OPPO To Reveal PM-3 Planar Magnetic Headphones and HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier at RMAF
Jan 31, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #691 of 1,240
I just demoed the PM3. Really nice. Very smooth, big scale sound. Very impressed. This was out of Hugo/Dx90

Did you try the HA-2 with the line out of the dx90? I was happy for Oppo on this new product, sad for myself as it noticeably improved sound over HO on my dx90. It was the first time I tested a separate component in my audio link.

The pm-3s sound and look very promising too, so much so that I have them on my shortlist of portable headphone purchase.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #693 of 1,240
I also demo pm3. Allegedly there may be a delay as they want to change the colours but I liked the current look. Vibrant and metallic. If anything too nice for outdoor use. If audeze want to respond to oppo then they need to match the fit and finish.

Unfortunately could not get the amp to work with iPad mini retina. The pm3 sounded really good though. With that said I am concerned if they bring out a wireless model it would be too expensive or they would have to reduce sq to bring in within a certain price point

Still more interested in momentum wireless as my next buy

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #694 of 1,240
This is good news for the oppo! I too wasn't crazy about the EL-8 for the asking price. Sounds like the oppo will be a no brained between the two.

I really have wondered why Audeze are charging the el8 at price they state when there is such a huge price difference between it and the pm3, not that I'm knocking the el8 and think it's styling is really nice, just the price seems high.

I'm really excited to hear both pm3 and el8 though even price aside, the pm3 seems to be maybe more suitable for me anyway as a portable closed back headphone as its smaller form and weight may also turn out for me to be deal winners so to speak :)

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #695 of 1,240
I really have wondered why Audeze are charging the el8 at price they state when there is such a huge price difference between it and the pm3, not that I'm knocking the el8 and think it's styling is really nice, just the price seems high.

I'm really excited to hear both pm3 and el8 though even price aside, the pm3 seems to be maybe more suitable for me anyway as a portable closed back headphone as its smaller form and weight may also turn out for me to be deal winners so to speak :)

Audeze has a stronger brand name so they can afford to charge more for it. Also, with the pricing of their current headphones, many people view the $700 release as inexpensive. I agree $700 is quite high if you compare against competitor products. Just a matter of perspective I think.

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #696 of 1,240
Audeze has a stronger brand name so they can afford to charge more for it. Also, with the pricing of their current headphones, many people view the $700 release as inexpensive. I agree $700 is quite high if you compare against competitor products. Just a matter of perspective I think.

I guess Audeze is like an equivalent to designer clothes which I can totally relate to I guess as you do pay a premium for the brand for sure.

For me personally, I'm much more interested in getting a better return of value for my money when it comes to headphones and having the Audeze branding just isn't the same crossover to say a Prada blouse and maybe something like the Oppo pm3 may be for me but I'm not ruling out the el8 at this stage anyway :)

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #697 of 1,240

I think it has to do with the implementation of the single sided magnets and the metal traces on the membrane as well as the membrane itself in the el-8. It looks like the el-8 needs some manual fine tuning and the PM-3 is more of an assembly line construction. Different implementations of the planar tech.

Also, I beleive materials used would make a difference in manufacturing as the PM-3 is more plastic and synthetic leather and the el-8 is metal and real leather.

I could be wrong though and I'm sure brand has a part to play. Oppo is also known for great quality at a great value

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #699 of 1,240
  any word on the battery life of the ha-2 btw? thxs

Yes me too want to know that using LINE IN.. don't plan on using the battery guzzling WMC-NWH10 digital out cable for my walkman

I have a question about amps in general... do they can fix a bassy IEM? I have the XBA-H3 and the have a massive bump in the mid-bass, between 100 to 300Hz I tried by removing the sponge filters and they only improved by a minimal margin, then tried EQ'ing my walkman A17 and they still sound weird, i can't get the sound signature of my Cans MDR-1R which are beutral and superb sounding, bass on the 1T is perfect for my music tastes (classical) natural bass as when you sit on a theatre and listen to a real-life concert

I will still buy the HA-2 even if osme one says Nope amps can't fix a bassy IEM, because want power for my walkman

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #700 of 1,240
  Yes me too want to know that using LINE IN.. don't plan on using the battery guzzling WMC-NWH10 digital out cable for my walkman

I have a question about amps in general... do they can fix a bassy IEM? I have the XBA-H3 and the have a massive bump in the mid-bass, between 100 to 300Hz I tried by removing the sponge filters and they only improved by a minimal margin, then tried EQ'ing my walkman A17 and they still sound weird, i can't get the sound signature of my Cans MDR-1R which are beutral and superb sounding, bass on the 1T is perfect for my music tastes (classical) natural bass as when you sit on a theatre and listen to a real-life concert

I will still buy the HA-2 even if osme one says Nope amps can't fix a bassy IEM, because want power for my walkman

in general, amplifiers do not make a dramatic change in the headphones/IEM sound signature (frequency response). if you dislike the sound signature, you will probably have better luck getting a new pair of IEMs rather than trying different amplifiers.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #701 of 1,240
in general, amplifiers do not make a dramatic change in the headphones/IEM sound signature (frequency response). if you dislike the sound signature, you will probably have better luck getting a new pair of IEMs rather than trying different amplifiers.

Thanks mate for the clarification of my question, I will still buy the HA-2 to power better my walkman with my MDR-1R as i consider those my reference point (very neutral, slight very slight bump in the mids/high, but mostly gone with burn-in)

yes better sell those XBA-H3 and try out the XBA-A3 the refined version of the H3, XBA-Z5 IMHO too expensive

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #702 of 1,240
any word on the battery life of the ha-2 btw? thxs

With early beta units, I got around 14.5 hours of battery when using it as just an amp with my iPhone, around 7.5 hours of battery when using it as a DAC/amp with the iPhone. I haven't tried it with the recent batch of units though.

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #704 of 1,240
I'm curious if the PM3 will be offered immediately to local retailers, or if it will only be available from Oppo Direct for a few weeks/months like the HA-1?

I think it's their business model to wait before sending new product to retailers. This makes it easier to flush out warranty issues and solidify the process before it goes to the 'outside world'. Pretty smart if you ask me on quality control standpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back