OPPO Relases updated HA-2SE Headphone Amplifier With New ESS Sabre32 Reference ES9028-Q2M DAC
Sep 30, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #16 of 37
  Use a USB-C male to micro-USB-B female adapter, then use the provided OTG cable.

We're Apple now. Except it works perfectly on Apple devices. How's the support for Android devices like the Note7?

Also why was micro-B chosen over USB-C? I know currently that there are more devices on micro-B, but USB-C is the future and more devices will have it. Even a cable from you for micro-B to USB-C would be adequate, but we need our own bulky adapter that could break. Unless I'm missing something and an adapter isn't a big deal, why not just include a cord for friendly use with pretty much anything?

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #17 of 37
It will not pass any of the control or microphone information. It is audio only from the iPhone to the HA-2.

Would've been perfect for my needs if I can answer and make calls through it too. I'd imagine that since most people buying this would be using it with a smart phone would also want to be able to make and answer calls through their headphone's inline microphone.

Any slim chance it would be as simple as a future software update? Or likely a hardware update on the 3rd iteration of this?

Oct 1, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #18 of 37
  Use a USB-C male to micro-USB-B female adapter, then use the provided OTG cable.

I am going to give this a try with my Note 7. I have bought and tried so many cables and adapters and haven't got anything to work yet. The one way I can is to use a standard USB - Micro USB charging cable with a USB - USB C adapter (came with the Note 7). This finally registers as a connection however has issues. 1. It charges the HA-2 from the phone. 2. I get constant crackle and have tried every setting imaginable in UAPP. So at this stage I'm left using the 3.5mm jack and just using it as an amp.

I'll try the the above adapter and see how that goes but I wish Oppo would release a working micro USB - USB C cable!

*edit
Actually wait, I have tried this. The Note 7 came with a male usb - female micro usb adapter! I just tried this again but it doesn't connect or register at all. Not sure if another 'brand' would make a difference?

Oct 1, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #19 of 37

I am going to give this a try with my Note 7. I have bought and tried so many cables and adapters and haven't got anything to work yet. The one way I can is to use a standard USB - Micro USB charging cable with a USB - USB C adapter (came with the Note 7). This finally registers as a connection however has issues. 1. It charges the HA-2 from the phone. 2. I get constant crackle and have tried every setting imaginable in UAPP. So at this stage I'm left using the 3.5mm jack and just using it as an amp.

I'll try the the above adapter and see how that goes but I wish Oppo would release a working micro USB - USB C cable!

*edit
Actually wait, I have tried this. The Note 7 came with a male usb - female micro usb adapter! I just tried this again but it doesn't connect or register at all. Not sure if another 'brand' would make a difference?

Please report back if you find a solution. I don't want to waste $300 for something I can't use correctly on my Note7.

Oct 1, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #20 of 37
The cables that come with the HA-2 and HA-2SE are only like 6 inches long. For me that wasn't long enough, so I got this 3-foot OTG extension cable, and now it's more than sufficient for me. They also have a 1 foot and a 6 inch one too. Of course you can connect any adapter to it you want. I'm sure eventually they will make the USB-C versions of these as that format is taking over the Android world now. 

Oct 1, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #22 of 37
  Yeah hopefully they'll just end up making the cable eventually. But I do have 2 micro-B to USB-C adapters from my exploding Note7 and the new Note7. I'm still waiting on reviews of the HA-2SE.

Yeah........I'm sure they will. MicroUSB is still pretty standard and widely used, so it won't come right away but I'd guess within a year or so they will. I think the fact that Samsung's new Note 7 phone is the first to use MicroUSB-C will accelerate the timetable a lot since they're the #1 Android seller (though I myself am not a big fan lol). And when the even more popular S-Series Samsung phone comes out next spring (the Galaxy S8), if that has USB-C (and it very likely will), then the demand will grow rapidly for those cables I'm sure. 

I'm sure they will come out over the next month or two. From what I've read in this thread and on other sites' description of the HA-2SE, if you already have the HA-2, it's not worth upgrading really unless you have earphones, because the changes they made only really affect those. But maybe if the reviews say they can hear a difference b/t the ESS9018 (HA-2) and the ESS9028 (HA-2SE), I MIGHT be interested in it, but who knows? I'd be a lot more interested if they made the amp a little stronger. It's already very strong now, but I just switched from the AKG K550 MK II to the slightly better Bang & Olufsen 2nd Generation H6, and the H6 doesn't get AS loud as the K550 MK II 'phones did. So on quieter songs it's still really great but I'd prefer to have the option of going up a notch or two in volume if I wanted to. If they do that on the HA-3, then I'll most likely buy it, but the HA-2 really is a great device though. I have no regrets in buying it. It has EVERYTHING covered........sound quality, optional bass boost, very portable and easy to carry around, easy to use, battery pack option, compatible with like everything, etc. 

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #23 of 37

We're Apple now. Except it works perfectly on Apple devices. How's the support for Android devices like the Note7?

Should work fine, but I have seen some customers report jitter when using newer Samsung phones that have upgraded to Marshmallow. For these customers we recommend using USB Audio Player Pro, as the issue seems to stem from the USB driver that Samsung uses with the latest Android OS.

Also why was micro-B chosen over USB-C? I know currently that there are more devices on micro-B, but USB-C is the future and more devices will have it.

Adaptation of USB-C is still very low, so to make the HA-2SE as compatible as possible with current device, while being completely compatible with future devices, we stuck with micro-USB-B.

Unless I'm missing something and an adapter isn't a big deal, why not just include a cord for friendly use with pretty much anything?

It is additional cost to manufacture and pack the cable, and limits the number of devices that are compatible with it. Meaning, a lot of customer will not use it for the cost associated to packing it in for each unit sold. There is always a possibility that we can make our own USB-C to micro-USB-B cable, so you do not need to use an adapter, in the future.

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #24 of 37
Any slim chance it would be as simple as a future software update? Or likely a hardware update on the 3rd iteration of this?

I personally do not have any knowledge on why it doesn't work, but it can be for several reasons, such as the HA-2SE needing to do analog to digital (A/D), additional licensing costs, or limitation of the specifications for using an external DAC for Android and iOS devices. So all I can say is that if we can do it through firmware, we will, otherwise it will just not be possible.

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #25 of 37

*edit

I've always recommended this USB-C to micro-USB-B adapter to customers and have not had anyone complain.

You may also need to enable Developer Tools on your phone and make sure that you have set USB Mode to MTP and set Disable USB Audio to OFF.

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #26 of 37

Should work fine, but I have seen some customers report jitter when using newer Samsung phones that have upgraded to Marshmallow. For these customers we recommend using USB Audio Player Pro, as the issue seems to stem from the USB driver that Samsung uses with the latest Android OS.

Well THAT explains why when I used the HA-2 with my now former Galaxy S7 that my music would "skip" like every 3-5 minutes! I hope Samsung fixes that issue for those who want to use this device with one of their phones. I now have the Sony Xperia X Performance and this issue does NOT occur with it, EVER. 

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #27 of 37

I've always recommended this USB-C to micro-USB-B adapter to customers and have not had anyone complain.

You may also need to enable Developer Tools on your phone and make sure that you have set USB Mode to MTP and set Disable USB Audio to OFF.

I would love to try that adapter however they don't ship to Australia unfortunately. I might try some other brands off ebay and see if I have any luck, just surprised the included Samsung adapter doesn't work at all.
I can confirm in that I have USB mode to MPT in developer options however I can't find anything on 'Disable USB Audio' in the menu? I do have 'Prevent USB audio routing' and that is greyed out.

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #28 of 37

*edit

did you try something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Quality-Macbook-OnePlus-Supported-Devices/dp/B00ZWN64RS?th=1

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #29 of 37
  Shipping today, we at OPPO are proud to announce the HA-2SE. This updated release features the brand new ESS Sabre32 Reference ES9028-Q2M DAC chip in the same elegant HA-2 body that many of you have grown to love over the past year and a half.

Hey Hastur, 

What Hi-Fi just posted a brand new review on the HA-2SE. Check it out here

They make some interesting comments: 

This may not sound particularly revolutionary, but it shines through in the performance. Thankfully, the original’s dynamic, articulate and detailed sound still provides the solid foundations of the HA-2 SE’s presentation, but it’s as if it’s been stretched at both ends.

There’s now more expression and openness at the higher and lower frequencies, making the delivery tighter and more precise.

Play Destroyer’s Hell and the Oppo’s top end opens up to let the dramatic violins express themselves, with all their scratching and swooning. In comparison, they feel a little squashed through the standard HA-2.
What I'm REALLY wondering here is, did they use earphones or headphones for the review? I just e-mailed them and asked. Hopefully they reply. I was under the impression that the only noticeable difference came from earphones not headphones, but IF they used headphones, then perhaps the difference between the ESS9018 and the ESS9028 is more significant than I thought?? 

And also this one: 

The HA-2 SE’s only niggling problem is the Audioquest DragonFly Red USB DAC. Not only is it £100 cheaper but it also delivers a slightly subtler, more rhythmically surefooted sound.

I've heard ppl say on here and Massdrop that the Oppo HA-2 doesn't sound as good as cheaper amp/DAC devices like the Xduoo XD-05, but then others on both sites have refuted those claims. Since I've found myself using the HA-2's Bass Boost feature a lot more than I used to , I'd prefer to stick with more sleek-bodied (vs. the bulkier XD-05) Oppo, especially if it ISN'T unanimous that the cheaper amp/DACs are actually better. I'm not entirely convinced that "a slightly subtler, more rhythmically surefooted sound" is actually going to sound better to me (esp the first part). 

Thoughts? Comments? From you or anyone?! lol

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #30 of 37

did you try something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Quality-Macbook-OnePlus-Supported-Devices/dp/B00ZWN64RS?th=1

Hey, no I haven't tried that type of cable yet. What are you plugging into the USB A end?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back