Optical cord question
Aug 17, 2006 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

JaGWiRE

Headphoneus Supremus
A minute ago I was playing around with my new optical switch checking to make sure the connections work fine. In the proecss, I disconnected and reconnected a few cords. The optical switch has mini optical - full size optical adapters, and one of the optical cord connectors seemed to stick to one of the adapters, so I pulled it out with all my might, and it seems that the little gold piece of the connector is gone (I think it's stuck inside the mini adapter.) Is this okay? Will the cord still work, or is the gold thing needed?

Edit : Just looked at the other connector on the cable and it doesn't seem to have the gold thing over it either. Maybe this cable never had the gold thing that is on my other optical cable?

Aug 18, 2006 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 2
I'm not sure what the little gold thing is, but it could be one of the covers they put on the tips to protect them. If that came off and got stuck in your system, it could block the signal and keep it from working. Look inside the jack with a flashlight and see if it's in there. If it is, you will need to get it out.

Anyway, you should plug it in and see what happens. If the signal is blocked or the cable damaged, it just won't play. Nothing will get hurt if it doesn't work, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back