Opportunity to upgrade to HD 650s...
Feb 13, 2005 at 1:46 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay
I don't feel that the Meridian GO8 is even a good source for the HD650 because the compact disc format itself sucks.Analog is the only way to go if one is serious.It just depends how picky you are.Come to think of it, the LP sucks too.There is no such thing as a good source.

I use my computer as a source and I have no plans on upgrading it because it sounds damn good enough to me. If I do upgrade I'll get a DAC to plug into my Airport Express. I occasionally use vinyl, tape or CD but the convenience of iTunes has me hooked and I can't use anything else. I find a point in audio where I don't care about the upgrade. I want the music to sound good and I find that if you go too high end the music doesn't sound good anymore.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
I want the music to sound good and I find that if you go too high end the music doesn't sound good anymore.
smily_headphones1.gif

That has been my catch-22 in regards to high end audio! I've certainly had those momemnts listening to a particular song on a really high end system where it just gave me goosebumps. Other times not. But with all the certainty i can muster, I find I am always tapping my fingers on the steering wheel when driving the car and cranking the tunes. Much poorer sound quality, but it just seems to generate a whole hell of lot more emotion! Don't have the sub base, don't have the detail to hear the bongo drummer's deep breaths, or the page turning of the second clarinet section. Don't get me wrong, i love both ends of the spectrum and would give up neither.

Feb 13, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #19 of 25
I'd get the 650. Even if you dont upgrade anything else, it's probably worth the money, and has more potential if you ever do feel like upgrading.

However, if you chose not to upgrade you should probably leave headfi or something, because if you're happy with your headphones as is, then headfi will just continually taunt you into thinking twice about it, and you'll end up selling the 595s and buying 650s anyway, for more difference then $130

That's why i bought ms-2. I was gonna buy something lower, but feared upgraditis, so went for the MS-2 instead, Not much is making me want to upgrade them, as they're generally regarded as quality phones. While ms-pro may be better, it doesn't get much talk here compared to ms-2. 650s get lotsa talk.

.. but having said that, i'm still looking to buy some new headphones anyway :/ not upgrading, just buying a totally different type for different styles of music. Just cant win on headfi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by earache
That has been my catch-22 in regards to high end audio! I've certainly had those momemnts listening to a particular song on a really high end system where it just gave me goosebumps. Other times not. But with all the certainty i can muster, I find I am always tapping my fingers on the steering wheel when driving the car and cranking the tunes. Much poorer sound quality, but it just seems to generate a whole hell of lot more emotion! Don't have the sub base, don't have the detail to hear the bongo drummer's deep breaths, or the page turning of the second clarinet section. Don't get me wrong, i love both ends of the spectrum and would give up neither.

I gotta agree there. I listen to a lot of indie music so not of all of it is recorded in the highest quality. The static on one of my old favourite songs has become so aparent now that i cannot listen to it without changing to some more foregiving headphones.

Feb 13, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Wow ... you must be having a real bad day.
eek3.gif

600smile.gif

Actually I am having a very good day but my coffee did seem a bit strong this morning.Finding a source to use for a great sound system is a chore of frustation and listening to an HD650 through an Ipod may sound good enough to many but it will never sound great.The search for high fidelity never ends.

Feb 13, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #21 of 25
My own point is that a substantial assertion like "HD650 is superior to HD595" is basicly inappropriate, because of the sense of 'complementary' I get out of the couple.

In short--
HD650: more 'formally perfect', 'ultimately competent';
HD595: more 'subjectively musical' just where/when the 650 happens to give that feel of 'unreal/aseptic truth' (emphasizing it
wink.gif
confused.gif
).

As such, each of them has some kind of music where it truly excels.

I'd say--
HD650: orchestral music, 'wall-of-sound' rock;
HD595: intimist music - see acoustic folk, some country, some 'quiet' rock/blues.

Feb 13, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #22 of 25
What kind of wine is good with the 590s as opposed to the 650s?

See ya
Steve

Feb 13, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by earache
Much poorer sound quality, but it just seems to generate a whole hell of lot more emotion!

100% agree with you guys ! I keep a real-low-fi beocenter 2800 for background fm listening in my room. When I hear one music that I like I turn to main system to enjoy it in better resolution ... suddenly it doesn't seem as enjoyable.
plainface.gif

Feb 13, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #25 of 25
OOps. As I put it above, it was just like "Who dares deny that HD650 is superior?"
icon10.gif

I forgot to say that being disposed to put the subjective ahead of the objective (while the HD595 really does pretty well all round anyhow), being more direct and 'passionate' enough to be more involving with certain music, the 595 ties overall with HD650 for emotional involvment. To my ears.

In sum, I love 'em both.
tongue.gif
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back