OPPO To Reveal PM-3 Planar Magnetic Headphones and HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier at RMAF
Mar 8, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #1,096 of 1,240
Just posted my PM-3 review over in the impressions thread. In short: They're excellent.

Quick note on balanced cabling, since it was asked a couple weeks ago in this thread: The cable is socketed, but the earcup end is just a 3.5mm stereo TRS plug, not a 4-conductor TRRS. I'm guessing that the internal socket is also 3-conductor and not 4, and if so, that would of course prevent a balanced cable from being offered (without replacing the entire internal jack, which would be ridiculous and probably wouldn't end well for you, your PM-3, or its warranty).

Edit: Well, that's completely wrong. See next post.

Mar 8, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #1,097 of 1,240
No. It is socketed for 4 conductor, so we could make a balanced solution if we wanted to. But due to the design of the headphones, it is not something that we are really looking into manufacturing.

Mar 8, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #1,098 of 1,240
  No. It is socketed for 4 conductor, so we could make a balanced solution if we wanted to. But due to the design of the headphones, it is not something that we are really looking into manufacturing.

So would someone be able to use a 4-conductor TRRS 3.5mm like this, assuming there was no interference with the connector body, to make their own cable for a balanced solution?

Hmm ... looks like there might be some interference (photo from c1umsyb3ar's post in the other thread). Nothing a little Dremelling wouldn't take care of ...
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 8, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #1,099 of 1,240
I see the PM-3 as being so efficient, it doesn't need the power increase available with amps that offer more power with balanced output than with single-ended output.  

The PM-1 is even less efficient than the PM-3 and I hear no improvement in bass control or dynamics when I run the PM-1 with 2000mW into 32-Ohms from the HA-1's 4-Pin XLR jack vs. 500 mW into 32-Ohms from the HA-1's TRS jack. There are others who agree.  500 mW is more than enough power to bring out the PM-1's best performance.

The PM-1 behaves much the same way with my portable iBasso PB2.  I can't say for sure how much power we're talking about there, because it varies with the op-amps I've selected, but when using LME49990s in the input voltage gain stage and dummy buffers (no current gain), the PM-1 again sounds just as good on the TRS jack as it does on the balanced output (that offers twice as much power).

I think that's why several people have (incorrectly) said the PM-1 doesn't scale well to more power. In truth, it does scale to more power, just like an HE-6 or LCD-2, but you have to start out with a very weak amp, like that of a Sansa Clip+ or Sony Walkman, where the PM-1 will sound woolly and uncontrolled in the bass, to appreciate how the PM-1 can scale to more power.  It's just so much more efficient than an LCD-2 or HE-6 that you will not hear it "scaling" when comparing 500mW to 2000mW, as with the HA-1 TRS vs.4-Pin XLR jacks.

Not able to test the even more efficient PM-3 with balanced cables on either the HA-1 or my portable iBasso PB2, I have to conclude from my PM-1 observations that going balanced with the PM-3 would offer little or no audible improvement, unless we're talking about using a balanced-capable amp with unusually weak output at its TRS jack and only modest output at its balanced jack. I don't know if any such amp actually exists. Even the surprisingly under-powered Sony PHA-3 DAC/amp might have enough power at its TRS jack, with 100 mW into 32-Ohms, for the PM-3 to audibly sound just as good it would on the PHA-3's balanced output, 320 mW into 32-Ohms. I don't know of any other balanced headphone amp that puts out only 320mW (or less).

Aside from the "potential" benefits of more power offered by balanced connections, there are some experts I admire and trust, like Dr. Jan Meier of Meier Audio, who can explain how the shared ground of a single-ended connection allows impedance fluctuations caused by one driver to influence the frequency response of the other driver - a "problem" not suffered with balanced headphone connections, but planar magnetic headphones are almost purely resistive, and thus not as vulnerable to these cross-channel impedance fluctuations with unbalanced connections.

Frankly, even with dynamic headphones, I have to say that I, personally, have never heard any benefits from running balanced vs. single-ended when using an amp that offers sufficient power at both jacks. Seriously, I don't even know what to listen for when attempting to hear these, no doubt real but apparently difficult to discern, cross-channel impedance fluctuations.  And I've never read a single Head-Fi post where someone was saying, "Oh man, the cross-channel impedance fluctuations were really bad on the TRS jack, but now that I've switched to balanced cables, I can't hear them any longer!"  

Lastly, one has to consider that there are many very expensive headphone amps out there that offer only a single-ended TRS jack, and yet, their typically very experienced owners are perfectly content to run their flagship headphones without balanced cables.

The lust for balanced cables has a life of its own.

Mike

Mar 8, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #1,100 of 1,240
Honestly, all due respect, I wish that we could leave the SE vs balanced debate alone. It's one of the easiest ways to completely derail and otherwise helpful and useful thread. People will always have their own opinion and personal bias over the matter. Just my 2c...

Mar 8, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #1,103 of 1,240

So would someone be able to use a 4-conductor TRRS 3.5mm like this, assuming there was no interference with the connector body, to make their own cable for a balanced solution?

It should, yes, but as you have noted you need the additional buffer on the adapter to accommodate our gasket design for holding the cable in place in the earcups.

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #1,104 of 1,240
Mar 9, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #1,105 of 1,240
Mar 9, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #1,106 of 1,240
Plus 1 and the review and very comprehensive also. Nicely done. 
biggrin.gif

I need to put the pm-3 against the Momentum 2 that I'll have in a few days. Let me know if anyone is interested in a temp trade.

Mar 9, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #1,107 of 1,240
Good comprehensive review, thanks for the time and trouble. Looking forward to getting my pair whenever they hit New Zealand shores.
I'll probably be a bit different from most owners in that my pair is destined for a bedroom system along side the W1000X and the PM-1 can finally go back to my music room and the HA-1.
As long as the general sound of the PM-3 follows big brother I'm going to be happy. I really wanted a red pair but too impatient to wait so settled on black but who knows, may pass them onto my son later and still get the red.

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #1,108 of 1,240
Excellent review Money!!! Do you have any experience with CIEMs, trying to decide which to use for travel?

sorry no experience with custom-fit IEMS. I have sensitive ears, so don't think they would suit me very well.

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #1,109 of 1,240
  posted my first gear review here on the PM3s here if anyone is interested! :)
http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-pm-3/reviews/12713

Great review indeed! For me, the comparisons are great since I've heard most headphones you mention. :)

Plus 1 and the review and very comprehensive also. Nicely done. 
biggrin.gif

I need to put the pm-3 against the Momentum 2 that I'll have in a few days. Let me know if anyone is interested in a temp trade.

That would be great, Matt! These new closed cans being released (PM-3, EL-8, Momentum 2, etc) are very promising!

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #1,110 of 1,240
Here's a question for Oppo, if someone can address it:

I have noticed that on the Oppo US site, it is stated that the PM3 headphones come with a 3m OFC cable and also a 1.2m smartphone cable. However, your Australian site only states that it comes with a 3m cable and some dealers have already listed the 1.2m cables at $35 AUD each. Are you expecting Australians to pay for the mobile cable as extra? I hope this is an over site, as it would really not be very fair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back