organizing mp3's by bitrate?
Jun 16, 2009 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

leeperry

Galvanically isolated his brain
hi there,

I'm looking for a simple tool to sort my mp3's by bitrate...is there such a thing?

I've got many gigs of single mp3's, and it's all mixed up...I'd like some app to create 128/160/192/256/V0/etc folders and sort them out automatically
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been searching on google for 1H, if anyone knows please help
beerchug.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #3 of 10
iTunes does it

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #4 of 10
cool, but I'm not an Apple guy...I didn't like Safari, and I guess it'd install a lot of bloatware on my system...

anyway, mp3 explorer has done the job...but it was constantly crashing
rolleyes.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 10
Explorer can't handle vbr mp3s very well. The bitrate it shows is usually way to high or way too low. But if you don't have any VBR mp3s then there is no problem
smily_headphones1.gif

Foobar2000 should be able to do it. At least it is able to show the correct average bitrate of vbr mp3s. Just create a column with bitrate and then sort. Finally select the songs and move them to another folder.

However detecting -V0 mp3s and such is a whole different story. A program like "Mr. Questionman" is able to detect them, but has no option to move them.

Personally, i have moved all my crappy CBR non-LAME mp3s to one folder and I have moved all my quality VBR mp3 and 320kbps mp3 to another folder. However i have done most work manually during the years
tongue.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #7 of 10
yeah I'm also becoming a lossless integrist, but if you don't pay attention >224kbits mp3 can be good too
beerchug.gif

@Slogra: I don't get ANY data in the "bitrate" column on XP SP3 ?! I disabled tons of shell stuff, that might explain
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 10
In the Explorer menu choose: View -> Choose Detail -> select bitrate. Also make sure you use View -> details.

Acutally, i really don't like to use Explorer for this kind of work. It makes Explorer really slow. I prefer a file explorer with no multimedia support whatsoever.

Jun 17, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #9 of 10
Media Monkey free and Pro both allow you to add a bitrate column that you can can then sort by.

It's a great little program, I'm certainly much happier with it than foobar.

Jun 17, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slogra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the Explorer menu choose: View -> Choose Detail -> select bitrate. Also make sure you use View -> details.

Acutally, i really don't like to use Explorer for this kind of work. It makes Explorer really slow.

yes, it's empty! I think that's because I disabled shmedia or sumthing...it made Explorer slow on video files indeed
wink.gif

anyway, problem solved....the STX forces me to go lossless
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by comedian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Media Monkey free and Pro both allow you to add a bitrate column that you can can then sort by.

can you move them to different folders on the HDD then? mp3explorer lets you drag'n drop them(when it doesn't crash)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back