Optimizing my Imac Setup - help!
Sep 11, 2011 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

slyjoker87

New Head-Fier
I'm just starting to get more interested in improving my computer set up in terms of the audio. I am running a 27" Imac core i7 (mid 2010) with no external speakers. I purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD595's over the weekend, and the sound is amazing as opposed to the Sony MDR-V150's I was rocking before. I am mostly listening to music stored at 192 kpbs, and I haven't detected any flaws in my rips yet. 

A couple of things I am trying to figure out, but am somewhat stumped:

1. Would I really benefit much from an DAC/AMP?

I get mixed information when I search threads. Some people think that the Imac onboard sound is enough to drive my headphones, but others say that they could use a boost. At the very least, I think that it is possible for these to be boosted a bit in the bass department. 

2. I'd like to easily switch between headphones and speakers, what is the easiest way?

Right now, I have to plug/un-plug my headphones if I want to switch between the imac speakers and the headphones. This is annoying. If I had an external DAC or soundcard, I could switch sound outputs via the OS (option + click sound icon)

Also, if anyone has any introductory threads that I should absolutely read, I would greatly appreciate your recommendations. 

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Try 96 and 2 ch 32 bit and give a listen.

I'm testing it now, and I hear something very subtle (I think). I am not a trained musician, nor am I a sound engineer. In fact, I'm in law school. I do tend to notice small things, but I have a hard time deciding if it is better to notice them or not.

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #10 of 16
It will have zero effect. Not sure why WarriorAnt is suggesting it.

To answer your original question though: Macs have a single chip which does the digital to analogue conversion and powers the audio/headphone output. Compare this to dedicated audio gear where dedicated circuits, or even dedicated whole components handle each thing: Converting the digital data to an analogue signal, then amplifying it with control to drive a physical diaphragm well with low distortion.

Car analogies suck, but compare a family van that is designed to be comfortable, carry the kids and shopping with a racing car. We both know which is going to be better going around a track because one is designed for that in mind specifically whereas the other is compromised to be able to do many things.

That being said, the audio output of modern Apple computers is pretty good. What you will ideally get from using dedicated audio gear is more clarity, not just more bass. If you want more bass, buy headphones that have more bass.  If you are interested in more clarity, it's going to be a waste of money buying gear when you are removing clarity by ripping CDs or whatever to 192k MP3s. Though it may be effectively difficult to tell with no special or only cheap audio gear (people have tested this in the Sound Science forum and you can do so yourself), it's a bit pointless to spend money on pursuing great clarity when the ripping process effectively removes a measurable chunk of it.

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:

To answer your original question though: Macs have a single chip which does the digital to analogue conversion and powers the audio/headphone output. Compare this to dedicated audio gear where dedicated circuits, or even dedicated whole components handle each thing: Converting the digital data to an analogue signal, then amplifying it with control to drive a physical diaphragm well with low distortion.

Car analogies suck, but compare a family van that is designed to be comfortable, carry the kids and shopping with a racing car. We both know which is going to be better going around a track because one is designed for that in mind specifically whereas the other is compromised to be able to do many things.

That being said, the audio output of modern Apple computers is pretty good. What you will ideally get from using dedicated audio gear is more clarity, not just more bass. If you want more bass, buy headphones that have more bass.  If you are interested in more clarity, it's going to be a waste of money buying gear when you are removing clarity by ripping CDs or whatever to 192k MP3s. Though it may be effectively difficult to tell with no special or only cheap audio gear (people have tested this in the Sound Science forum and you can do so yourself), it's a bit pointless to spend money on pursuing great clarity when the ripping process effectively removes a measurable chunk of it.

You make good points, and hopefully I will get around to re-ripping my cd collection. However, I have been ripping since about 2001, and some of the cd's are missing or in terrible shape. Not only that, but I've done my fair share of trading and borrowing over time.

Right now, I am trying to figure out what will help make my setup more convenient. I hate having to manually unplug my headphones when I want to listen on speakers. I could justify dropping 100-200 bucks on some gear that would improve clarity for any new music I rip while also allowing me to keep my headphones plugged in while using speakers. 

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 16

Quote:

I see my confusion now.  I saw the OP's "192 kpbs"  and mistook it for 192000.0 Hz, which is what I use when playing files formatted at 192000.0 Hz with my DAC-2. 

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #13 of 16
Okay, so now my issue is what I can / should buy to allow for great listening when I rip new music in lossless formats, but will also allow me to keep my headphones plugged in and switch between headphone and speaker set-ups. 

My potential budget is $200, but if I can buy something that works and allows for expansion for less that would be ideal. 

Nov 27, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #15 of 16
I haven't, but I also haven't had a lot of time to work on it. I'm also broke right now! 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back