Organization
Apr 9, 2012 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Makiah S

Sponsor: EarMen | HeadAmp
Member of the Trade: Bricasti Design
Formerly known as Mshenay
How do you guys keep your music organized? What software do you use and recommend!

Personally I like to do things manually, I break my music into Genre's to some Extent then Genre's into Sub Genres then into ARtist, ect... ect... so on. The only software I use atm is Tera Copy, I've heard good things about Media Monkey [with regrads to editing id3 tags] and I'm looking for a good CD Riping software [In case I get any CD's soon!]

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 4
Here's my system for getting my music ripped/converted
  1. I rip my CDs to FLAC with dBpoweramp.
  2. Then I grab some album art off albumartexchange.com, or Google Images if needed.  I'll place two copies in the album folder; cover.jpg and folder.jpg (some software I used a while back would only read one or the other)
  3. Next, I fire up Mp3tag to make sure the tags I care about are correct.  I'll set the disc number to 1/1 if it's not a multi-disc album.
  4. Finally, I use dBpoweramp again to convert to VBR V0 MP3 for use on my computers and portable devices.  I send the files to a dynamic location based on these settings:  
[album artist]\[[year]] [album]\[IF!EQUALS]disc,1/1,\Disc [disc]\[][track] [title]

1. If I haven't tagged the tracks as belonging to disc 1/1 they will be sorted into folders based on disc number.  If it is from a single disc, the disc # folder won't be created.  The final location would look something like this for a normal album:
C:\Users\david\Music\Artists\Gregory Porter\[2012] Be Good\03 On My Way To Harlem.mp3

I also stick soundtracks and classical music in their own folders to keep them separate from my "normal" music, but I usually just use MusicBee for listening anyway and they're all tagged to be sorted properly.

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 4
Very nice, I actually have dBPowerAmp and I use it ALOT [forget that it rips as well lol]

Very nice system though, Album Art is one of my biggest issue atm as well as Id3 tags... the tags are of course sheer lazyness the album art well I'm still trying to find a good program that let's me edit album art -.-

I use WinAmp and SRS Audio Sandbox 10 for play back, I like playing .Flacs but... my pc system sux so even .Flacs sound worse then .mp3s on the Zune >.>

Thanks for sharing though! Mp3Tag was software I had not yet heard of :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back