Ori DAC trouble
Aug 27, 2007 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

neo770

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Im trying to get some information on my Ori mod Zhaolu D2.5A. The right channel crackles a few times then cuts out.

Hopeing someone could let me know what to check?

Thanks.

Aug 27, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 8
why don't you ask Ori who made it?

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by neo770 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Im trying to get some information on my Ori mod Zhaolu D2.5A. The right channel crackles a few times then cuts out.

Hopeing someone could let me know what to check?

Thanks.

Sounds like a bad opamp.

Wait for Ori to get back to you.

Aug 27, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #5 of 8
yeah. give him some time it's usually a day or so. that and he's west coast I think. he'll fix it.

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like a bad opamp.

Wait for Ori to get back to you.

wouldn't be an opamp, the Ori mod is discrete

check the RCA connectors and the soldering on them

Aug 27, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wouldn't be an opamp, the Ori mod is discrete

Actually, there is an opamp in there in the DC-servo. I first considered building that circuit discrete, but the DC servo loop needs a very high gain, so an opamp is ideal. That circuit forms a feedback loop at subsonic frequencies, which is acceptable from the point of view of loop delay vs. the frequency range. Nothing wrong with opamps when they match the requirements of the application!
The audio signal path itself is a low-gain amplifier, much more suitable for a discrete implementation. In the case of the OMZ, it's a 2-stage circuit, which is just about as minimal (and hopefully optimal) as it gets for this application.

Aug 28, 2007 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, there is an opamp in there in the DC-servo. I first considered building that circuit discrete, but the DC servo loop needs a very high gain, so an opamp is ideal. That circuit forms a feedback loop at subsonic frequencies, which is acceptable from the point of view of loop delay vs. the frequency range. Nothing wrong with opamps when they match the requirements of the application!
The audio signal path itself is a low-gain amplifier, much more suitable for a discrete implementation. In the case of the OMZ, it's a 2-stage circuit, which is just about as minimal (and hopefully optimal) as it gets for this application.

by jove it is too, it's been so long since i've opened her up i can't even remember what it looked like

did you ever figure out why the left channel of the old discrete board was noisy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back