Optical Toslink Sound Output
Nov 30, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 10
Any optical output is the same, but one thing you should check is that the soundcard can output audio without resampling or other mandatory processing of the signal. As long as this holds, it doesn't matter which soundcard (with an optical out) you get—spend the money on a good DAC instead!

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 10
Ok cool thats what I thought Thanks!!!

Yeah I have a Denon AVR 2808CI Reciever
With Burr Brown Dacs

Can someone recommend me a good sound card
that doesn't have re sampling as mentioned above?

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any optical output is the same, but one thing you should check is that the soundcard can output audio without resampling or other mandatory processing of the signal. As long as this holds, it doesn't matter which soundcard (with an optical out) you get—spend the money on a good DAC instead!

Actually there can be a large difference depending on the quality of the clock. Here is one person's experience comparing the digital connections between the 1820m and the AP192. It is difficult to read due to his rough english but there is a lot of good details including info on upgrading the clock.

WordClock Heaven / can you help ? i88x digi002r saffire focusrite art mbox1 sytek dacs green sp828 other [1] - RightMark Forums

Here are some snipets.

"Now i conencted from M-Audio Audiophile 192 s/pdif to emu.com 1820m s/pdif in,
and in DSP PatchMix selected clock source : S/PDIF

amazing but predictable M-Audio AP192 Clock Sounds like 100% better Than 1820m clock

But Alesis Ai-2 clock sounds like 3OO% better"

"also i noticed that hearing to see lip-sync in the TV screen with sound in-processed-out coming with 1820m to test the latency
I noticed that original 1820m clock ADDS Latency!!!!!!!
with M-Audio AP192 S/PDIF clock or Alesis Ai-2 WorldClock Latency you feel it gets 50% less!
with same buffersize , real time , in mackie tracktion 2"

Dec 4, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodlum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually there can be a large difference depending on the quality of the clock. Here is one person's experience comparing the digital connections between the 1820m and the AP192. It is difficult to read due to his rough english but there is a lot of good details including info on upgrading the clock.

Ah, well, I would attribute “one person's experience” in this case entirely to psychoacoustics. Everyone can decide for themselves how much money and effort they are willing to spend on digital clocks and interconnects, when they're not even syncing multiple digital sources to one another. I would dare anyone interested to try a double-blind comparison, however.

“But Alesis Ai-2 clock sounds like 3OO% better”

L'Oreal extra volume mascara gives you “like 400%” thicker eyelashes, too, and you're worth it. =)

Dec 4, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodlum /img/forum/go_quote.gif

WordClock Heaven / can you help ? i88x digi002r saffire focusrite art mbox1 sytek dacs green sp828 other [1] - RightMark Forums

Here are some snipets.

"Now i conencted from M-Audio Audiophile 192 s/pdif to emu.com 1820m s/pdif in,
and in DSP PatchMix selected clock source : S/PDIF

amazing but predictable M-Audio AP192 Clock Sounds like 100% better Than 1820m clock

But Alesis Ai-2 clock sounds like 3OO% better"

"also i noticed that hearing to see lip-sync in the TV screen with sound in-processed-out coming with 1820m to test the latency
I noticed that original 1820m clock ADDS Latency!!!!!!!
with M-Audio AP192 S/PDIF clock or Alesis Ai-2 WorldClock Latency you feel it gets 50% less!
with same buffersize , real time , in mackie tracktion 2"

Sorry but total BS, I'd have said the 1820M (basically a 1212M) is as good as you will get from a relatively low priced professional sound card, I would be surprised if there were even a tiny 2% difference, nevermind those BS figures quoted above.
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #10 of 10
I've used the Turtle Beach Micro ($30) to deliver an optical out to Z5500 speakers. Also, some motherboards have built-in optical out, which would probably do the trick for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back