Ordering R10 Ear Pads from AudioCubes I or II?
Jun 27, 2004 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
Aren't AudioCubes I and II the same company?

They have the R10 Ear Pads for two different prices.

Audiocubes II has it for $255

Audiocubes I has it for $269

Shipping is slightly more expensive for Audiocubes II, but it's still a little cheaper than Audiocubes I.
confused.gif

I guess I should order from AudioCubes II, then.

-Ed

Jun 27, 2004 at 6:25 AM Post #4 of 15
Someone should e-mail them and ask for the differences, my thought was that the Audiocubes II was more of a audiophile atmosphere

Jun 27, 2004 at 8:10 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot
Wow! Those are really expensive ear pads (for even more absurdly priced headphones, of course).

Exactly. If they would have any dignity at all, they would sell them for 5 Bucks and the phone for 100. =0)

Jun 27, 2004 at 9:09 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
Exactly. If they would have any dignity at all, they would sell them for 5 Bucks and the phone for 100. =0)

if you can make a headphone that is exactly like the MDR-R10 in build quality, materials, sound reproduction, etc... I would gladly buy one from you.
smily_headphones1.gif

I sure hope the day for me to buy new pads is far away... quite costly.

Jun 27, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
I sure hope the day for me to buy new pads is far away... quite costly.

There have been several reports of Sony discontinuing the R10. I'm not entirely sure when it will occur, nor do I know when they will stop carrying parts for a discontinued item. I've already replaced my original pads, and have a spare pair "just in case". I'm hoping my existing pads last many years, since they're new, but when that time is up, I want to be sure to have something to replace them. I can't count on Sony to still have them at that point.

Jun 27, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #11 of 15
All I can add is that I ordered replacement pads from audiocubes (don't remember which one) and they arrived promptly.

I do want to give a BIG THANKS to Hirsch for his awesome thread covering how to replace them, with its photos and all, it was indespensible. Thanks, Hirsch!

Mark

Jun 27, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
There have been several reports of Sony discontinuing the R10. I'm not entirely sure when it will occur, nor do I know when they will stop carrying parts for a discontinued item. I've already replaced my original pads, and have a spare pair "just in case". I'm hoping my existing pads last many years, since they're new, but when that time is up, I want to be sure to have something to replace them. I can't count on Sony to still have them at that point.

ya, I have contacted a lot of resellers (in japan at least) and know about the discontinuing of the MDR-R10. I guess I'll get some a few replacement pads the next time I go to japan since I can get it for around $200 to $220 at stores there. hope they'll still have some stock of replacement parts for a while. they still have warranties to honor so not for another year at least.

Jun 28, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #13 of 15
It was my hope that a good upholsterer could just make a new set using an opld set as a kind of template. For $235 you could use really nice kid (I guess like sony already does) and pick the color.

Since I have no exerience with these I asked Mikhail if he thought it was prudent to buy a replacement set now - for future use - or if he agreed that an upholsterer coul easily knock these off. He told me that his father had been an upholsterer (he himself had some experience) and that he thought that they could easily be replicated.

Any opinions as to why this would NOT be the case???

Jun 28, 2004 at 8:04 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbratrud

Any opinions as to why this would NOT be the case???

#1. The leather needs to be really thin and supple, so you would have better luck having a leather glove manufacturer making the ear pads. Upholstery is another animal (part) altogether.

#2. The amount of stuffing is very crucial. The thickness of the pads is what helps to "toe in" the angle of the drivers when they are on your head. That is why replacing "deflated" ear pads are so important. You can hear the difference in imaging and soundstage between new and old ear pads.

-Ed

Jun 28, 2004 at 8:07 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
I've already replaced my original pads, and have a spare pair "just in case". I'm hoping my existing pads last many years, since they're new, but when that time is up, I want to be sure to have something to replace them. I can't count on Sony to still have them at that point.

Are the pads sealed in an airtight package, Hirsch? Can you post a pic of the packaged replacement pads?

I am concerned with the adhesive going bad over time in storage, or the adhesive leeching into the "wax paper" peel off layer and sticking permanently to it. I've seen this problem happen with a lot of "peel and stick" products.

Hopefully Sony has a special adhesive made from the resin of a tree high atop the canopies in the Amazon jungle.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back