Ordering an Nano...
Dec 15, 2005 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

BodiesOfLight

500+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to time this right. Should I order it now (2 week wait at apple.com), or wait till the new year (might go on sale..?)? I don't have to have it in time for x-mas, but I don't have a player right now it's sort of torture. Is there a possiblility there'll be a new years deal on these?

PS - I'm wanting a 4Gb Black one.

Dec 15, 2005 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ah_long
if u wanna order it straight from apple, i doubt they will go on sale

Ahh, true. I probably won't get a better deal than the student discount (I'm a student). Might as well just do it. Order it now and I'll get it the week after x-mas (hopefully).

Dec 15, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 24
Yea, the way they are flying off the shelves I highly doubt you will see any price drops anytime soon. Even if they were to drop the prices I wouldn't see that happenning until summer sometime to make room for the next new product.

Dec 15, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 24
There's been no rumors to the effect of price reductions or capacity increases on the nano (only iPods ones have concerned the shuffle), but if you don't have to have any Apple product by Christmas, with their traditional big announce day of the year being the keynote at MacworldSF, and that being January 10th... I'd wait the two weeks.

Keep on eye on:
http://www.thinksecret.com/
http://www.macrumors.com/
http://www.appleinsider.com/

Dec 15, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 24
I think that the 2GB Nano will be phased out pretty quickly and it will be 4 and 6 or 4 and 8GB capacity for the same prices the 2 and 4 GB are going for today.

However, that will not happen for another month or two, so if you don't need the extra capacity then there's no real reason to wait.

I got lucky and scored a 4GB black nano (for my fiancee) at microcenter for $199 a few weeks ago, but that was due to them honoring a pricing mistake in their advertising circular. Even then, with tax and gasoline I only saved about $25 over what I could have gotten it direct from Apple for.

Dec 15, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmpage2
I think that the 2GB Nano will be phased out pretty quickly and it will be 4 and 6 or 4 and 8GB capacity for the same prices the 2 and 4 GB are going for today.

However, that will not happen for another month or two, so if you don't need the extra capacity then there's no real reason to wait.

I got lucky and scored a 4GB black nano (for my fiancee) at microcenter for $199 a few weeks ago, but that was due to them honoring a pricing mistake in their advertising circular. Even then, with tax and gasoline I only saved about $25 over what I could have gotten it direct from Apple for.

I agree except for how early everyone is predicting this to happen. I'd say not until 3 or 4 months from now will they drop prices.

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 24
Is the ipod nano even a good player in terms of sound quality? I've only owned the Creative MuVo 512MB TX FM and I've been pretty impressed with the sound quality. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with its 90+ db Signal to Noise Ratio. Does that in part define sound quality or just....how loud a player can go? I'm considering selling mine to get a bigger a 1G or bigger version. I'm looking at the Creative Zen Nano, but it has less than 90 db SNR. I'm wondering will that make the sound quality worse or what?

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #9 of 24
I do not want to turn this into an anti-ipod rant, but, I think the sound quality does not reach "my" personal standards. I don't own one or ever will. But, having listened to all my friend's ipod's, it really doesn't beat some of the niche players out there.

Apple haven't really thought about sound enhancement. Especially on compressed [lossy] files (which most files are now in use). For the average joe, they probably don't care, but I do. I mean, my MP3 player [Cowon M3 40GB]. They've thought about how the MP3 player will sound. It has BBE, Mach3Bass and its own customisable EQ. BBE is a well known company that distributes its sound enhancement product to many companys.

I'm sad Apple have not taken this into consideration. All it cares about is marketing and getting $$$$$$$$ out of peoples pockets. I do not think the Apple should have the respect and credability it has now. The average joe doesn't there are better MP3 players out on the market
biggrin.gif

The question about SNR.... I think the lower it is, the better. Most players are around the same as most use similiar hardware.

Dec 16, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tunster
I do not want to turn this into an anti-ipod rant, but, I think the sound quality does not reach "my" personal standards. I don't own one or ever will. But, having listened to all my friend's ipod's, it really doesn't beat some of the niche players out there.

Apple haven't really thought about sound enhancement. Especially on compressed [lossy] files (which most files are now in use). For the average joe, they probably don't care, but I do. I mean, my MP3 player [Cowon M3 40GB]. They've thought about how the MP3 player will sound. It has BBE, Mach3Bass and its own customisable EQ. BBE is a well known company that distributes its sound enhancement product to many companys.

I'm sad Apple have not taken this into consideration. All it cares about is marketing and getting $$$$$$$$ out of peoples pockets. I do not think the Apple should have the respect and credability it has now. The average joe doesn't there are better MP3 players out on the market
biggrin.gif

The question about SNR.... I think the lower it is, the better. Most players are around the same as most use similiar hardware.

I listened to the Nano at an Apple store (with TriPorts--what?) and was prefectly fine with the sound quality, inaddition to that, it's thinner than a pencil and looks like modern art. I guess unless you have some fine tuned ears (which I know some of you have) and are bothered by the SQ, it's an oustanding little device, it really is a great example to exellent engineering and design.

Before you say anything, just really consider how thin and small this device is.

I'm not a full on Apple supporter or anything either, I own a PC. I actually don't understand the reason their other products are so expensive (namely thier computers), when anymore, PCs perform just as good for less. Half of the price is most likely the name.

Dec 16, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

I do not want to turn this into an anti-ipod rant... I don't own one or ever will... All it [Apple] cares about is marketing and getting $$$$$$$$ out of peoples pockets.

It would be fun to see one of your anti-iPod rants some day.

Dec 16, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Johnny Storm (of the Fantastic Four)

Dec 17, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_X
The question about SNR.... I think the lower it is, the better.

???!

The higher the SNR, the better.

SNR = signal-to-noise ratio

higher SNR = more signal compared to background noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back