Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jan 25, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #6,061 of 6,302
I think I may be the only person that doesn't like the BTR5. Sounds good, I just don't think it's a very good product, which I find to be a theme with FiiO.

Jan 26, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #6,062 of 6,302
I think I may be the only person that doesn't like the BTR5. Sounds good, I just don't think it's a very good product, which I find to be a theme with FiiO.

With the risk of going too off thread here... I'll just say that the BTR5 is liked and disliked by many. It mostly just depends on what you want it to do. For me, I just wanted good sounding and decently powerful, while still being very pocketable, bluetooth amp to use while I'm commuting (I also use it in bed/while sleeping with the final e3000). So for me, it works great. I don't have connection issues, battery life is good, and it works well with all but my most hard-to-drive iems. But some people want the bluetooth stage to sound as good as it does as a usb dac. Or they are upset that they can't use the EQ when using the LDAC codec. And I think those are legitimate complaints, but I don't ever use it as a usb dac, and I have an iPhone so I just use AAC. LDAC only sounds better on end-to-end sony gear in my opinion anyway.

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #6,063 of 6,302
My BTR5 is about to be delivered. Decided to get one to replace the M11 Pro DAP potentially as BTR5 is much lighter and easier to handle while on the road. have been using it quite a lot as a BT sink while commuting and walking around, so what's the point of keeping it? At home I listen on studio monitors or on headphones, fed by the RME ADI-2 FS DAC. The M11 Pro is good but can't compete with the desktop German DAC. Will give the BTR5 a good listen and if the sound is comparable to the M11 Pro while in BT sink mode, I'll keep it. Intend to use LDAC and balanced port with my trusted PM3, IER-Z1R and Blon BL-05. Possibly with a few more cans around the home, too.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #6,064 of 6,302
My M11 Pro will be up fo sale soon. Absolutely love the BTR5. Is it as good as the DAP in terms of sound quality? Most probably not, but the advantages outweigh the minimal advantage of the M11. So I have learned something in the last 24 hours: invest as much as you can in your headphones and IEMs. Never expect a DAP or expensive desktop gear to make your low or mid-fi sound a million bucks. It never works. Instead, start with the best headphone you can afford and enjoy it, then build from there. Totally agree with BGGAR guy, there's not that much difference between DACs. The gear going on or in your ears rule.

Feb 15, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #6,065 of 6,302
Once the pleather of my PM-3 headband started to peel off, i rubbed the bottom off completely.
Now it looks a bit different.

That actually looks pretty good! You just rubbed at it with a finger and it all flaked off leaving that grey material? I'd be happy with that.
Does the top look ok then? That part doesn't peel with age?

Feb 15, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #6,066 of 6,302
That actually looks pretty good! You just rubbed at it with a finger and it all flaked off leaving that grey material? I'd be happy with that.
Does the top look ok then? That part doesn't peel with age?
Yes.
Just rubbed it slightly with my fingers.

But the top starts to flake too.
The fabric looks really nice, but bc of my hairlessness there's a sign of pilling now.

Have to buy a protection cover for the headband, nonetheless.

Feb 15, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #6,067 of 6,302
Yes.
Just rubbed it slightly with my fingers.

But the top starts to flake too.
The fabric looks really nice, but bc of my hairlessness there's a sign of pilling now.

Have to buy a protection cover for the headband, nonetheless.
Same for me. Manually rubbed off all the black layer, to keep it from continuing to flake off and be annoying, and bought a protective cover for the headband. Pretty easy for a renovation project.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #6,068 of 6,302
Anyone replaced the stock cable, i need to replace mine and wonder what the after-market ones are like (available in UK please) - please note i do not want balanced as all my amps are single-ended

thanks

d

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #6,069 of 6,302
Anyone replaced the stock cable, i need to replace mine and wonder what the after-market ones are like (available in UK please)

thanks

d

I’m not sure what options there are in the UK but I think you’re going to be impressed with the positive improvement an after market cable makes.

I have had one from Moon Audio and my current cable is from Arctic Cables. Both of these really opened up and enhanced the sound versus stock.

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #6,070 of 6,302
Anyone replaced the stock cable, i need to replace mine and wonder what the after-market ones are like (available in UK please)

thanks

d
I've this one for connecting the PM-3 balanced to my FiiO BTR5.

Custom Cans Cable

It's a great cable. :)

Another one is the Claire Hybrid from Forza Audioworks with a 4 pin XLR termination for my Audio-GD R28.

Mar 6, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #6,071 of 6,302
Anyone replaced the stock cable, i need to replace mine and wonder what the after-market ones are like (available in UK please) - please note i do not want balanced as all my amps are single-ended

thanks

d

I have mine from Norne Audio. Quite expensive silver cable, but thin and very flexible (and great sound).

Mar 9, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #6,072 of 6,302
FYI, Drop are now selling earpads for the Pandas.

https://drop.com/buy/drop-earpads-for-panda-wireless-headphone#overview

Looking at the photo that someone posted in the discussion on the page, the mounting clips on the Panda look the same (identical?) to the mounting system on my PM3s.

Maybe worth a gamble?

The sheepskin or hybrids sounds like the go.

Mar 9, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #6,073 of 6,302
Mar 9, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #6,074 of 6,302
Mar 10, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #6,075 of 6,302
Another supplier of replacement pads for PM-3: Vesper Audio

I am in discussion with them at the moment. Once I have received the pads, I will tell about my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back