optical cable from Apple Airport Expess to DAC
Jan 21, 2006 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

dcginc

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently running an analog signal out of my Apple Airport Express into my Headroom Comic Amp. But I'm looking to buy a Meridian DAC and wonder what cable brand etc I should consider if I go the digital out on the Airport Express. I know it's a toslink type cable..

thxs.

Jan 21, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 20
Well, what you need is optical miniplug to toslink at the length you need. Considering the value of your rig (Go Team Cosmic Rockers
biggrin.gif
) you may want to see whether you can hunt down a cable that employs glass instead of plastic. Assuming you're not going to have a cablerun of more than a couple of feet even that might be overkill. Just get one with connectors that do not look too flimsy so they connect well. It's the big advantage of optical, you will be perfectly fine with a $15 cable which looks nice, and even you most basic $3 connection will do.

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 20
you can get those glass optical cables for less if you look around. there's some on ebay for less than half the price (same cable) right now.

Jan 23, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 20
I got mine off of Parts express, Its a Dayton Glass toslink. I got that mini adapter like posted above, works great!

Jan 23, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 20
If you are going to spend the money on a Meridian DAC, you might as well get a nice quality cable. Van Den Hul Optocoupler II can be bought with a mini on one end for the Airport Express and a regular Toslink connector on the DAC end:

http://www.vandenhul.com/cable/optocplr.htm

Jan 23, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #7 of 20
Honestly in optical cables, i dont think special geometries will really make a difference. If it's a glass optical cable im (assuming) that this will be the best, and fancy wording like this van one don't make much of a difference.

Jan 23, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040
Honestly in optical cables, i dont think special geometries will really make a difference. If it's a glass optical cable im (assuming) that this will be the best, and fancy wording like this van one don't make much of a difference.

The VDH is not that expensive, though. Might not be glass? At least I don't see them make any statements about the material...

/JF

Jan 23, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiiEf
The VDH is not that expensive, though. Might not be glass? At least I don't see them make any statements about the material...

/JF

Here the US link to buy: http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID51342...ler-Mk-ll.aspx

I've been reading up about digital cables on Audiogon. The ones that believe there is a difference all seem to think this is the best optical cable regardless of what it's made of. Many find it equal to much higher priced coaxial cables.

I should be getting my cable today. I currently have a Monster Interlink LightSpeed 100 hooked up to an Airport Express. I'll let you know if it makes a difference.

Jan 23, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
I should be getting my cable today. I currently have a Monster Interlink LightSpeed 100 hooked up to an Airport Express. I'll let you know if it makes a difference.

Yeah, definitely let us know. I was actually quite certain there's probably no audible difference relative to better ones such as the Glass Toslink, but I bought my Optocoupler simply because I like the way it looked. Jjcha was over and he wanted to buy one too because he was also impressed with its build quality and looks.

Jan 23, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
Yeah, definitely let us know. I was actually quite certain there's probably no audible difference relative to better ones such as the Glass Toslink, but I bought my Optocoupler simply because I like the way it looked. Jjcha was over and he wanted to buy one too because he was also impressed with its build quality and looks.

Well at least it will match my iMac. I didn't think there should be difference with digital cables but when I was using a pc with an emu 1212, I tried switching between the toslink and coaxial inputs on my DAC and thought the coaxial sounded better. Somehow more natural. I was surprised to hear the difference. I heard the Optocoupler was supposed to be as good a coaxial, so I should be happy.

Jan 24, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #12 of 20
Well I got the cable. It is very well constructed. I have my DAC in a hard to get place, so I didn't want to keep swapping cables, so I listened to a few things one last time with the Monster cable and then switched to the Optocoupler.

It could be a placebo effect, but I definately hear an improvement with the Optocoupler. Everything seems a little cleaner, more refined, with better seperation. I seem to be noticing little things in the background I've never noticed before. I wouldn't say it's a dramatic effect or anything but it is an improvement.

Jan 24, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #13 of 20
i was successfully in winning a Meridian 203 DAC. I'll pick up locally in my home town, and will order one of the cables mentioned above... then use some Harmonic Technology Pro Silways III from the back of the DAC into my Headroom Cosmic headphone amp to drive my stock cabled senn 650's..

next stop... audio art exinox (sp) headphone cables......

thxs again... dcg.

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
I heard the Optocoupler was supposed to be as good a coaxial, so I should be happy.

Previously out of my DVD player into a Benchmark DAC1, I couldn't tell the difference between the Optocoupler Toslink and my Harmonic Technology Cyberlink Copper Coax cable, so I figured the Optocoupler was a very nice cable as well.

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #15 of 20
i was considering HT's optical, but think i'll like the VDH just fine. it has been ordered...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back