Optimal Speaker Position for This Room? (pic enclosed)
Jul 23, 2007 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

terance

1000+ Head-Fier
IMG_2106.jpg

The door will prove to be a little bit of a problem.

the room actually extends far behind this picture, so that is also a little bit of a pain to work with.

thanks, this is really my first time worrying about speaker set up.

-mattk

Jul 23, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
keep your speaker away from the wall. they should form an equilateral triangle.

so the left and right speakers should be an equal ammount from the wall?

by triangle do you mean my speakers should be at an angle? or directly towards the wall?

Jul 23, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
by triangle do you mean my speakers should be at an angle? or directly towards the wall?

it depends on the speaker. whatever sounds best.

the wall creates reflections so you want to keep your speakers at least a feet away.

Jul 23, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so the left and right speakers should be an equal ammount from the wall?

If you could turn the desk so both speakers face the wall you might get a small benefit, as each speaker will interact with that wall in a similar manner. Equilateral triangle refers to the speakers being the same distance apart as they are from you. In this case you're setting them up on your desk, so measure the distance between them (go from the center to the center), and try to sit that distance from them. Toeing them in a bit to face you will direct more treble directly at you, tune to your liking. Leaving them facing straight will result in a larger perceived soundstage.

Yeah, as above try and get a foot between them and the wall.

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 17
does the way they are currently positioned make them more prone to large amounts of bass?

they sound really really bassy, and I don't know if it's just crappy speakers, or me?

got some new ones on the way, I might just make a dedicated listening area in my room, it's much smaller, and i've got alot more to work with

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 17
Jul 24, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this should be a useful read for you.

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...ing=Room+Setup

I was referred to that article a while ago when I was deciding speaker placement.

Doesnt putting speakers further apart make the soundstage bigger? In those pictures it seemes like they sacrifice a lot of that distance.
diagrama.jpg

and what is the best place to put the surrounds in a room shaped like that?

Jul 24, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #14 of 17
Why is everybody forgetting about the ceiling shot in that pic..how part of it comes down can make a gigantic difference in sound!

oh yeah this is a headphone message board, not a acoustic board..

Dude I have two helpful hints..
play with them your self and listen what sounds best...move the little ****ers all over the place!

second is learn what are your walls made of, what is inside them, what is behind them, ceiling height, what makes up the ceiling, what is below you, etc etc....

acoustics circle on audio circle AND www.michaelgreenaudio.com will help you BUT they will have two different ideas for you to try..so try both!

Jul 24, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this should be a useful read for you.

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...ing=Room+Setup

I was referred to that article a while ago when I was deciding speaker placement.

Oh, Cardas... what'll they apply the golden ratio to next?! (laugh track)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back