Oppo Sonica DAC (an affordable ES9038PRO Sabre DAC)
Feb 20, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #151 of 520
it ok now ! OPPO  customer services send me a new usb firmware V 1.09  for me ! And it can smooth switch every pcm and dsd no any loud pop sound.

Great it was resolved so quickly. I thought it would have been something software or firmware related. The Sonica app should also detect when new firmware is available and prompt to upgrade.

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #152 of 520
Just share another news for me. I use lg v20 usb connect to oppo sonica dac , run smooth now no more pop click really nice,

But I use roon lab software with my qnap 253A usb to oppo sonica dac, strange situation , it play  dsd smooth no pop and click but pcm 44.1 48 96 192 , it will have a small pop sound around 1 minutes later. I already set all buffer size in roon lab software but no use. ROON LAB strange play dsd normal is use more cou and ram play buy it run super smooth, but pcm rate will have small pop sound 1 minutes later ! ..>.<.. Hope roon lab have faster update !!!!

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #153 of 520
Great it was resolved so quickly. I thought it would have been something software or firmware related. The Sonica app should also detect when new firmware is available and prompt to upgrade.

So, was that new Firmware update a later one than the one released on 31-Jan-2017?  If so then it has not yet been published on the Oppo Support (Firmware update) web page.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #154 of 520
If somebody is unhappy with their Sonica, let me know, and I can purchase it for a discounted price.

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #156 of 520
  Too soon for that. People can return units to Opp prior to 30 days for a full refund.

I thought I'd try. I called Oppo and they had zero b-stock Sonica DAC in stock. They told me they expect to have them available (the b-stock, that is) sometime in summer.

I guess nobody is returning stuff.

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #157 of 520
I have a soundcard with the ESS 9016 DAC chip & yes it was uninvolving as all other soundcards I have had in the past stock even those with the burr brown pcm1792a or pcm1794.

The ESS 9016 is every bit thier equal & more once modified. Main modifications being direct coupling & large metalized film bypass capacitors in the power supply for DAC, opamps & headpfone amp sections. With these mods the sound is smooth dynamic & very highly detailed with huge soundstage. Speakers disappear as sound sources on most recordings

This is all without using any tricks such as surround processing or frequency response taloring such as gundry perspective EQing. Amps & speakers set to flat.

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #158 of 520
Hi, if I select USB DAC using the selection dial and then listen to tidal using sonica DAC app at a later time, do I need to manually select back USB DAC after I finished using the Tidal, or the system will revert back to USB DAC automatically? Thank You!

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #159 of 520
Hi, if I select USB DAC using the selection dial and then listen to tidal using sonica DAC app at a later time, do I need to manually select back USB DAC after I finished using the Tidal, or the system will revert back to USB DAC automatically? Thank You!

You have to again select the USB input, at the DAC itself.

Any source selected by the Sonica App will override the current DAC-selected input - and - any source selected at the DAC will override a source that was selected at the Sonica App.

I just tested it, to make sure. After playing Tidal via the Sonica App (or any other App-selected source), you can rotate the small knob on the left side of the Sonica DAC, one click, then push the knob in to select the USB (Type B jack) input (not to be confused with the two USB A jacks, front and rear, that can be selected from the Sonica App to play files located on USB-attached storage devices). That same action can be used to select USB, Optical, Coaxial, or Aux-In.

Screenshot from https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/oppo-sonica/id1016797038

Pressing that knob without first rotating it, allows selection of other functions, including Bluetooth setup and more.

Read the manuals for which links can be found at this page: http://www.oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/sonica-dac-Support.aspx

Page 7 of the User Manual discusses source selection.

Feb 25, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #162 of 520
  good news ! oppo sonica dac xmos usb firmware v1.10 ! no more dropout! yeah !

That is good news.  
smile.gif

Is it too early for you to compare the sound of the Sonica DAC to other DACs you've owned?  

And do tell us which amp and headphones you are using.

Thanks,

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back