Oppo Sonica DAC (an affordable ES9038PRO Sabre DAC)
Jun 3, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #396 of 520
I have the Sonica dac for a few days now and cant say i am really happy.

It sounds a bitch harchs on the high end and lacks volume on the bass department. All bass is there, just not enough of it.

Thing is, i dunno if its the dac or my headphone amp.

Had an Audiolab M-dac before and sounded much fuller/nicer.
Also had a Lehmann Linear before wich i liked.
Sold the lehmann linear long ago and since i needed a headphone amplifier for this dac i bought a lehmann rhinelander, hoping it would be great like the linear.

Is it the rhinelander that makes things sound harsher then need be and is lacking bass ?

Might be able to try with an Ifi Micro Ican in a few days.

Jun 3, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #397 of 520
IMG_0072.JPG
Just spun her up.

To the touch feels as good as the HA-1. Will post impressions after I get a few hours in.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #399 of 520
I have the Sonica dac for a few days now and cant say i am really happy.

It sounds a bitch harchs on the high end and lacks volume on the bass department. All bass is there, just not enough of it.

Thing is, i dunno if its the dac or my headphone amp.

Had an Audiolab M-dac before and sounded much fuller/nicer.
Also had a Lehmann Linear before wich i liked.
Sold the lehmann linear long ago and since i needed a headphone amplifier for this dac i bought a lehmann rhinelander, hoping it would be great like the linear.

Is it the rhinelander that makes things sound harsher then need be and is lacking bass ?

Might be able to try with an Ifi Micro Ican in a few days.

I'm trying to interpret your component timeline. It sounds as if you went...

... from this: Audiolab M-dac > Lehmann Linear > unspecified headphone

... directly to this: Sonica DAC > Lehmann Rhinelander > unspecified headphone

If so, changing out two components at the same time makes it pretty impossible to attribute audible changes to any one component.

If you still have it, I recommend you give this chain a good long listen, paying attention to the bass and treble issues you've noted:

Audiolab M-dac > Lehmann Rhinelander > unspecified headphone

After several hours, even across several days, you will be better prepared to evaluate the Sonica DAC when going to this chain:

Sonica DAC > Lehmann Rhinelander > unspecified headphone

Which headphone are you using?

Mike

Jun 4, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #400 of 520
I like the sound of the Node 2 through it rather than Tidal directly streaming from the Sonica. Maybe down to MQA vs. Sonica CD quality.

Does it sound better than the HA-1, yeah but not a huge leap imo.

So if I need the Node 2 in the chain I may not keep it and just get a dedicated dac like a Holo or LKS

Jun 4, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #401 of 520
I like the sound of the Node 2 through it rather than Tidal directly streaming from the Sonica. Maybe down to MQA vs. Sonica CD quality.

Does it sound better than the HA-1, yeah but not a huge leap imo.

So if I need the Node 2 in the chain I may not keep it and just get a dedicated dac like a Holo or LKS

Have anyone compare to or own a LKS MH-004 DAC? It costs lot more. 004 use twin ESS 9038pro for stereo and run at higher current (much warmer in temperature).
I was seriously consider to buy the MH-004 till SONIC DAC comes out.

Jun 4, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #402 of 520
I'm trying to interpret your component timeline. It sounds as if you went...

... from this: Audiolab M-dac > Lehmann Linear > unspecified headphone

... directly to this: Sonica DAC > Lehmann Rhinelander > unspecified headphone

If so, changing out two components at the same time makes it pretty impossible to attribute audible changes to any one component.

If you still have it, I recommend you give this chain a good long listen, paying attention to the bass and treble issues you've noted:

Audiolab M-dac > Lehmann Rhinelander > unspecified headphone

After several hours, even across several days, you will be better prepared to evaluate the Sonica DAC when going to this chain:

Sonica DAC > Lehmann Rhinelander > unspecified headphone

Which headphone are you using?

Mike

I have went through a few audio components, and inbetween i had a Lehmann Linear wich i rather liked.
I have sold it before to get more headphones and a different DAC.

Before i got this Sonica i had an Audiolabs M-dac and drove a AQ Nighthawk, HD650 and some cheap Philips cans through the M-dacs own headphone socket (was a tiny bit weak for the HD650)

Thought it would be wise to upgrade to seperate dac and headphone amp again (i know, i should have never sold the Linear)
I went with the sonica dac for all its features and according to specs it seemed a step up from the M-dac to.

So went from just an M-dac to a Sonica dac + Rhinelander.
No way to test M-dac + Rhinelander because i sold the M-dac in order to pay for this.

I got the feeling its the amp thats lacking bass and next to that i think maybe the Sonica and the Rhinelander both are a bit "critical" on the highs ?
Maybe just a bad pairing ?

Jun 5, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #403 of 520
You need to give the Sonica much more than a few days before you make a decision. You have thirty days so leave it on and let it burn in for a while. Mine changed quite a bit over time. Also make sure you have all the latest firmware and software updates as they made a difference too.

Jun 7, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #404 of 520
You need to give the Sonica much more than a few days before you make a decision. You have thirty days so leave it on and let it burn in for a while. Mine changed quite a bit over time. Also make sure you have all the latest firmware and software updates as they made a difference too.

Yeah i always give new hardware some time to get used to.

Updating the Dac and USB firmware was the first thing i done.
DAC = 33-0511
USB = USB-0110

Wierd thing i noticed yesterday is that when i use the balanced outs with just a converter plug (XLR to RCA) its sound a bit better, calmer on the highs.
Kinda wierd because XLR to RCA should basicly be the same as RCA > RCA. (both not balanced)

Bass is still not to my liking though but i must say i do hear more "details" in the music then with my previous M-Dac.
Dont get me wrong, the bass is there and it goes deep to... just seems there is less "impact" then before with M-dac.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #405 of 520
IMG_0076.JPG
Well after a few days of non stop listening I decided the Sonica wasn't that leap forward over the Ha-1 as I'd hope. So now I am auditioning the Dac3 vs Brooklyn

Wish I had better news to share from my perspective

Users who are viewing this thread

Back