Opus DAC vs Buffalo DAC vs ??
Feb 23, 2009 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

xTr3Me.aka.Chris

Head-Fier
Hi,

im looking forward to build an amp for my soha -> hd650 setup in the price range of the opus and buffalo dac.

now my question is: which if the two dacs is the better one? i read quite a lot about both and it seems both are very good but which one is better?

or are there any other diy-dacs that might be interesting (in that price range)

greetings

Feb 23, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by xTr3Me.aka.Chris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

im looking forward to build an amp for my soha -> hd650 setup in the price range of the opus and buffalo dac.

now my question is: which if the two dacs is the better one? i read quite a lot about both and it seems both are very good but which one is better?

or are there any other diy-dacs that might be interesting (in that price range)

greetings

I think both dacs are very good. But, the choice of analog output stage is the deal breaker. I definitely prefer my Opus with a zap filter output stage vs the Buffalo dac with the stock Ballsie output stage. I also prefer my Zhalou D2.5C with a zap filter to the Buffalo. I have the suspicion that the Buffalo could be the best sounding dac of the group with a better output stage. But, imo, the Ballsie leaves a lot to be desired and handicaps the Buffalos ultimate performance.

Point 2 .... if you have a regular SOHA adding the JISBOS output buffer is a big improvement. The SOHA/ JISBOS is an excellent amp and one of my favorites.
beerchug.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 57
hi

thx for the interesting answer, an analog output stage would make it possible to use the dac for some active speekers right?

so u say that an opus dac with the zap filter is better than the regular buffalo but would the buffolo be much better than the opus+zap combination if u use him with the zap output stage too?

and btw: i already have the jisbos for my soha
wink.gif
- was a quite nice improvement

Feb 23, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 57
Quote:

hi

thx for the interesting answer, an analog output stage would make it possible to use the dac for some active speekers right?

so u say that an opus dac with the zap filter is better than the regular buffalo but would the buffolo be much better than the opus+zap combination if u use him with the zap output stage too?

and btw: i already have the jisbos for my soha
wink.gif
- was a quite nice improvement

No idea about using the dac with active speakers. But, I would think so.

I also said ....

I have the suspicion that the Buffalo could be the best sounding dac of the group with a better output stage.

jisbos =
beerchug.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 57
Ok that sounds interesting.

when i get this kit: The Buffalo DAC
for 219$ and the zap filter i got everything i need besides a case right?

im a friend of complete kits because i want to be sure that all parts fit :p

edit: wow, the zap filters are rly much more expensive than i expected them to be, 177€/~220$ is quite much.
maybe i can use the buffalo with its own outputstage to start... but mb its much worse? :X

Feb 23, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 57
Quote:

I have the suspicion that the Buffalo could be the best sounding dac of the group with a better output stage. But, imo, the Ballsie leaves a lot to be desired and handicaps the Buffalos ultimate performance.

Did you mean IVY instead of Ballsie?

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 57
Quote:

Ok that sounds interesting.

when i get this kit: The Buffalo DAC
for 219$ and the zap filter i got everything i need besides a case right?

im a friend of complete kits because i want to be sure that all parts fit :p

edit: wow, the zap filters are rly much more expensive than i expected them to be, 177€/~220$ is quite much.
maybe i can use the buffalo with its own outputstage to start... but mb its much worse? :X

I think making your decision based on one person's opinion is bad idea. Many find the ivy to be a very good line stage.

I'll just add that when I read something like this:
"We have used only custom made MICA capacitors, which are magnitudes better than even polypropylenes, since MICA caps have lower loss factor, and also it is a natural material, where PP is a plastic. The conductor plates in the capacitor is pure silver, terminated with soft glowed copper wires. (source LC Audio) "
I get very suspicious. Somehow silver plates and natural material should sound better? Doesn't sound like the reasoning of an EE.

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #8 of 57
Well the point is that i have no chance to listen to the different dacs before building them myself.

and when i get the buffalo or the opus dac i also need the ivy stage to use them right?

and btw: im not only interested in the opus and the buffalo dac, mb there are other interesting dacs in this price range?

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #9 of 57
Quote:

Well the point is that i have no chance to listen to the different dacs before building them myself.

and when i get the buffalo or the opus dac i also need the ivy stage to use them right?

and btw: im not only interested in the opus and the buffalo dac, mb there are other interesting dacs in this price range?

The OPUS can be used without the IVY. The Buffalo should be used with IVY. But the OPUS needs a receiver board and the Buffalo does not except if you want to use USB input. So the simplest OPUS setup is two boards, one PS; the simplest buffalo is two boards, two supplies. On paper, the buffalo is equivalent to 3 OPUS boards: the receiver, the reclocker and the DAC. I personally have the OPUS and I'm waiting for the next batch of Buffalo...

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 57
The second generation Buffalo will actually change this a bit. We are planning to branch the Buffalo into two separate versions.

The standard version will be two channel, and incorporate two mono IVY II (enhanced version of the IVY) into the board. It will have S/PDIF, I2S and DSD inputs, like the current board. It will require an external supply for digital, and one or two external supplies for the analog stages (up to user). There are lots of upgrades from the first generation Buffalo, not just the chip.

The other version, which we refer to as the "tweaker" version, is still being designed. It will likely be more of a kit (though hole parts, etc), support 8 channels, no on-board regulators or output stage, and require more know-how to use. It will really be a development platform for the chip.

This is early information, so details may (will) change. Just a heads up.

Feb 24, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #11 of 57
well i guess the buffalo and also the one will be too expensive for me because i will also need the ivy and so on, thx for the information.

so when i get the opus dac with usb receiver i have a quite nice dac for usage with a pc and i can use it with my soha via rca right?

Feb 24, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and incorporate two mono IVY II (enhanced version of the IVY) into the board. ...
This is early information, so details may (will) change. Just a heads up.

Brian, that is very nice!. I was thinking of requesting that integration as there is not much to tweak in the IVY boards and with two mono IVYs you just have too many wires. Buffalo2V1 is looking better and better. But would it be possible to just use a single analog supply? The Buffalo needs like 7V and the opamps 15V.

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #13 of 57
I went down the upgrade road pretty quickly. I've had HD 650's for about 5 years but never really invested in a proper source until a few months ago. I bought a LD MK V, and used the analog outs from my sound card. It sounded pretty good, then I finished my Buffalo DAC and it definitely brought things to a whole new level. Then upgraded my amp again and the sound jumped to a whole different level. I think the Buffalo is a great sounding DAC that is worthy of any amp. I just watched my first movie with it last night and cannot believe the sense of layered sound you get with it. I think the IVY sounds great, and in the future you could always replace it with the new output stage Twisted pear is developing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back