Optical to analogue DAC. Ibasso D1??? advice
Apr 2, 2008 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Lock

Head-Fier
Hi everyone, my first post on here so please be gentle.

Most of my music is now digital and I recently started using Logic on my Mac. I love it, but unfortunately the analogue 3.5 jack from the laptop leaves much to be desired!!.

I'm looking for a decent porable DAC that supports optical to analogue. The ibasso D1 seems to meet the bill and is a very good price.

I'd like to hear other peoples advice and also. Where can I get a D1 in the UK. Can't seem to find anything useful through google.

thanks in advance

Apr 2, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 14
The old discontinued Headroom Micro DAC may be a better bet... many here swear by it (including myself). The only downside is that you can't charge batteries inside the unit. It takes 2x9v, so you need to have a seperate charger handy. Battery life is also not great, but it sounds fantastic, which is the main point.

You could try posting on the for sale/trade forum and see if you can get one.

Apr 2, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 14
Since the New D2 does not have the optical input like the old D1, your best best is to find someone selling a used D! here on the FS board. Since you only have 2 posts, you would have to PM someone who is selling one.

I think this is the best option, because the Headroom micro DAC is a little too big.

Apr 2, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the New D2 does not have the optical input like the old D1, your best best is to find someone selling a used D! here on the FS board. Since you only have 2 posts, you would have to PM someone who is selling one.

I think this is the best option, because the Headroom micro DAC is a little too big.

Agree, also you can use the D1 as an all-in-one DAC and amp, whereas the Micro DAC you'd need a seperate amp, so it's a lot more bulky.

Apr 2, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 14
i've listened to both. The microdac sounds better. I sold the D1. However as lexnasa pointed out, the D1 is an amp+dac whereas the microdac is a dac only and you'd need a separate amp. So from a portability standpoint the D1 wins and it also has better battery life.

Apr 2, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 14
Anyone in the UK have one for sale? Searched the for sale section but the D1s seem to sell quick! and I cannot post there yet. keep me posted!

And people are right, the amp functionality will be very usefull to me too..... the hunt begins!

Apr 2, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

True, but since you are using logic on a mac, wouldnt it be pretty smart to use a usb input too (considering that it is digital, which is same as optical)?
that means a D2 would be available as a choice.

Apr 2, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, but since you are using logic on a mac, wouldnt it be pretty smart to use a usb input too (considering that it is digital, which is same as optical)?
that means a D2 would be available as a choice.

I have concidered a USB only device, but really need the option.

The macbook only has 2 USB +1 firewire. I have and external HD running on 1 usb and the other is used for a variety of peripherals at different times. For this reason the optical makes best use of the laptops connections.

I do have a couple of other devices which make optical more handy, Airport express with Airtunes for one. It only supports digital music over optical, although this is never going to be used for audiophile level quality only convenience.

I may have to settle for a D2 depending what's out there but D1 or comparable alternative (price&connectivity) seems the best option.

Apr 2, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #10 of 14
well, if you are leaning towards more connectivity, D1 will be your best bet.
but like myself, I use my macbook (yes, 2 usb and firewire) and all i do is usb hub everything. considering that external hdd usually run on their own power (unless 2.5) it can connect to a hub too.

but if u do want a better price, D2 is a good option, via usb. I am sure there are ways to airtunes digital music over usb... i think you just need to tweak it via MIDI or SOUND options.

Apr 2, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lexnasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The old discontinued Headroom Micro DAC may be a better bet... many here swear by it (including myself).......You could try posting on the for sale/trade forum and see if you can get one.

I believe Headroom still has a few new ones left as "B-stock" for $299. Last week they had 9 left...get'em while you can!

Apr 2, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #12 of 14
I have Ibasso D1 and I think it's great with my PC (even better after oppam rolling..!) But I now I wanna try some other Tube DAC/AMP combo. I wonder what'd be the best option for that. Btw, I have my Ibasso D1 for sale to raise the money for the tube DAC/AMP, pm me if anybody's interested, thanx!

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone, my first post on here so please be gentle.

Most of my music is now digital and I recently started using Logic on my Mac. I love it, but unfortunately the analogue 3.5 jack from the laptop leaves much to be desired!!.

I'm looking for a decent porable DAC that supports optical to analogue. The ibasso D1 seems to meet the bill and is a very good price.

I'd like to hear other peoples advice and also. Where can I get a D1 in the UK. Can't seem to find anything useful through google.

thanks in advance

I have sent you a Private Message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back