Organic Case for DG300B
Jan 7, 2017 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sceleratus

Previously known as Iamnothim
hey!

Hope everyone is having a fine new year.
I was contacted by a new friend that also built the Tom Christensen's DG300B amp....  well we got to talking and it seems Mike didn't have a case for it.

Hmm?  The case is the one thing I did not make for my 300B.  I considered it "unfinished business" and had to build one.  I've done some contouring/sculpting on other projects and liked the results.  I decided to make an "organic" variation of mine.    In birds eye maple with purple heart accents to match the purple heart on Mike's DAC  He let me run with it.   Here's the work in progress.

Note:  The volume knob will be purple heart.

Apr 6, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 12
I'm not sure if it's proper to reply to a thread after all this time. Apologies if that's bad form, but I had to comment on the beauty of your work. Stunning! Do you have any pictures of the finished project? Your design and build quality is inspirational (not to mention that the shop alone is a work of art).

Apr 6, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 12
Great timing!
I built that case for Mike R. and after a couple years he happened to send a note earlier this week ! Wow.
I'll look for a finished shot, but I'm certain he'll find this thread and post some fresh ones. We had a lot of fun scratch'n our heads coming up with his case. I'lol find the only finished pic (he took) in a minute.

Glad you like it.

Luke

Apr 6, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 12
Mike_300B_Case-16.jpg

Apr 6, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #7 of 12
Shellac. French Polish hand finish
2017-03-08 12.11.23.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 12
Hi Randy
I like French polish A lot it’s very tactile putting the shellac in the fad or ball of cotton as you were in going back-and-forth back-and-forth back-and-forth. You actually get a little contrail from the denatured alcohol. It’s stupid stuff that is 60-year-old would find interesting . And I think the finish can’t be beat. The only downside on furniture is you don’t want to spill alcohol on it. Shellac is made from the lac beetle l excrement. I grind up the translucent flakes and dissolve them in denatured alcohol there are a lot of different colors to impart into the wood. It’s the finish within the finish

Apr 9, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 12
I've used the Zinsser shellac they sell at HW stores, but they stopped putting expiration dates on the cans so for my last project I mixed my own shellac.

One great thing about shellac is you can use it between finishes that would not otherwise be compatible. I was just doing something with watco oil, and then put a shellac coating on top. I stopped there, the shellac over watco came out pretty nice.

Maybe one day I'lll try a French polish and see how it goes..

Apr 9, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #11 of 12
Squeeze bottle nice rags and lighting and you’re there. Maybe one bottle for shellac and one bottle for denatured alcohol. Go to shellac.net they have everything. It’s really a lot of fun you put in like 1000 strokes That imparts a tiny bit of shellac each time. Have fun

Apr 9, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #12 of 12
Squeeze bottle nice rags and lighting and you’re there. Maybe one bottle for shellac and one bottle for denatured alcohol. Go to shellac.net they have everything. It’s really a lot of fun you put in like 1000 strokes That imparts a tiny bit of shellac each time. Have fun

lol, maybe next project.
I bought my shellac flakes from these guys recently
https://wellermart.com/t/shellac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back