Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Aug 28, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #4,636 of 6,302
Post a picture, I would love to see it. My brother restored a gorgeous ONKYO receiver of about the same vintage, damn it looks fine.

I have a somewhat vintage Onkyo receiver from about 1990 or so, still works great and looks great. But only use PM3s with iFi DSD. You'll have to get the PM3s to use with your DSD Micro as they have great synergy!

Aug 28, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #4,637 of 6,302
Quote:
I have a somewhat vintage Onkyo receiver from about 1990 or so, still works great and looks great. But only use PM3s with iFi DSD. You'll have to get the PM3s to use with your DSD Micro as they have great synergy!
Ha, ha, too late, just sold my Micro. I loved it, but when I bought the Micro I didn't have a great space so I needed a very small footprint as I was sitting at the kitchen table most of the time. I have since set up my old office as a music room so sadly the Micro was not really being used and I hate seeing something that good, it is awesome as you know, being wasted so I sold it to somebody in mint condition and they saved over $100 plus the taxes so I paid it forward. Ironically the buyer is loaded with cash as he is the IT manager for a major national property company, both residential and commercial. His home gear is all Accuphase and Harbeth, so that tells you something.

Here is a shot of my new listening station.

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #4,638 of 6,302

I'm not sure if I'll ever go that route. I have never even considered desktop gear as I like being on the go. I use my gear mowing the lawn, working in the garage, chores around the house. I wish I could use it at work but I'm in meetings a lot or having to talk to someone so it's just not worth it. I know its wrong but I do a lot of listening while driving.

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #4,639 of 6,302
I'm not sure if I'll ever go that route. I have never even considered desktop gear as I like being on the go. I use my gear mowing the lawn, working in the garage, chores around the house. I wish I could use it at work but I'm in meetings a lot or having to talk to someone so it's just not worth it. I know its wrong but I do a lot of listening while driving.

I listen on the go almost more than at home, but my on the go tends to be walking or on public transit so I just use my phone and a good Bluetooth headphone. I still like to have a desktop system available.

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #4,641 of 6,302

Cool! I'd love to see that Onkyo too!

You can see pics of my 2275 in the audiokarma.org thread here:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/2275-has-arrived-recap-underway.635452/

Awesome, I go to AK, but not as frequently. Man you did an epic job on that lovely machine, must sound like butter. My brother had his ONKYO done by an AK member bktheking. I just don't have the time, equipment or space to get into such a project, I'll bet it is satisfying. I used to run an electronics recycling drop off depot. You wouldn't believe the vintage gear I had dropped off. Some of it perfect. There was a really classic late 70s Harman Kardon integrated that was prized by collectors. He restored it and sold it. I also had an immaculate pretty high level Rega TT from the 70s in fantastic condition, original box. Just needed cleaning and a new belt. The best and I kept this for myself was a mint, fully functional, including remote Bang & Oulfsen all in one unit from the early 90's, sliding glass door, CD player, cassette deck FM, all working really well, not a mark on it. Sounds pretty darn good I must say. 

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #4,642 of 6,302
  Awesome, I go to AK, but not as frequently. Man you did an epic job on that lovely machine, must sound like butter. My brother had his ONKYO done by an AK member bktheking. I just don't have the time, equipment or space to get into such a project, I'll bet it is satisfying. I used to run an electronics recycling drop off depot. You wouldn't believe the vintage gear I had dropped off. Some of it perfect. There was a really classic late 70s Harman Kardon integrated that was prized by collectors. He restored it and sold it. I also had an immaculate pretty high level Rega TT from the 70s in fantastic condition, original box. Just needed cleaning and a new belt. The best and I kept this for myself was a mint, fully functional, including remote Bang & Oulfsen all in one unit from the early 90's, sliding glass door, CD player, cassette deck FM, all working really well, not a mark on it. Sounds pretty darn good I must say. 

Thank you. The original owner must have kept it in a clean room or something. It was spotless before I even started work on it. I was lucky to find it.

Sounds like that B&O is really nice. I remember seeing those at a local hi-fi shop where my cousin worked at the time.

Aug 29, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #4,643 of 6,302
Aug 29, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #4,645 of 6,302

Thank you. The original owner must have kept it in a clean room or something. It was spotless before I even started work on it. I was lucky to find it.

Sounds like that B&O is really nice. I remember seeing those at a local hi-fi shop where my cousin worked at the time.

Yes, starting with a clean device must really help. Yes the B&O sounds very good, surprisingly good really and I rather like the looks.

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #4,646 of 6,302
I found these replacement earpads on Amazon...says they work on all models of Oppos....is this likely to be the case?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NSEN-Replacement-Lambskin-Cushions-Headphones/dp/B01HRT4FMU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1472627274&sr=8-3&keywords=oppo+pm%3D2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back