OPPO Relases updated HA-2SE Headphone Amplifier With New ESS Sabre32 Reference ES9028-Q2M DAC
Sep 26, 2016 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37
Shipping today, we at OPPO are proud to announce the HA-2SE. This updated release features the brand new ESS Sabre32 Reference ES9028-Q2M DAC chip in the same elegant HA-2 body that many of you have grown to love over the past year and a half.

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 37
Noticed that the UK price has increased to £289, thats quite a jump from the original HA2 and puts it only around £100 less than the Chord Mojo. Is there a marked jump in performance over the previous version to compensate for this? And have you added the ability to disable the "Charging the phone" function over OTG?
Many thanks, 
James

Sep 27, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 37
There is not, which is why we are selling the HA-2SE at the same price as the HA-2. One thing you have to remember with International distribution is that they are working with the factory directly and they have to worry about two tiered distribution (ex. UK to Distributor; Distributor to Resellers; Resellers to Customer) while we are single tiered (we sell direct to both the Reseller/Customer, with the customer also able to purchase through a Reseller). So their margins are going to be completely different from our own.

The HA-2SE does not charge itself from an OTG connection when you are using our supplied cable. If you use a third party cable, then the HA-2SE will draw power. This is a pin arrangement issue and not really a software issue with the HA-2SE, so there is no firmware planned to address this.

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 37
  Shipping today, we at OPPO are proud to announce the HA-2SE. This updated release features the brand new ESS Sabre32 Reference ES9028-Q2M DAC chip in the same elegant HA-2 body that many of you have grown to love over the past year and a half.

Hi Hastur, 

Can the Oppo HA-2SE get any louder than the HA-2 is able to? 

Also, could you elaborate more on the differences between the 2 devices besides them having different DAC models? 

Thanks. 

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 37
It will not get any louder than the HA-2, and aside from the switch to the ESS ES9028-Q2M chipset, the only other design change was a returning of the amplifier section to reduce/eliminate the small hiss/white noise that some IEM users experienced with the headphone output. Otherwise, the products are identical. This is why we are just replacing the HA-2 with the HA-2SE, rather than releasing it as a competing product at a higher price.

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 37
  It will not get any louder than the HA-2, and aside from the switch to the ESS ES9028-Q2M chipset, the only other design change was a returning of the amplifier section to reduce/eliminate the small hiss/white noise that some IEM users experienced with the headphone output. Otherwise, the products are identical. This is why we are just replacing the HA-2 with the HA-2SE, rather than releasing it as a competing product at a higher price.

Hastur, 

I see. Ok. Thank you so much for clarifying! 

I have the HA-2 and LOVE it!! It's an EXCELLENT device and sounds great too! Love the Bass Boost feature (which I only use now and then) as well as the solid design. 

Sep 27, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 37
Hi, Hastur,

I love my HA-2/PM-3 combo!

Is there an appreciable sound difference between the new DAC and the one in the original HA-2? If so, how would you characterize it?

Thanks!

Sep 28, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #11 of 37
Thanks, Hastur!

I certainly can't find anything to complain about with my current one. It's a superb little device!

Sep 29, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 37
Interested in getting this for my iPhone 7.

I've got headphones that have inline microphones and controls and don't want to sell them to get the wireless versions.

Will this pass through to the microphone? And inline wired controls?

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #15 of 37
Interested in getting this for my iPhone 7.

I've got headphones that have inline microphones and controls and don't want to sell them to get the wireless versions.

Will this pass through to the microphone? And inline wired controls?

It will not pass any of the control or microphone information. It is audio only from the iPhone to the HA-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back