Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Mar 10, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #6,076 of 6,302
Another supplier of replacement pads for PM-3: Vesper Audio

I am in discussion with them at the moment. Once I have received the pads, I will tell about my experience.
I got a set of pads from them for my Audeze Sine. They make a good product IMO. I actually need to contact them about making cable adapters for my Phonak PFE232. I don’t mind the stock pads I have on my PM-3 right now. If they go bad I’ll probably contact someone for a new set :p

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #6,077 of 6,302
I was lucky enough to buy two sets of OEM pads for $30 all up including postage from Oppo, just before they closed shop. I should have bought ten instead, haha! They're not too bad but depending on your use, don't last too long before get flat and uncomfortable.

Mar 10, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #6,078 of 6,302
FYI, Drop are now selling earpads for the Pandas.

https://drop.com/buy/drop-earpads-for-panda-wireless-headphone#overview

Looking at the photo that someone posted in the discussion on the page, the mounting clips on the Panda look the same (identical?) to the mounting system on my PM3s.

Maybe worth a gamble?

The sheepskin or hybrids sounds like the go.

Can anyone confirm these fit?
Any other suggestions for good replacement pads would be highly appreciated.

Mar 10, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #6,079 of 6,302
I was lucky enough to buy two sets of OEM pads for $30 all up including postage from Oppo, just before they closed shop. I should have bought ten instead, haha! They're not too bad but depending on your use, don't last too long before get flat and uncomfortable.
Ah, is this the issue everyone has with them? LOL, my head is too small for them to do this I think XD

Mar 11, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #6,080 of 6,302
Can anyone confirm these fit?
Any other suggestions for good replacement pads would be highly appreciated.
I took the pads off my Panda and am able to confirm that they do not fit the Oppo PM3. Also broke a clip trying to reinstall them on my Panda :/ Meh, I have a set of velours coming anyways.

Mar 11, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #6,081 of 6,302
I took the pads off my Panda and am able to confirm that they do not fit the Oppo PM3. Also broke a clip trying to reinstall them on my Panda :/ Meh, I have a set of velours coming anyways.
Hrm, what a shame. Would there be any way to take the plastic backing ring off the Panda pads and replace them with the PM3 backing ring?

Mar 11, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #6,082 of 6,302
Oh boy :frowning2:

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #6,083 of 6,302
Hrm, what a shame. Would there be any way to take the plastic backing ring off the Panda pads and replace them with the PM3 backing ring?
I feel like that should be possible, but not something I want to try.

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #6,084 of 6,302
I feel like that should be possible, but not something I want to try.
Yea no worries.

I just replaced my stock pads with sheepskin pads from YDYBZB - had to take out the plastic rings from the old pads to fit the new pads. Was just thinking maybe that might be a solution to use the Panda pads on the PM3. It's a shame that they don't fit straight out of the box, surprisingly because the mounting system looks identical from the photos - they must have changed the clip spacing?

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #6,085 of 6,302
Yea no worries.

I just replaced my stock pads with sheepskin pads from YDYBZB - had to take out the plastic rings from the old pads to fit the new pads. Was just thinking maybe that might be a solution to use the Panda pads on the PM3. It's a shame that they don't fit straight out of the box, surprisingly because the mounting system looks identical from the photos - they must have changed the clip spacing?

I may not have put them on correctly, but the spacing does seem different as they simply wouldn’t click into place. The size of the pads (OD) seem identical though. I kind of cringed as I took off the Oppo pad, that leather is probably nearly a decade old by now; it definitely made a pretty audible tearing noise...

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #6,086 of 6,302
I may not have put them on correctly, but the spacing does seem different as they simply wouldn’t click into place. The size of the pads (OD) seem identical though. I kind of cringed as I took off the Oppo pad, that leather is probably nearly a decade old by now; it definitely made a pretty audible tearing noise...
True. That being said, I did struggle to get the pads on and off with the stock rings, it's a bit of a finnicky system. Even worse with my new pads because I had to fight with excess material on the back of the pads interfering with the clips - a lot of people have to cut some of the excess material off but I just left it on.

Mar 12, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #6,087 of 6,302
True. That being said, I did struggle to get the pads on and off with the stock rings, it's a bit of a finnicky system. Even worse with my new pads because I had to fight with excess material on the back of the pads interfering with the clips - a lot of people have to cut some of the excess material off but I just left it on.
That's what i did with my aftermarket pads.
Better to cut it off to have a better fit, i'd say. :)

Mar 13, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #6,088 of 6,302
Anyone replaced the stock cable, i need to replace mine and wonder what the after-market ones are like (available in UK please) - please note i do not want balanced as all my amps are single-ended
Well in answer to my own question, i bought an audioquest tower 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable (amazon uk) as the reviews stated it fitted the oppo pm3 - which it did.

I was amazed at how much more dynamic and full the sound was - this maybe my imagination but it seemed to be better than stock.
e

Mar 16, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #6,089 of 6,302
I got a pair of Oppo PM-3s about a month ago and they're great, Currently have them hooked up to my iFi iDSD Diablo. I got my PM-3s in immaculate condition in an ebay auction for £158, came with all of the original cables and the carry case, there was no wear or flaking on the headband or pads so I think I did pretty well :D

The pads have recently started flaking pretty badly though. I contacted Oppo to see if I could get them replaced and they said they weren't offering or selling replacement pads anymore :frowning2:
Does anyone know where I can get some genuine pads? I found a seller on ebay but they are asking for like £92!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back