OPPO To Reveal PM-3 Planar Magnetic Headphones and HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier at RMAF
Jan 8, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #526 of 1,240
They are removable, but they use a different attachment system compared to the PM-1/2, so you would have to buy different pads. I'm not sure if there will be a velour option.

The material looks like it is pleather. Most pleathers irritate my skin. That said, protein leathers are tolerable, and offer even sound better than real leathers...

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #527 of 1,240
Any comments or experience with the earpads in regards to isolation?  If I get these they are for wearing in public and don't want others to hear my music (and I like it loud) :)

I can't say in absolute terms, but the isolation is pretty good for a closed-back headphone. Maybe about average or slightly above average. It's not on the same level as the Fostex T50RP + other pads though.

Btw, if you have an HA-2 beta version, can you tell us how does it sound? Is it as good as PHA-3?

Things are still being tweaked here and there, so I can't comment too much on how the final product will sound. I also personally haven't heard the PHA-3 unfortunately.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #528 of 1,240
I can't say in absolute terms, but the isolation is pretty good for a closed-back headphone. Maybe about average or slightly above average. It's not on the same level as the Fostex T50RP + other pads though.
Things are still being tweaked here and there, so I can't comment too much on how the final product will sound. I also personally haven't heard the PHA-3 unfortunately.

Can you tell is if it worth the at least?
Is it better than the average models out there?

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #529 of 1,240
Can you tell is if it worth the at least?
Is it better than the average models out there?

For the sound quality, build, features, and overall package, I think the HA-2 is definitely worth the suggested price of $299 and it likely gives other similar DAC/amps a good run for their money!

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #530 of 1,240
Man, the black pm-3 looks great, as does the build quality in general. I'll be buying one as soon as they're available for sure. Just got to decide if its worth buying a ha-2 to go with it if I already have an apex glacier... I guess they'd have a slightly different sound so I might try it out at the very least.

Thanks for the pics, miceblue!

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #531 of 1,240
Oppo Shows PM3 Planar Magnetic Headphones for on the Go​ - CES 2015 - Sound and Vision

Sometime this spring, Oppo plans to release its first ever closed-backed planar magnetic headphones. Meant for audiophiles on the go, the headphones are much more the size of traditional closed-backed over-ear headphones. The reduction in size was accomplished by using a smaller driver than Oppo used in the open-backed PM1 or PM2 and the driver’s shape is round rather than cylindrical. The tuning is mostly flat with a slight bump in the bass and treble to create what Oppo called a more “exciting” sound. That said, the boost is very small, and from what I could hear, the sonic execution was exquisite. Oppo really managed to capture everything that makes its open-backed headphones wonderful in a smaller, more accessible package. 

Also noteworthy is the choice to make the PM3 not dependent on a headphone amp to power them; the audio port in your favorite device is more than enough to get adequate volume. However should you choose to use an amp, Oppo also will be releasing the HA-2 headphone amp at around the same time as the PM3. The HA-2 will have an ⅛” analog input jack as well as a USB port that enables iPhone users to use the lightning cable in their device to send a digital signal to the internal DAC. Also, this same USB port can be repurposed in a pinch to charge your phone. 

Overall, if the production models are as good as the prototypes I heard, Oppo will have some really fantastic products on its hands. Plus, the price points are low enough that the PM3 and HA-2 can serve as entry-level planar magnetic headphones and headphone amp for the new or frugal enthusiast.

PM3: $399
HA-2: $299
www.oppodigital.com

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #533 of 1,240
Any comments on its sound signature?
Does it sound like 3D? Which is the most comparable amp to HA2?

The general sound signature with these beta units are very comparable to the Light Harmonic Geek Out units I have, which if you haven't heard before, is pretty typical of a Sabre DAC kind of sound with good detail retrieval, fairly spacious-sounding, a slight brightness in the upper-midrange, and some grain in the treble. Both have the same DAC chip (ES9018 2M), so that makes sense. The Geek Out has a Class A amplifier, where as the HA-2 is a Class AB. I find the HA-2 to sound slightly warmer and fuller-sounding with these beta units. That being said, these are still beta units and the sound might change a bit from the final product.

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #535 of 1,240
So the HA-2 will be a dac/amp combo?

It sure is!
For users who need more power and better performance than a typical smartphone or portable music player can offer, the HA-2 portable headphone amplifier will be an excellent choice. Featuring a hybrid class AB amplifier and a USB DAC supporting 384 kHz PCM and DSD256, the HA-2 offers high performance digital-to-analog conversion for both Apple’s iPhone/iPod and many Android devices. A 3.5 mm input works with the remaining portable music players that do not have a USB-compatible digital output. Convenience features such as 30-minute rapid charging and a mobile device power bank make the HA-2 a true companion for music on the go.

It does have a 3.5 mm line-out jack, so you can bypass the amp section if you so desire.

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #537 of 1,240
The general sound signature with these beta units are very comparable to the Light Harmonic Geek Out units I have, which if you haven't heard before, is pretty typical of a Sabre DAC kind of sound with good detail retrieval, fairly spacious-sounding, a slight brightness in the upper-midrange, and some grain in the treble. Both have the same DAC chip (ES9018 2M), so that makes sense. The Geek Out has a Class A amplifier, where as the HA-2 is a Class AB. I find the HA-2 to sound slightly warmer and fuller-sounding with these beta units. That being said, these are still beta units and the sound might change a bit from the final product.

Thanks!! I have a Geek Out 1000 and I love its sound!
It's much better than iBasso DX100, HM901, Sony PHA2, etc. If Oppo HA-2 is as good as Geek Out, I'd love to buy it!

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #538 of 1,240

Whoa whoa whoa!  I thought the PM3 wasn't going to be at CES?  That looks like it's in one of the suites at the Venetian, where I spent half the day yesterday.  Bummer, I really wanted to try these out.

On the plus side, the EL-8 closed versions sound terrible (source:  I listened to them quite a bit yesterday) and will be no competition even if they drop the price to $400.  Hopefully Oppo can take advantage of this misstep by Audeze.

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #539 of 1,240
Whoa whoa whoa!  I thought the PM3 wasn't going to be at CES?  That looks like it's in one of the suites at the Venetian, where I spent half the day yesterday.  Bummer, I really wanted to try these out.

On the plus side, the EL-8 closed versions sound terrible (source:  I listened to them quite a bit yesterday) and will be no competition even if they drop the price to $400.  Hopefully Oppo can take advantage of this misstep by Audeze.

I heard that EL8 open version has close sound to LCD-X series.
Have you listened to the open version at all?

I didn't expect much for the closed version. I'm not a big fan of closed headphones.

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #540 of 1,240
I heard that EL8 open version has close sound to LCD-X series.
Have you listened to the open version at all?

I didn't expect much for the closed version. I'm not a big fan of closed headphones.

Yes, I posted more thorough impressions over on the EL-8 thread. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/749214/audeze-el-8-the-el-8-is-a-must-hear-at-ces-2015/1080#post_11206321

Users who are viewing this thread

Back