OPPO To Reveal PM-3 Planar Magnetic Headphones and HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier at RMAF
Oct 11, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #31 of 1,240
i want a ruggedized, comfy, balanced sounding, closed planar with excellent isolation n folds flat.
...errrmmm less than usd300.

Oct 11, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #32 of 1,240
I strongly advise Oppo not to do a single sided/mandatory single ended cable for the PM-3.  Is there a 4 pole jack in the earcup there?  It is surely best to keep with the same plug format as PM-1 and PM-2, we don't need a new jack type every month.  

Not sure what your primary objection is, other than it's different from the PM-1/2.
I suppose there is some argument against being able to use the PM-3 with their existing line of cables, and I might agree with that.
I'm sure you could probably also use an adapter to make the current cable work, but that's kind of cumbersome.
The PM-3 are made to be portable cans and used with primarily with a short single ended cable,
but at the same time the PM-1/2 are also said to be a portable design.
So far, it seems like being able to use pre-existing Oppo cables would win out over the awkwardness of a dual ended cable on the go.
I wonder how written in stone the single cable solution is...

Oct 11, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #33 of 1,240
Pics Pics Pics!!!!!

• USB DAC/amp for your computer
  • DAC/amp for your iDevices (NO Apple Camera Connection Kit required)
  • DAC/amp for your Android devices
  • Battery charger for your iDevice/Android device
  • ESS 90182M DAC chip (supports 16/44.1 all the way to 24/384, and DSD up to DSD 256/quad-rate DSD)
  • Class AB amplifier circuit
  • Provides more than enough juice for my 669-ohm, 86 dB/mW AKG K 240 Monitor headphone

^ That's a 24/96 file being played on my iPhone with the Accudio app.

^ on the left is a Nintendo 3DS just for a size comparison

*Note that this device is still a work in progress and the appearance might change for the final release*

Oct 11, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #35 of 1,240
smart looking indeed...and that leather jacket is a nice touch.

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #36 of 1,240
@HasturTheYellow I hope you can develop an easy way to attach smartphones on the HA-2. My main gripe with my portable DAC/Amp is the hassle of using rubber bands to attach them together - main reason my Theorem 720 stays at home and I am using an el cheap but wonderful DAP (Hidizs AP100.) I've seen other ways like using velcro or 3M thingy but still not happy with it. Perhaps if you can supply a case for the HA-2 with built-in velcro or 3M. It is easy enough to find a smartphone case and attach the other velcro or 3M.

Just a thought...

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #37 of 1,240
wow~~Seems very beautiful. How is the sound?

I can't really comment on how the final unit will sound since some things might get tweaked in terms of sound quality from the unit I have. I can say that despite its small size, it can sure pack a bunch of power in it.

I was also surprised that the DAC can support DSD 256. The Geek Out I have uses the same DAC chip (ESS 90182M), but it only supports DSD 128. The Audirvana Plus media player in OS X can't even play back DSD 256 natively, so I had to switch to Windows to try a few test tracks in Foobar via ASIO.

I think for a portable/mobile setup, the HA-2 is a really great all-in-one device from my experience so far. It can play back pretty much any music file in your music library, charge your iOS/Android smartphones' battery, able to drive high impedance, low efficiency headphones, and it's all in a really thin and pocketable package.

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #38 of 1,240

That sounds promising...

Oct 11, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #39 of 1,240
  Will any update be coming to current HA-1 owners to enable Android USB audio support through the front mobile USB port? Or are you waiting for L / Android to unify their USB audio solution? 

You will need to use a OTG cable and special playback software, unfortunately. The Android platform was not designed to work as a slave/host natively.

Oct 11, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #40 of 1,240
I wonder if the new HA-2 can drive the new PM-3? That would be one awesome portable rig if you just connect the HA-2 to a smartphone. : o

Yes. But just like the PM-1 and PM-2, the PM-3 really does not require external amplification for good sounding audio. It will scale (just like its larger brothers), which is one of the reasons why we make the HA-2.

Oct 11, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #41 of 1,240
  @HasturTheYellow I hope you can develop an easy way to attach smartphones on the HA-2. My main gripe with my portable DAC/Amp is the hassle of using rubber bands to attach them together - main reason my Theorem 720 stays at home and I am using an el cheap but wonderful DAP (Hidizs AP100.) I've seen other ways like using velcro or 3M thingy but still not happy with it. Perhaps if you can supply a case for the HA-2 with built-in velcro or 3M. It is easy enough to find a smartphone case and attach the other velcro or 3M.

Just a thought...

At this time we are using rubber bands. It is the easiest solution to be compatible with as many devices as possible. Making a slim case with an adjustable clamp, velcro, magnets, and other solutions are being discussed, but nothing has been finalized as every solution has its positives and negatives.

Oct 11, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #42 of 1,240
Added three images of the HA-2 and PM-3 to the first post and have also linked to miceblue's post that contains some HA-3 shots in the wild.

EDIT: Added some more images to the first post.

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #43 of 1,240
Hopefully the pics are of the PM-3 prototype and the final model won't have a glossy finish.  Why you would put a glossy (read: easily scratched, finger print magnet) finish on a portable headphone is beyond me...

High hopes for this one, though!

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #44 of 1,240
You will need to use a OTG cable and special playback software, unfortunately. The Android platform was not designed to work as a slave/host natively.

Hastur
There are plenty of Android phones which do not support USB slave/host so whatever special app you use, it will not work. However, there are smartphones which do and they can work with external DAC natively if the DAC supports it. FiiO E18 works natively with LG G2, HTC One X, etc. for example.

Oct 11, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #45 of 1,240
The portable amp looks good! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back