OPPO Proudly Announces the Sonica Grand Wi-Fi Speaker. North American Premiere at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (Oct 7-9)
Sep 26, 2016 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

OPPO Sonica Grand is a Wi-Fi speaker designed with state of the art technology and features delivering unbeatable sound quality in a compact package. Its ability to be placed virtually anywhere you have a power outlet makes it perfect for high resolution, multi-room music streaming that anyone with a smartphone or tablet can easily use.

Sonica Grand comes equipped with both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities, allowing you to enjoy the benefits of each of these technologies. With Wi-Fi, you get the benefit of controlling the speakers from anywhere in your home, higher quality sound, and the ability to stream to multiple speakers throughout your home. With Bluetooth, you have the convenience of a quick and simple connection for locations where Wi-Fi is not available.

Sonica Grand is controlled via a dedicated app that can stream high resolution audio files up to 192 kHz / 24-bit from your mobile devices, USB drives, DLNA servers, or NAS drives. Sonica Grand supports AirPlay and DLNA when connected via Wi-Fi or Ethernet, Bluetooth, and direct connection via a 3.5 mm analog input.

Each part of Sonica Grand is specifically designed for robust and engaging sound quality. Its curved chassis consists of a single unibody piece of aluminum and helps provide a stable foundation even at very high volumes. Sonica Grand houses a three-way sound system with seven active drivers and individual amplifiers. The alignment of the three long displacement woofers on the front panel guarantees a wide sound field, and with Sonica Grand's planar ribbon tweeters, you have an effortlessly smooth and detailed treble response. In addition, Sonica Grand features multiple sound optimization presets that can be used to tune the speaker's sound for different room environments and listening preferences.

Sep 28, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 26
At this time I can only really say that it is huge. Like two times larger huge. This means more active speakers in the cabinet and increased unit cost

We will have the full details at Rocky Mountain and we will update the website at the same time to show the specifications and pricing of this massive (sounding) network speaker.

Sep 28, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 26
At this time I can only really say that it is huge. Like two times larger huge. This means more active speakers in the cabinet and increased unit cost

We will have the full details at Rocky Mountain and we will update the website at the same time to show the specifications and pricing of this massive (sounding) network speaker.
Thank you for your respond.
I only ask cause my wife is going to buy me Sonica WiFi speaker for Christmas. I'm wondering if I should just wait or just get the Sonica that's out now for the holidays.
Mike

Sep 28, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 26
I would recommend waiting at least until the following Friday to make up your mind over which one you want as a Christmas present. The Sonica Grand is definitely designed to replace dedicated stereo speakers in terms of raw output volume and audio clarity while the Sonica is more in-line with the type of audio you'd expect from a wireless speaker you have setup in the corner of a room.

We will be exhibiting the speakers at Rocky Mountain as well, so you should start to see some impressions on Head-Fi and possibly other websites from people who have the opportunity to audition them.

Sep 28, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 26
I would recommend waiting at least until the following Friday to make up your mind over which one you want as a Christmas present. The Sonica Grand is definitely designed to replace dedicated stereo speakers in terms of raw output volume and audio clarity while the Sonica is more in-line with the type of audio you'd expect from a wireless speaker you have setup in the corner of a room.

We will be exhibiting the speakers at Rocky Mountain as well, so you should start to see some impressions on Head-Fi and possibly other websites from people who have the opportunity to audition them.
Thanks again
Yea I will be using my Astell & Kern AK380 DAP. Really looking forward to the Grand to come out. Would you know if it will be out by the hoildays? & will it play DSD format as well?
Mike

Sep 28, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #7 of 26
We hope to have it out by the end of the year. In terms of what it can playback, it is the same as the Sonica, so no DSD.

Oct 7, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 26

We have a hotel room configured for customers to listen to the Sonica Grand in stereo, so be sure to check us out for the duration of the Rocky Mountain Audio Festival!

Oct 9, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #10 of 26
We will not be streaming from the show or releasing any videos. We are unfortunately not really configured for that.

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 26
''My last stop on the second floor: Oppo.
I knew timing was on my side when I walked in and heard, from the entrance, that they were playing Elton John's "Rocket Man." We listened to it the rest of the way through on the Sonica Grand Wi-Fi Speaker ($699) and the smaller Sonica Wi-Fi speaker ($299). Both are to be released before the end of the year.
Ironically, the Sonica was more gratifying to listen to than its larger counterpart. To me, Elton's vocal nuances were communicated more thoroughly through the Sonica, whereas, on the Sonica Grand, the vocals sounded just a tad bloated and fluffy. Obviously the Sonica's treble range is not as pretty as on the Sonica Grand…but that's the usual tradeoff, right? Generally speaking, they were both pleasant wi-fi speakers to listen to, and these are just my nitpickings.''

Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/rmaf-2016-janas-sunday-show#e6qOvICbFumU5sQc.99

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #13 of 26
Question for those who already listened to Sonica Grant: Does it sounds better than latest version of BW Zeppelin Air? Or newest version of Sonos Play:5? Criteria: sounds quality, bass, maximum volume level.

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #14 of 26
Question for those who already listened to Sonica Grant: Does it sounds better than latest version of BW Zeppelin Air? Or newest version of Sonos Play:5? Criteria: sounds quality, bass, maximum volume level.

yes i am also hoping for a similar comparison...
also toss in bluesound pulse mini (or bluesound pulse 2 vs the sonica grand)
and peachtree deepblue 2

Dec 13, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #15 of 26

I just purchased the play 5, and the zeppelin air will be here Friday. As long as the sonica grand starts to ship soon, I will be purchasing that one also for comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back