Ordered the HD25s on a whim... what can I expect?
Sep 14, 2006 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Sleestack

Headphoneus Supremus
I was ordering the XBOX360 and some games from Newegg the other day and noticed they carried the HD25s. I didn't like the other pair of closed cans I have owned (W1000s), but given that the HD25s were only $159 and that I need isolation from time to time, I decided to pick them up.

What kind of sound can I expect from these cans? Mud? I use 650s, 701s and am wating for delivery of customized Qualias.

They seem to use the same connectors as the 650s. If so, has anyone tried them in a balanced setup? I'm not expecting much, but thought it might be fun/funny to stick a $300 XLR cable on them and plug them into the SDS-XLR.

Sep 14, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 14
There was a very complete review done awhile back by saint.panda. It has pretty good comparisons to the HD650 and RS-1 as well as other phones. It was long but covered pretty much every thing. I'll try to get the link for you. I think it was a sticky in the Full featured reviews.

Sep 14, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
There was a very complete review done awhile back by saint.panda. It has pretty good comparisons to the HD650 and RS-1 as well as other phones. It was long but covered pretty much every thing. I'll try to get the link for you.

Thanks... I'm on Team 2lazy2search.

Sep 14, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 14
I used to not be a fan of the HD25-1 (probably because I paid Japan prices for mine, which was over $300 USD) but over time I have come to accept that it is a pretty good little closed portable can, especially for the price you got it at.

It's kind of hard to describe it against the HD650 or RS-1 - it's simply a much more limited headphone. On nearly all accounts, texture, speed, definition, coherence in tonal balance, spaciousness/imaging, I find it just doesn't compete.

But it is pretty good for what it is. It benefits greatly from a cable upgrade. I've compared a stock cable, against using a HD600 cable, against using a Blue Dragon and each was a meaningful improvement over the last.

I'm not a huge cable guy, but the Blue Dragon was really impressive with it. With the Blue Dragon it handily beat out the AKG K 181DJ and audio-technica ATH-ES7 as the king of the closed larger-portable category.

I've only used it with amplification (SR-71) and can't really speak to how well it scales with amplification. Who knows, the SDS-XLR may transform yet another can!

I will say as a parting thought, the HD25-1 certainly is not a romantic can. I personally find both the HD650 and RS-1 in their own way to be very romantic and seductive. I think the HD25-1 is much more straightforward workman like.

Good luck - either way you'll find out for yourself soon enough. I think it is worth it to invest in a good cable, esp if you use it regularly.

Best,

-Jason

Sep 14, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 14
Having read Saint's review and jjcha's impression's, I'm pretty sure these will be exactly what I'm looking for... cans that will be good for the occasional need for isolation and to use out of my Nano when I'm watching my son. I'm not expecting much in the fidelity department, but it sounds like I get more than I expect.

Sep 20, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #6 of 14
I got these today and while they are far from perfect, I am very happy I picked them up. To my ears, they very much have the Sennheiser sound, although they lack the air or the dynamic bass of the 650s. Instead, they have a smoother high end with less extension and more muted, controlled bass. I do find slight sibilance at louder volumes, but given their good isolation, I doubt I will ever even use them at those volumes. Nothing to talk about in the soundstage department, but a very fun presentation nonetheless.

I hated the way the wires were setup, so I turned the drivers upside down and completely detached the cable from the cans and headband. I reconfigured the wire to a normal Y cable and use it straight out of the Nano. I can also easily use the other 650 cables I have because they use the same connectors. I haven't tried XLR yet. My primary use will be with portable, but having the option is nice.

Build quality is just ok. I have no use for the split headband and wish the cans were attached to the headband in some better way. The plastic is stunning, especially on the headband, where it has the rigidity of a free barbershop comb. Nevertheless they are very comfortable and I really wasn't expecting much more at their price.

The size of the HD-25s surprised me. They were much smaller than I expected, which I really appreciated. A good size for portable use and they don't get hot. I generally can't use closed cans because they cover too much area and get uncomfortably hot within 5 minutes.

If someone would make a high end closed can the size of the HD-25s, I'd be all over it. The HD-25s provide enjoyable sound and enough versatility to make them interesting. I don't really have any other options, so for now, the HD-25s are my portable closed cans.... my only closed cans for that matter.

As for that XBOX360.... amazing graphics, fantastic games, excellent form factor and controls... but, an audiophile's noise nightmare. The loudest electronic component in my house.

Sep 20, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #7 of 14
You know there are two types of HD25's, right? The HD25-1's are the ones you want, imo, not the HD25SP or whatever it is, which is what you must have based on the price you mentioned.

Sep 20, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbucla2005
You know there are two types of HD25's, right? The HD25-1's are the ones you want, imo, not the HD25SP or whatever it is, which is what you must have based on the price you mentioned.

I thought the same thing, then I checked newegg and found that it IS the HD25-1. Sadly they're out of stock and there is no guarantee that they will remain the same price.

Sep 20, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbucla2005

No, they are definitely the HD-25-1s. I bought the last pair on Newegg.

Sep 20, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #10 of 14
That's a good price for a new pair.

Sep 20, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #13 of 14
I have two HD25 setups.....one pair is basically HME elements (600ohms) on the HD25-1 headband, and the other is HD25-1 elements on an HD25-SP headband. I tend to agree that for my usage the cheaper, simpler SP headband is preferred. However, the HME elements do a better job with sq over the usual 70 ohm.

Sep 20, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
I hated the way the wires were setup, so I turned the drivers upside down and completely detached the cable from the cans and headband. I reconfigured the wire to a normal Y cable and use it straight out of the Nano. I can also easily use the other 650 cables I have because they use the same connectors.

Given that you've already turned the cups upside down, I would go with the 650 cable exclusively. As others have said, try the velour pads as well. I don't notice any sound difference with the pads, but their too darn hard to put on to A/B.

Given the need for isolation, I really like my Senns. I was surprised how small they were when I first got them as well, certainly much small than my 501s, but then they don't surround the ear. Really, for the price you paid, a very nice set of cans (I paid about $20 less 2 years ago, but they seem to have gone through the rooof a while after that).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back