Optimus CD3400: hookup options?
Jul 5, 2003 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

davidmiya

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I just picked up an Optimus CD3400 that I saw posted on eBay a few days ago. Surprisingly, nobody had bid for it, so I promptly took the "Buy it Now" option
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, I've always been curious about the difference between the line-out and the digital out on CD players. I know that the Optimus has both on it. However, I'm not sure which one I should use. All I know so far is that line-outs supposedly don't modify the signal and instead feed it directly to the line-out output jack. I have no clue with digital out jacks do and what kind of cable they take.

Oh, and the setup I plan to use with the Optimus CD3400 is a JMT Meta42 Amp and Senn HD600's.

Any suggests on output choices/cable for the Optimus would be highly appreciated!

Jul 5, 2003 at 10:42 AM Post #2 of 8
Out of sheer curiousity, could you post a link for the auction?

<starts kicking himself>

Jul 5, 2003 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by davidmiya
Anyways, I've always been curious about the difference between the line-out and the digital out on CD players. I know that the Optimus has both on it. However, I'm not sure which one I should use. All I know so far is that line-outs supposedly don't modify the signal and instead feed it directly to the line-out output jack. I have no clue with digital out jacks do and what kind of cable they take.

Ok, in simple terms this is what's happening inside a player: The digital data is read from the CD, converted by the Digital/Analog converter into an analog signal, then this signal is amplified to a level sufficient to drive your headphones. A line out takes the signal right after it leaves the DAC (there may still be a buffer involved, but let's keep it simple), bypassing the internal amplifier (and volume control).
The digital out gives you the digital signal before it is converted to analog, i.e. bypassing the internal DAC. So to listen through the digital out, you need an external DAC.

Jul 5, 2003 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 8
Well, it all depends on the internal DAC of the player. As a rule of thumb though, an external DAC will generally be better than a stock dac. In the 3400s case, it was well regarded as a transport(external dac) over its line out performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back