Opportunity to upgrade to HD 650s...
Feb 12, 2005 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

gnagel

Head-Fier
I purchased the Sennheiser 595s about three weeks ago. The vendor (Headroom) has a 30 day exchange policy. I have about 4 more days to decide if I should upgrade from the 595s to the 650s. The incremental cost is $130.

Does this upgrade make sense for the money? Most of the time I am listening to a 3rd generation iPod with a Supermacro amp. My songs are encoded at 224 AAC and my listening preferences are jazz, classical and pop.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Feb 12, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 25
With an amp, imo 650 are worth roughly 1.5x price of 595, so it's about right and I will be indifferent. I hope you didn't pay full $450 price since 650s are recently discounted quite a lot, closer to $300.

Another way to look at it is whether you really wished for more bass slam and can use extra details from your 595. Also, knowing that you have 'top of the line' model would surely reduce the upgradeitis feeling, at least for some time.

Btw both are not really portable phones, but you already knew that.

Feb 12, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 25
I can almost disagree with this.

While I think that you'd like the HD650s a lot, don't you think a better source or amp would be a more worthwhile purchase?

While the sound signitures will be different (last time I heard the HD6/5 series I was impressed with the sound quality) do you think that the difference would be noticable enough on such a source?

I do not doubt that your amp can't power the HD650s, but your source is questionable.

It seems that since the iPod is not known for having a good soundstage, good detail, or good bass, that there may be very little that would actually benefit greatly, as far as the "strong points" of the HD650s go. A difference, you'll definitely notice - but I don't know if you'll see a huge IMPROVEMENT, if you get what I mean.

Feb 12, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 25
Well, stereophile did objectively measure ipod's output and found them to be as good as a standalone cd player. And subjectively, at least in my system, they sound quite good. With level matched (ipod's a low 1 volt vs cdp's 2V) and lossless it would be quite difficult to tell the difference. Hmm .. I should apply for team tin ear soon.

600smile.gif

Feb 12, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnagel
I purchased the Sennheiser 595s about three weeks ago. The vendor (Headroom) has a 30 day exchange policy. I have about 4 more days to decide if I should upgrade from the 595s to the 650s. The incremental cost is $130.

Does this upgrade make sense for the money? Most of the time I am listening to a 3rd generation iPod with a Supermacro amp. My songs are encoded at 224 AAC and my listening preferences are jazz, classical and pop.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

If you plan on getting an amplifier to properly drive the power hungry HD650s then the answer is yes go for it otherwise stick with what you have.

Feb 12, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #8 of 25
A couple variables, but I've tried the HD555 and SM off an iPod and currently listen to the HD650 and SM/SR71 off same (using 256 kbps) and the difference is substantial. Does that apply to the HD595, not sure.

But the biggest qualm about the iPod > X > HD650 combo is that the iPod and Senn are both kinda laid back. Both these are usually good, but maybe not as much together. If the iPod had a better EQ, or if you add a Zu (or maybe Silver Dragon) this moves things forward for my tastes, but the former isn't the case and the second brings your investment to much higher than the HD595.

I don't know which is the right move, but even comparing an the iPod to the Airport Express, the latter may be a 'higher-end' (or at least bit more dynamic) source with better synergy with the HD650.

EDIT: Hey ssportclay (KSU grad here), the SM does power the Senns quite well.

Feb 12, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 25
after you purchase the HD650, you're gonna want to upgrade the source, amp, interconencts, and headphone cables.

this will surpase your initial thought of an "incremental cost is $130" upgrade.

it all depends on how much loose Benjamins you got lying around my friend.

Feb 13, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #10 of 25
After considering everyone's input, I am going to stick with my HD 595s for now. I don't want to go down the path of "upgrading" my source (one year old iPod), my amp (one month old Supermacro) and my 26 day old headphones!

I'll just stop the madness and stay with the 595s for a while. Maybe in a year or two I'll initiate another spending spree.

Feb 13, 2005 at 9:55 AM Post #11 of 25
Wise resoultion. Enjoy your HD595, they're great (even when you can choose between listening to them or the HD650).
600smile.gif

Feb 13, 2005 at 10:42 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
It seems that since the iPod is not known for having a good soundstage, good detail, or good bass, that there may be very little that would actually benefit greatly, as far as the "strong points" of the HD650s go. A difference, you'll definitely notice - but I don't know if you'll see a huge IMPROVEMENT, if you get what I mean.

That's just crap (no offence.
smily_headphones1.gif
). The iPod is a decent source for the HD650. I know one can do better, but the iPod is fine and should work great with the HD 650 as long as there is equally good amplification.

I agree with the second part of you post though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2005 at 11:40 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
It seems that since the iPod is not known for having a good soundstage, good detail, or good bass

do you own an iPod? the measured output and my own use shows this to be completely untrue. the iPod is a very good source when used through the line out.

back to the actual question, I would get the 650's. your amp should be sufficient and it leaves you with a good upgrade path for the future, as the 650's should scale well with better sources and amps in the future. having said that, if you like the 595's and don't plan on spending more on additional equipment down the road, then you might as well stay with the 595's. they are fine phones. btw, if you don't have one already, get a line out source for your iPod. it makes a big difference with external amps.

Feb 13, 2005 at 12:51 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
That's just crap (no offence.
smily_headphones1.gif
). The iPod is a decent source for the HD650. I know one can do better, but the iPod is fine and should work great with the HD 650 as long as there is equally good amplification.

I agree with the second part of you post though.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't feel that the Meridian GO8 is even a good source for the HD650 because the compact disc format itself sucks.Analog is the only way to go if one is serious.It just depends how picky you are.Come to think of it, the LP sucks too.There is no such thing as a good source.

Feb 13, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay
I don't feel that the Meridian GO8 is even a good source for the HD650 because the compact disc format itself sucks.Analog is the only way to go if one is serious.It just depends how picky you are.Come to think of it, the LP sucks too.There is no such thing as a good source.

Just for an example: (tweaked) Cambridge CD300SE : a good source.
Otherwise I won't explain myself all the goodness I hear.
smily_headphones1.gif

So anything better than that will be an even great source?
redface.gif

BTW I partly agree with Aman; the Ipod (or its 'clones') may sound rather good with 'raw' PCM audio files, but if you use it for its natural purpose (compressed audio), I reckon it just won't be what you need to do justice to 'phones like HD595 and HD650 and the like, nor to 'serious' (valuable) music at that.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back