Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Aug 10, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #4,546 of 6,302
Yes, Bluetooth is easily the way to go and the sound quality DOES NOT drop, don't believe otherwise, use your own ears. With AptX now the quality is transparent. As we know when you look at actual well done listening tests (blind) people can't tell 320mp3 from the lossless master and Apt X sample rates are higher than that. For portable use it is awesome and you will not suffer any audible sound quality loss. Just sayin if you ever do want to experiment with a new portable rig, your apt x enabled phone plus an apt x headphone will be an eye-opening experience for you.

The sound DOES DROP on lossless and much more on Hi-res and DSD. Even with Aptx things haven't got fixed yet, but we can expect better in the coming years.

Aug 10, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #4,547 of 6,302
The sound DOES DROP on lossless and much more on Hi-res and DSD. Even with Aptx things haven't got fixed yet, but we can expect better in the coming years.

As this is OT and actually a sound science forum topic I won't get into here; however, if you want to find out about actual experiments conducted that look at whether or not people can tell the difference it is worth dropping by the sound science forum. I know it is the no-fun forum for many, but it is always good to see if our assumptions are actually backed up by any science. If not no worries, cheers.

Aug 11, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #4,548 of 6,302
I'm enjoying the PM-3 > HA-2 though I think the PM-3 benefits from, in general, a touch of high end air type eq.
When listening from iPhone to wave files I'm using Onkyo HF player so I can add a touch of top.

It seems it's not available for the iPad (2) though ? Any other good options.

Aug 13, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #4,549 of 6,302
I'm running the PM-3's portable from a Chord Mojo. I don't think I've heard a better pair of genuinely portable headphones. I agree that the top end is a little bit rolled off, but that suits my (slightly treble-sensitive) ears fine. Wearing glasses in this case turns out to be a blessing - with a full seal I find the bass slightly overpowering, and my glasses break the seal just enough to put the bass where I want it!

On the home rig with the Mjolnir 2 they don't scale amazingly well. There is a touch of hollowness in the mids which never quite goes away. Though they do improve a fair bit with a balanced cable (mainly in terms of soundstage).

Aug 13, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #4,550 of 6,302
  I'm running the PM-3's portable from a Chord Mojo. I don't think I've heard a better pair of genuinely portable headphones. I agree that the top end is a little bit rolled off, but that suits my (slightly treble-sensitive) ears fine. Wearing glasses in this case turns out to be a blessing - with a full seal I find the bass slightly overpowering, and my glasses break the seal just enough to put the bass where I want it!

On the home rig with the Mjolnir 2 they don't scale amazingly well. There is a touch of hollowness in the mids which never quite goes away. Though they do improve a fair bit with a balanced cable (mainly in terms of soundstage).

I'm with you on that combo. I take transatlantic flights every 3-4 months. This combo has made that experience so much more enjoyable. I almost look forward to them. For me, the PM-3 gives more than enough isolation as well. 

Bought these on somewhat of a whim at an airport, coincidentally. Buyer's remorse lasted approximately one song.

Edit: Take the flights, not make them. I am not a pilot and wonder if listening to headphones is a good or bad idea for them 
basshead.gif

Aug 13, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #4,552 of 6,302
Would you say there's a discernable different between the HA-2 and Mojo? I've had my PM-3's for a while now and have just been running them from a Dragonfly 1.2, but looking to upgrade now, with the 2 mentioned being my front runners.

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #4,553 of 6,302
  I agree that the Mojo and HA2 pair really well with the PM3 but if you guys get a chance you should try the PM3 with the iFi DSD Micro, to me, so far this is the best combo I have heard to date. 

I wish I still had me PM3 as I have a Micro and I can just imagine the combination would be pretty solid. I really like the Micro, it does everything well, and nothing wrong.

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #4,554 of 6,302
  I agree that the Mojo and HA2 pair really well with the PM3 but if you guys get a chance you should try the PM3 with the iFi DSD Micro, to me, so far this is the best combo I have heard to date. 

I would have to agree with all that is said.   I pair it with my mojo right before i sold the amp and it was good, but nothing really special.  Now the Micro, thats a different story.  The pm-3 is the only set that I have that benefited from the 3d switch.  it just opens up the headphones.  clears up some of the congestion and it adds just enough to the top end.  I would say its the ideal sound sig the pm-3 should've gotten.

Aug 13, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #4,557 of 6,302
Would you say there's a discernable different between the HA-2 and Mojo? I've had my PM-3's for a while now and have just been running them from a Dragonfly 1.2, but looking to upgrade now, with the 2 mentioned being my front runners.

Yes there is but not a 300 dollar difference. Like I said above though the Micro with PM3s is where it's at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back