Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Oct 4, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #4,666 of 6,302
If you haven't yet found one you can go to audioadvisor.com. Just look up Oppo pm-3 and click on the drop down box for color and size. They seem to list all the colors you can were looking for.

Oct 4, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #4,668 of 6,302
As for sound it is truly subjective, I hear a difference in tighter bass and more openness. Some say there is no scientific proof that it alters sound so that will be up to you. I'll tell that it's a great cable, I think I paid about $130 shipped, it will take around 1 month to get it as they have to make it and send from Poland. Definitely worth the money, I have one for my CIEMS too.

Oct 4, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #4,669 of 6,302

It looks interesting. Which model? More importantly share about how it has effected the sound quality? Finally, I'm in the US, so what about shipping times and currency exchange? I see they take PayPal, so exchange rate is controlled by PayPal. 

As for sound it is truly subjective, I hear a difference in tighter bass and more openness. Some say there is no scientific proof that it alters sound so that will be up to you. I'll tell that it's a great cable, I think I paid about $130 shipped, it will take around 1 month to get it as they have to make it and send from Poland. Definitely worth the money, I have one for my CIEMS too.

FYI, if you order using UPS, you pay a lot more in shipping, but you don't pay any VAT, so it comes out to a little bit more but you get it in a few days instead of a month.

Also, the sound isn't a huge alteration, but I felt like it sounded a bit more open and detailed, but who knows I'm probably crazy.

The one pictured is the Claire (I think) and I have the Noir for mine.

Oct 4, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #4,670 of 6,302
FYI, if you order using UPS, you pay a lot more in shipping, but you don't pay any VAT, so it comes out to a little bit more but you get it in a few days instead of a month.

Also, the sound isn't a huge alteration, but I felt like it sounded a bit more open and detailed, but who knows I'm probably crazy.

The one pictured is the Claire (I think) and I have the Noir for mine.

Yeah it's the Claire with black cable and Viablue connectors. You have to tell its for PM3s to do it will fit in the headphone. I just what ever they use I think it was DHL.

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #4,671 of 6,302
Just received my pm-3s last week... Is anyone else getting really sore ears?
I think the pads are a bit too small so my ears are terribly sore after 15 minutes. By the looks of it Oppo have no immediate plans to offer a remedy so there arent any options but selling them - which would suck because I really like them.

Also, i bought a ha-2 expecting a big difference over just running it through my lg v-10 phone (which also has a DAC) but its pretty much the same as far as I can tell. Could I be doing something wrong or were my expectations just too high?

Differences in DACs and amps are often exaggerated so I think what you are hearing is simply that the V10 is a great sounding phone. If you can't really hear any difference now save the money and sell the HA2 while it is still in demand. The FiiO E5 will be out soon and people will be very interested in that I'm sure so HA2 will start to feel "old" and used values may drop a little. Hope the comfort issues gets better, the PM3 is a really nice headphone so it would be a shame to have to sell it.

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #4,672 of 6,302
Just got the Noble BTS (Bluetooth receiver) delivered to my office. https://nobleaudio.com/en/shop/wireless/
I'll charge it tomorrow and test it with PM-3 to see if it can drive it reasonably for on the go use. I don't expect Mojo or DP-X1 performance of course but could be a nice solution for using quality cans around the house and on the go. I have found that PM-3 are a bit harder to drive than my Meze Classic 99s and the Fostex TH-X00, so if it work with the Oppos the other two should sound even better. I'm sure the Noble BTS works well with IEMs so my Flare R2Pros should sound sweet.

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #4,673 of 6,302
  Just got the Noble BTS (Bluetooth receiver) delivered to my office. https://nobleaudio.com/en/shop/wireless/
I'll charge it tomorrow and test it with PM-3 to see if it can drive it reasonably for on the go use. I don't expect Mojo or DP-X1 performance of course but could be a nice solution for using quality cans around the house and on the go. I have found that PM-3 are a bit harder to drive than my Meze Classic 99s and the Fostex TH-X00, so if it work with the Oppos the other two should sound even better. I'm sure the Noble BTS works well with IEMs so my Flare R2Pros should sound sweet.

Another very good option is the Creative E5 Bluetooth portable DAC/amp. Seems to have lots of power so should drive the PM3 extremely well from that respect.

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #4,675 of 6,302
after a lengthy and weighty deliberation, I finally pulled the trigger on these phones. should be here Friday.

probably should start looking for a cable upgrade. source will be be-zx2.

The cable won't make any difference in sound (IMO); however, the ZX2 is quite underpowered for full sized headphones so if the pseudo-balanced output of the ZX2 provides more power then yes. Now, if you aren't using this for portable use you would be WAY better off getting any kind of amp to use with the ZX2. 15mW of output is really not very much, but to be fair the PM3 is fairly efficient but if you are like me and like louder playback levels, and have some quieter mastered material, the ZX2 is going to struggle. Don't get me wrong, I almost bought the ZX2 on a few occasions as I know how amazing it sounds, but it is the lack of any real power that stopped me. Even Sony figured that out, look at the power on their new DAPs, quite a bit higher. The ZX2 is ideal for IEM or extremely easy to drive loads. All of this just IMO, your perspective may be quite different, and equally valid.

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #4,676 of 6,302
The cable won't make any difference in sound (IMO); however, the ZX2 is quite underpowered for full sized headphones so if the pseudo-balanced output of the ZX2 provides more power then yes. Now, if you aren't using this for portable use you would be WAY better off getting any kind of amp to use with the ZX2. 15mW of output is really not very much, but to be fair the PM3 is fairly efficient but if you are like me and like louder playback levels, and have some quieter mastered material, the ZX2 is going to struggle. Don't get me wrong, I almost bought the ZX2 on a few occasions as I know how amazing it sounds, but it is the lack of any real power that stopped me. Even Sony figured that out, look at the power on their new DAPs, quite a bit higher. The ZX2 is ideal for IEM or extremely easy to drive loads. All of this just IMO, your perspective may be quite different, and equally valid.

thank you for the feedback!

I really prefer to keep my rig as portable as possible. I enjoy the zx2's signature and don't want anything in the middle altering that. I'll give it a go when they come in. if they don't sound ideal under my listening conditions, then I'll consider adding something.

hoping that I like how they sound...

Oct 6, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #4,679 of 6,302
Just a random FYI Oppo now has white PM-3 back in stock, just ordered a pair! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #4,680 of 6,302
Hello all, is there a ready-made cable that is appropriate to connect the PM-3 with 2.5mm balanced A&K DAPs? I mostly saw diy solutions, but I'm looking for a ready-made (reasonably priced) option.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back