Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Aug 23, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #4,621 of 6,302
I spent about $50 on a DIY balanced cable, using Canare Star microphone cable (stripped out the 4 wires and used paracord sleeve). Soldering was very tricky. On my CEntrance M8, I cannot really see any improvement over the Oppo straight cable I ordered when I purchased the PM-3 direct from Oppo.

That could be because the M8 is not a balanced amp. It has a balanced output but not a balanced amp section. A true balanced DAC and amp might show improvements. I personally love the PM-3 with the LIquid Carbon balanced. It sounds sublime. On our last Meetup a lot of people heard that setup and were very impressed. Specially the ones who remembered the PM-3 as boring where quite surprised how non-boring it sounded Haha.

Edit: usually using the same amp single ended or balanced results in a three to four times higher power output, not so with the M8, I am afraid. Other CEntrance products like the Gloveaudio have a proper balanced amp section (and say so in the specs).

Cheers.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #4,623 of 6,302
  The problem is you don't have a non-DSD version of the same track to compare with so how could you know if the DSD is better sounding? You need a comparison point right?

Indeed, but you can try with tidal or spotify. I tried and at the  first glance I couldn't say which instrument sounded better, but the overall experience was much better with DSD. I know you might say it is a placebo effect, but it is not. On Oppo PM-3 I was stoned by the 2pac "Ambitionz az a Ridah" DSD128. The punch of the bass and the laid back voice were great. I could really feel what some said about the wow effect of pm-3's and hip-hop music. And let me mention that hip-hop music was not on my list of genres until that moment. With some relax music I experienced great feeling. If someone needs some guidance on how to set up foobar2000 to play DSD or SACD files, let me know :wink:

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #4,624 of 6,302
So why is it you are going with a new cable? I am also not one who feels cables make significant sonic differences and go custom when it is the only way to solve a problem/need/want.

I need one because this 9 foot thing and the iPhone cable that comes with it use the same plasticky cheap covering that won't last years I'll be using these earphones.

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #4,625 of 6,302
I need one because this 9 foot thing and the iPhone cable that comes with it use the same plasticky cheap covering that won't last years I'll be using these earphones.

That's the main reason why I upgraded mine as well. That covering knicks off really easily. My LCD-2 cable was the same kind of covering and after a year of use there were a bunch of knicks on it that were so bad that copper was exposed underneath. I didn't want to go through that again, so I got an extremely sturdy cable from Forza.

Aug 25, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #4,626 of 6,302

Makes perfect sense, solving a problem. It is also nice to get a good looking cable, why not right? Looks do help us enjoy our gear more, I don't mind admitting looks are a factor for me.

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #4,630 of 6,302
Hi, I have had my PM-3 for about a month now. I bought them after reading this thread and Bob Katz' blog on Innerfidelity. I'm an audio professional as well as a music lover and these are the end of a years-long search for a new personal reference sealed headphone! Previous recent "trys" were AKG K-553, Beyer DT-1770 (truly hideous to my ear and spectacularly overpriced), Senn Momentum 2 (I never have cared for the Sennheiser "house sound"), V-Moda M-100, AT M-50x. I'm shuttling them in their case between home & work daily.

I can't believe the quality of the mids on these and the fast transient response across the board. I had never heard planar magnetic phones before but do have a distant memory of hearing and really liking Magnepan speakers.

I do like a little more bass slam when listening to music personally and these take EQ beautifully. "Basshead" phones like the M-100 and Beyer DT-770 have too much bass at times abd suck out too much of the mids.

Speaking of listening personally, thank you so much to those on here that mentioned that the Shanling M5 DAP might be a good match for the PM-3. It really is to my ear! Buttery smooth highs that seem to ease the slight 8k "edge" the PM-3's have. And the M5's built-in EQ is providing the missing "air" with a 2dB boost of the 16k slider as well as the bass slam I like with about a 3dB boost to the 31 & 63Hz sliders.

Professionally, I use the PM-3's out of the headphone amps of various devices, all of which drive them just fine. For desktop, I'm using my lovingly restored 1976 Marantz 2275 receiver to drive them.

A definite keeper for me!

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #4,631 of 6,302

Professionally, I use the PM-3's out of the headphone amps of various devices, all of which drive them just fine. For desktop, I'm using my lovingly restored 1976 Marantz 2275 receiver to drive them.

A definite keeper for me!

Yes, I miss my PM3 and may re-acquire a set in the near future. I assume the 2275 simply puts a bunch of resistors on the output for the headphones? That is a gorgeous receiver by the way.

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #4,632 of 6,302
Yes, I miss my PM3 and may re-acquire a set in the near future. I assume the 2275 simply puts a bunch of resistors on the output for the headphones? That is a gorgeous receiver by the way.

Correct. Resistors off the power amps.

Thanks, My Dad had bought me the first one I had as a teenager back then. It was my first good piece of audio gear. I ended up taking it apart to do some mods or something when I was learning electronics but never got it back together and it disappeared over the years. I had been looking for one to restore for quite a while and finally found a really nice one a couple years ago. Marantz stamped the date of manufacture on the chassis and it turns out this one was made on my Dad's birthday in 1976. It was one of those things that was meant to be I guess.

I love working on gear of that vintage. Discrete componentry is so easy to work on and those things were built like tanks! Sounds great too!

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #4,634 of 6,302
Hi,

I'm about to upgrade my DT770s to PM-3s and was wondering which amp/dac should I get, atm I have an Essence STX in my PC, but I'm thinking of first getting an external amp using the STX as dac and later an external dac as well.

Been thinking about the Schiit Magni 2 and later Modi 2.

Aug 28, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #4,635 of 6,302
I love working on gear of that vintage. Discrete componentry is so easy to work on and those things were built like tanks! Sounds great too!

Post a picture, I would love to see it. My brother restored a gorgeous ONKYO receiver of about the same vintage, damn it looks fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back