Ordering an Nano...
Dec 17, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #16 of 24
none of the competitors even have 4gb flash (except for sandisk) and there are very few 2gb players. i don't think capacities are going to increase for a while. maybe price cuts, but they're pretty low as it is (especially with the discount). if its something you want, i don't think waiting will get you anything better for a while. they are priced great and have the highest flash capacities on the market. if apple does somehow pop out some 8gb flash chips for a reasonable price, it will floor me (as well as all of their competition i imagine).

Dec 18, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
The higher the SNR, the better.

SNR = signal-to-noise ratio

higher SNR = more signal compared to background noise

Sorry..... wasn't sure which way round it was. I am no audio engineer, lol.

BodiesOfLight: I don't disregard the design of the nano. Its very neat with it being very small and all that..... but its just another clone of all the product line of iPods. There can't have been much effort into design (once again), with is having all the same features (but just smaller). Also, they should of also realised it scratched easily.... so more unneccessary money to the consumer to adapt protect it. I would just want a product that comes out of box and can be used straight away, rather than faffing and worrying about it being scratched easily.

Going back to design, the iPod line is getting very tedious and they need to look out the scope for new design (MKII version of their products).

All I'm saying is that iPod products are not anymore brilliant than Cowon iAudio line of MP3 players. I don't follow fashion accessory technology
wink.gif
. Features, SQ and unique design come ahead of anything else. Thats why I'm very happy with my iAudio M3 player.

Dec 18, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tunster
I don't follow fashion accessory technology
wink.gif
. Features, SQ and unique design come ahead of anything else.

these two statements seem incompatible.

Dec 19, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

There can't have been much effort into design (once again), with is having all the same features (but just smaller).

Well, actually they had to redesign a lot internally based on a review I read where they disassembled it. Can't remember if it is Ars Technica or where I found it.

I do agree that it should be more scratch resistant but I don't think they are obligated to make the thing scratch proof.

Dec 19, 2005 at 7:30 AM Post #21 of 24
i agree that the ipods are no longer 'unique', but they are still very simple and elegant. with the simplicity comes the ease of functionality. who needs to improve on something that has developed such a following? it is an industry standard, they don't have much reason to come up with a unique design. obviously, they must provide updates to keep peoples interest, but significantly changing their design could prove to be a poor decision. apple seems to start off with a unique design, and keep updating the same basic design for a very long time. they don't need to come out with something unique all the time. obviously, iaudio along with other companies are always finding new unique designs like iaudios race car (http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.1872).

in my opinion, the M3 is a very awkward design. it is indeed very unique though
wink.gif
. it is all a matter of taste, and obviously there are plenty of companies serving up unique players all the time.

Dec 19, 2005 at 9:44 AM Post #22 of 24
The core reason of me purchasing the M3 was because I was sick of the amount of iPods floating around. Just didn't want to fall in that crowd because the iPod was a "cool" item. There really isn't anything special about it (how I personally feel).

Also, having had tested some of my mates iPods, I felt that the audio quality lacked big time (4th Gen iPods). So my top priority was SQ, then finding a player that looks really good. M3 fell perfectly into that category. Sexy and simple design, and its dead easy to use as well. Radio, Line-In recording, and lots of support formats (which the iPod didn't have) were all handy to me as well. I came about it when my older cousin was an anti-iPod person. I loved everything about it and didn't feel gimmicky which the iPod was totally (milking its worth with increasing accessory items that are not needed).

heeeraldo: I should of made this clearer. I didn't want an MP3 player that was "cool", and obviously is a fashion accessory with people. Like a "must" have product. I didn't feel I wanted one or feel left out if I didn't get it.

I love the better alternatives compared with mainstream products. I personally think the Cowon range is that better alternative
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

The core reason of me purchasing the M3 was because I was sick of the amount of iPods floating around. Just didn't want to fall in that crowd because the iPod was a "cool" item.

people don't only buy them because they're "cool" - for some people, they fit their needs. a lot of the strength of iPod is iTunes integration. I'm a full time student with anywhere between two and four jobs at a time; I can't be arsed to maintain file trees and ID3 tags and make/maintain playlists, and so doing it all within iTunes works just fine for me.

I recognize your situation and requirements made the M3 the player for you, but keep in mind that sometimes, iPods are the best choice for a person.

Dec 20, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by heeeraldo
people don't only buy them because they're "cool" - for some people, they fit their needs. a lot of the strength of iPod is iTunes integration. I'm a full time student with anywhere between two and four jobs at a time; I can't be arsed to maintain file trees and ID3 tags and make/maintain playlists, and so doing it all within iTunes works just fine for me.

I recognize your situation and requirements made the M3 the player for you, but keep in mind that sometimes, iPods are the best choice for a person.

100% agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back