern russian minimal, though both are good. I also like minimal psy, and some of this "black country" like 16 Horsepower, their 2nd album fits the 325s to a tee. A lot of music doesn't, but lush sounds, whther dark or airy, like Lycia vs. Narsilion, or as passionate as 16 horsepower can be with his vintage electric instruments. That guitar just... it is one of the best tones I have ever heard, very up front, his music, but the 325s suit it well. Electronic modern is hard to get on 325s. Some IDM works, some doesn't. Autecre's stuff through confield can be enjoyed. The chemical brothers debut works, but forget that 2005 effort, I forget it's name. The ethereal sounds of breathy female voices, and occasionally sinister voices, male or female, as long as that fat wall of reverb is there waiting, it works.

Blissbeat is like Yellow 7, or Portal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back