Oppo Sonica DAC (an affordable ES9038PRO Sabre DAC)
Jan 25, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #76 of 520
  Anyone have an idea as to why the unit is delayed by almost 6 months so far?  I can guess component delivery, unexpected design issues, licensing issues, but I'm wondering if anyone has any data.

I thought it was Fall 2016 (December 20th 2016)?

Probably all resources devoted to fixing the 203.   Not a good launch for Oppo.

Jan 25, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #77 of 520
Ah.  I had not heard about problems with the 203.  Where did you find that information?  What kind of problems are they having?  Hardware?  Firmware?  I'd much rather they fix the 203 and apply any learnings to the Sonica DAC.

Jan 25, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #78 of 520
  Ah.  I had not heard about problems with the 203.  Where did you find that information?  What kind of problems are they having?  Hardware?  Firmware?  I'd much rather they fix the 203 and apply any learnings to the Sonica DAC.

From here.

Everyone is hopeful that it's all software.   Some things still not fixed or working the way you'd expect them to work.

Disappointment that the Panasonic 4k player has higher IQ too.

Everyone expected perfection from Oppo and they released an average player.   Die hard fans are in denial.

It's not a bad player, but it doesn't command the premium price that Oppo demands.

Hopefully they take their time with the Sonica DAC.

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #80 of 520
From Oppo last week to me when I inquired on availability and MQA capabilities:

We are looking to release the Sonica DAC hopefully within a month. We are testing a release candidate firmware now, so as long as there are no show stoppers, we will be able to release the Sonica DAC.

MQA is not support out of box, but it may be something that we can add in a future firmware.

Best Regards, 

Customer Service 
OPPO Digital, Inc. 
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Service@oppodigital.com 
Tel: 650-961-1118 
Fax: 650-961-1119

Definitely bummed about MQA...hard for me to spend $$ without it now (even if it's not my primary source of music)

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #81 of 520

Thanks for the update, Mojo. At least that puts a better time-line for release, other than "Coming in early 2017".

MQA support is not quite a deal breaker for me but it certainly is an incentive to buy if they add it. Lets hope the magical firmware update thing is more of a reality than just a possibility.

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #82 of 520
Has anyone heard a SONICA speaker yet?

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #83 of 520
Looks like they have started selling the Sonica DAC from the main OPPO US website. I got my invitation to pre-order it just now.

Its a shame that I am in the UK and couldn't put the order in. I bought the Denon AH-D7200 Over-Ear Headphones instead :)

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #85 of 520
I got the same email and then one from this forum soon after. Given no headphone output and I don't have an amp that connects simply, I'll be waiting...

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Edge using Tapatalk

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #86 of 520
Ok. Message received. My Sonica Dac has shipped. Ups actually picked it up from Oppo within 3 hours of me placing the order!
Scheduled for Wednesday delivery. I will report shortly thereafter on my thoughts. Current Dac (Ess9018)is built into the Burson CV2+ amp/Dac.
I like its sound a lot! Very resolute sounding as implemented by Burson.

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #87 of 520
Ok. Message received. My Sonica Dac has shipped. Ups actually picked it up from Oppo within 3 hours of me placing the order!
Scheduled for Wednesday delivery. I will report shortly thereafter on my thoughts. Current Dac (Ess9018)is built into the Burson CV2+ amp/Dac.
I like its sound a lot! Very resolute sounding as implemented by Burson.

Can't wait for some feedback on it, thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back