Origin of the Xin SuperMacro IV LE
Dec 23, 2006 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

wlai

100+ Head-Fier
I've tried searching for this both here and on fixup.net, but I don't think I am getting a clear picture of why Dr Xin came up with the LE. For instance, I've heard that he and others were very happy with the SuperMicro IV's sound, but not with the SuperMacro IV, and somewhere along the line came up with the LE edition. Truth or fiction?

Also, any side by side comparison of the LE vs. regular SuperMacro IV would be great. Seems that there aren't many LE in user's hands yet.

Like so many of Xin's work, it's hard to follow his development. Can someone clarify this LE thing for me? I'm trying to place an order for the SuperMacro, given that I probably won't get it for months, and want to do the best I can in finding the right model off the bat, rather than have to send it in for upgrade and wait months again.

Dec 23, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by wlai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried searching for this both here and on fixup.net, but I don't think I am getting a clear picture of why Dr Xin came up with the LE.

It was fueled by goto2003's broken amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's in the An experiment on power supply thread on Xin's support forum.

IMGP2485.JPG

Dec 23, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 10
I'll try to answer this as best to my knowledge.

The Supermicro could use the opamps that consume low power and sounded more tube like than other SS chipsets.

After some modding by Goto he discovered that the power supply had some redundant saftey features that raised impedence and caused the SQ to be less than optimum.

After that Xin took the modifications further and worked it so that there was the ability to put in the same opamps in the Micro and mini. -Hence the LE that has the best of both worlds.

Dec 23, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks guys, I think I got the gist of the changes between LE and the regular SM4 now. Also, it looks like from this thread http://fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPI...71&whichpage=5 though that goto's comments of removing all but one FET from the power supply hasn't quite hit the LE design yet, and not sure if Xin is planning to do that.

In any case, I think I'm going to put in an order for the LE and by the time mine gets built, there will probably be more changes to decide!

Dec 23, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #5 of 10
Give it some time to settle in. The larger cap really takes some time to form and the sound will change as this happens. I have found the bass firming and the soundstage opening up quite a bit. It really is a nice package and can deliver excellent sound. It drives my IEM's or HD650 equally well.

Dec 23, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give it some time to settle in. The larger cap really takes some time to form and the sound will change as this happens. I have found the bass firming and the soundstage opening up quite a bit. It really is a nice package and can deliver excellent sound. It drives my IEM's or HD650 equally well.

Jamato, what OpAmps are your LE running?

Dec 23, 2006 at 10:26 AM Post #7 of 10
It has the stock, 8616 opamps. Plenty of drive and subtle contrasts to the music. It is still breaking in at around 125 hours. It has a 15,000uF cap and this thing takes time to truly form just like in other little amps using this big cap. The other day I was complaining to a friend that my sm3 b sounded better but time has ticked on by and the LE is opening up, slowly, and gaining in all areas. It is smoother and has more of everything now. The older SM3 is great sounding but the LE has a different character and sounds and controls like a big amp but it takes a while. I will be curious around 200 hours, 300 hours and 400 hours.

Dec 23, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by wlai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In any case, I think I'm going to put in an order for the LE and by the time mine gets built, there will probably be more changes to decide!

By the time yours gets built you will have moved and retired!

Dec 23, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #9 of 10
I had a v.III Supermini and later installed a AD8656. Then sold it in anticipation of v.4 Supermini - before sending it to the new owner, I re-installed the orig. default opamp...........and realized how much more I enjoyed the 8656 in it. So, my Supermini 4 has 8616 in it. LUV!! So, I'd strongly suggest you consider ordering your Supermacro LE with the AD8656 (now std optional choice). Somewhere in his posts, Dr. Xin Feng makes the point that in a year or two, such FET opamps will become a primary choice in the industry (my interp. of his words - which, from my experience with them, hold to be innevitable).................so, suggest you consider ordering your Supermacro LE with either 8656 or 8616. I'll also be adding another Xin to my "battery of amps" - it will also be a Supermacro LE w/AD8656 (unless I decide at the last minute to go with 8616 - depends on the 'phones in particular combos).

Dec 23, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so, suggest you consider ordering your Supermacro LE with either 8656 or 8616. I'll also be adding another Xin to my "battery of amps" - it will also be a Supermacro LE w/AD8656 (unless I decide at the last minute to go with 8616 - depends on the 'phones in particular combos).

You can also use the 8616 and 8656, which was Xin's original selection. goto2003 suggested 8616 for L&R and 3&4 as a default, but I don't know what the default actually is now. This was when they were talking about the flavor of the micro in the maco.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back