Oregon Meet 08-19-06
Aug 20, 2006 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

devwild

1000+ Head-Fier
So, it turned out to be smaller than expected (too many people enjoying the weather unlike us dorks
wink.gif
), but it was still a fun meet, with several new and welcome faces. Also a nice selection of gear that have been strangers to our meets thus far...

After waiting so long to listen to K1000s, I finally got my chance today - and I was really impressed. Honestly, they were different/better than I expected. From the same presonus/dared configuration I use for my speakers at home, the K1000 presented a rich, near-complete presentation with its almost speaker-like imaging. Great vocals, nice texture, surprisingly good bass. Very fun. Unfortunately, if I owned a pair myself, they probably wouldn't get used as much as they deserve, but I hope to have a chance to listen to some again regardless, and in a quieter environment.

The AD2000 is a nice Audio Technica can - more balanced than the Ax00 series and a nice open sound. I personally prefer the SA5000, but I can see this being used as a good all-around open can - which isn't something I had come to expect from AT.

The MPX3 was good too, nice to finally hear a tube amp of that class. It's a shame we didn't have the alternate tubes. My practical side says it might be a bit too much of a space heater though.
wink.gif

Anyhow, thanks all for coming, and for the friendly conversation. I'll post some pictures shortly.

Aug 20, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 21
Connections, man, do we have connections!

219661279_7f1f895311_b.jpg

219661102_8284452659_b.jpg

219660921_7b81beed86_b.jpg

219660682_2823e6cfe2_b.jpg

Aug 20, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 21
Another meet, another variant of my gear
IMG_2707.jpg

Self portrait, waiting for the first people to show
IMG_2720.jpg

Familiar setting, but new faces
IMG_2723.jpg

Mmm, black
IMG_2724.jpg

AD2000s - I'd rotate the picture but I like it this way
IMG_2727.jpg

Tubes - yea, it's been done, but we'll do it again...
IMG_2730.jpg

Grado landscape
IMG_2734.jpg

Aug 20, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 21
Nice meet, people, and thanks for the great pics and initial impressions.

Kevin - nice initial impressions of the K1K's. Glad to see you used them as intended - from the speaker outs of the Dared. I think one's first impressions of them are usually a , "wow". Welcome to the club.

Aug 20, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one

Kevin - nice initial impressions of the K1K's. Glad to see you used them as intended - from the speaker outs of the Dared. I think one's first impressions of them are usually a , "wow". Welcome to the club.

I think you got your names swapped, but thanks
wink.gif

Aug 20, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigabomber
Is that a Corda Aria I spy in the Pic of James Bean?

Yes, the Aria is Kevin's, I sold mine as part of me "settling" on two home configurations
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigabomber
I bet the meet just wasn't the same without our mascot Seeberg.

No, it wasn't, especially since you guys are the first to show
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one

Funny, I was wondering how you knew the K1Ks were mine, unless perhaps you read saw the avatar tag line that Jude laid on me several years ago.
wink.gif
k1000smile.gif

Aug 20, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 21
Interestingly, no one was captured in a picture actually wearing the K1Ks, flaps in or flaps out!
basshead.gif

Aug 21, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #12 of 21
It was great to meet everyone — thanks for sharing your gear and time. And special thanks to Devwild of course for getting it organized. Here are some brief impressions.

AKG K-1000 — very, very nice powered by the Dared (which itself is a surprisingly pleasant and versatile amp for the price). The bass was better than I’d expected. Overall an amazingly crisp sound. It's a real credit to the Dared that Ken says the K-1000's sound better powered by it than by AKG's own amp.

Audio Technica AD-900 — The first quality sealed headphone I’ve listened to, and I liked it. Out of the MPX3, it was a bit thicker in the bass than I usually like, but I suspect that might go away with a better pairing.

Audio Technica AD-2000 — James did me a favor and switched the pads so that I could listen to them in their stock form (he had swapped in some W-5000 pads). I agree with his complaints about comfort. Too hard against the ear. Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to listen to them in modified form, with the thicker W-5000 pads and additional fabric to push them out even further. This is a headphone I’ve been lusting after for a while, and it didn’t really bowl me over. It’s possible that if I had a bit more time and the replacement pads, I would have felt differently, but for the time being my wallet is safe. Not a bad headphone by any means, but not extraordinary enough to make me want to change my current roster.

Ken’s cables — I didn’t have time for comparisons, but I’ll say that the Ken’s custom made line-out cable lead to better sound than I’ve ever heard from an iPod. I would encourage anyone who wants to enhance the quality of their iPod to contact Ken (who is also a real pleasure to talk to).

AKG K-501 — Good headphones, no doubt. But listening to them convinced me that AKG headphones aren’t my cup of tea. Like the K-701’s (which I recently sold) the sound is a bit too removed. Purely a matter of taste, but I find the music uninvolving despite the obvious fine qualities (most notably the justifiably praised midrange).

Kevin’s Franken-Grados — They’re one of a kind, which is a really shame because they sounded great. SR-200 drivers, if I recall correctly. Okay, so why did they stop making those?

Sennheiser HD-600 with Cardas cable — This was the real discovery of the meet for me. I was kicking myself all afternoon for forgetting my stock-cable HD-600’s, which prevented me from doing a direct comparison. However, I’ve spent many hours listening to the stock HD-600’s and was struck repeatedly by how much better Kevin's Cardas-cabled phones sounded across the board. I’ve held back on a cable upgrade out of skepticism, but I think I may go for it now.

Thanks again everybody!

Aug 21, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #13 of 21
Devwild,

Jeez your camera takes some nice photos, or prehaps its a the operator and camera combined? I should have stopped to check the camera too. Put down the headphone.

Panyncor, curse you and your Singlepower !! I have already been talking to Mikhail over at Singlepower. I am even thinking of selling PPX3's bundled with some real fancy interconnects on the web site, if I can hammer out a deal with Mikhail.

Yeah we should do this again in the winter when its real poopy out so the non geeks will attend.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Aug 21, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #14 of 21
Kb, I couldn't help, but realise the photos were very good, especially the grado one. I checked, it's a EOS Digital Rebel XT, which is an Canon DSLR, which probably explains the photos.

Aug 21, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #15 of 21
Sorry guys for not getting their sooner. I just couldn't drag myself out of bed that morning.
frown.gif
I was pleased that I at least got a chance to listen to a headphone I hadn't heard before, the K1000's. They certainly have a distinctive quality to them, but they're just not my cup of tea. I was listening to some Massive Attack and the lower bass just wasn't there. I'd really like to get a chance to listen to them again though. Perhaps with a larger selection of music with me. I think before the next meet I'm going to get myself another iRiver H120. At least that way you can put lossless on there and transfer to a decent DAC.

Speaking of DAC's, from my limited time with the VDA 2 I thought it sounded pretty good. Using it with my PRII and SA5000s just reminded me how much I need to upgrade my source. I was a little bummed I didn't get a chance to listen to the DAC-AH. It would have been nice to compare it with the VDA2. Oh well, maybe next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back