OPPO Proudly Announces the Sonica Grand Wi-Fi Speaker. North American Premiere at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (Oct 7-9)
Dec 22, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #17 of 26
I'm in the market for something like this but I don't understand the marketing messaging. The standard Sonica speaker is supposed to be enough for a small space, with a second in stereo only really recommended for larger rooms. If the message was that the Grand would be an alternative to two Sonica speakers, okay, that makes sense, but instead you are invited to use two Grands for stereo, which seems like a whole load of money to spend on a stereo pair.

Yet there's no mention so far about whether, for example, two Grands could act as a 3.1 (or better) cinema system, which would at least make sense of a speaker set in this price bracket. I just can't understand the intended use: is this thing supposed to compete with the Devialet Phantom in the 'aspirational lifestyle' niche?

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #18 of 26
I got a question for Sonica owners. I just got it for Christmas and I transfer all my high res music up to 192khz to my Seagate drive to the Sonica usb. Now is it normal for all the music say flac version on my phone? I thought it would say the bit rate on the phone. Thanks in advance

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #23 of 26
I'm not surprised. I own the sonica. From what I heard the SQ was better then the sonica grand! Next month we will be visiting Oppo & getting another Sonica for stereo pair. My opinion the best value for the Sonica. SQ is amazing!

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #25 of 26
I would buy one for the guest room if they had the foresight to add an optical digital input.

I use chromecast audio throught out the house so unfortunately I can't support their proprietary system.

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #26 of 26
I would buy one for the guest room if they had the foresight to add an optical digital input.

I use chromecast audio throught out the house so unfortunately I can't support their proprietary system.

You can use DLNA via Wifi and Ethernet, Bluetooth, Airplay, USB in (although not as a and analog audio in. You don't *have* to use Sonica's proprietary Wifi and Ethernet networking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back