Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Apr 26, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #4,186 of 6,313
  Hey, post numbers and time here don't matter. We often see new members here who are very experienced and even sometimes actual engineers who really know what they are talking about so by all means, feel free to share. I have encountered people with high post counts who generate a great deal of posts talking about nothing, or the same thing over and over again so that doesn't tell us much about their experience or knowledge. I have TONS to learn and I love learning so I'm always open to new ideas.

Well, I am actual engineer... :)

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #4,187 of 6,313
Apr 26, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #4,189 of 6,313
I think Mods and eq are great tools. Look at what Mr Speakers and ZMF have done with Fostex.

Absolutely, we didn't say mods can't have a positive effect, but it is just as likely they can have a negative effect. I'm sure Mr. Speakers and ZMF had lots of trial and error. You just never hear hobby modders here ever reporting problems, everything is always better which seems unrealistic to expect. But, yes, your point is well taken, mods by definition are not bad.

Apr 26, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #4,190 of 6,313
I think Mods and eq are great tools. Look at what Mr Speakers and ZMF have done with Fostex.

Of course - but they are not examples of the "EQ is crazy! Now, let me bust out my needles and thread" ilk.

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #4,193 of 6,313
Just thought I'd stop by to toss my impressions into the ring. I recently participated in the PM-3 loaner program and wrote up the following review:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-pm-3/reviews/15864

TL;DR: I really liked the sound of these headphones, but sadly I couldn't wear them comfortably. Still searching for that perfect headphone for portable use...

May 2, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #4,194 of 6,313
Just snagged these today. 

The PM-3 is by far my favorite portable headphone. 

I've been spoiled by the endless bass extension of the SE846 and this is the first portable I've tried satisfies my craving for visceral sub bass on a neutral headphone.

I first tried them at the Toronto Audio Video Entertainment show in 2014 where Igor (the designer) brought 3 beta versions with various pad thickness. Although they sounded great then, the final product is one that raised the bar for portable audiophile headphones across the board.

At this price point I expected either a great sounding headphone made from cheap materials or a premium material headphone that sounds acceptable. I never expected to have my cake and eat it too, i.e the perfect blend of quality materials, awesome aesthetics and sound quality that not only hits above it's price point but is also unique for a headphone (IMO). 

I have to give major props to Igor: you sir are a brilliant engineer.

May 4, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #4,195 of 6,313
Just received a V-moda cable that I used with my PM-3s. It has a nice 45 degree angle plug and separate microphone and control buttons, so the mic can be closer to your mouth and the controls in a less awkward position.

The cable that came with the PM-3 was always seen to me as the only thing I could ding it for, but with this $15 V-moda cable it feels complete. I highly recommend it for those who want a new cable but don't want to shell out hundreds for a custom cable.

May 5, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #4,196 of 6,313
Just received a V-moda cable that I used with my PM-3s. It has a nice 45 degree angle plug and separate microphone and control buttons, so the mic can be closer to your mouth and the controls in a less awkward position.

The cable that came with the PM-3 was always seen to me as the only thing I could ding it for, but with this $15 V-moda cable it feels complete. I highly recommend it for those who want a new cable but don't want to shell out hundreds for a custom cable.

I'm also pleased with the VModa boom mic as a when-needed accessory to my PM3. I don't dislike the audio quality of the stock cables. A boom mic provides better isolation from environmental noise. No controls but mute on the boom mic, though.

May 5, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #4,197 of 6,313
+1 mate. Not to mention, you can't add missing information, if it is missing, it always will be. You can boost, but it is far trickier to do than say cutting so I typically only ever use a parametric EQ to cut, never add as it is beyond my skills. There are some really experienced users here who know how to EQ and the amount of time they spent gaining that knowledge and experience is scary. I still think an EQ is always better than a mod as you can work on the EQ so easily and defeat or apply it at will so it is the eminently more user controllable way to achieve an effect.

+1 And the EQ effect can be necessary only for specific tracks or albums. Or, let me be honest, my mood.

May 5, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #4,198 of 6,313
Completely love my PM-3s but haven't had anything else to compare them to so I'm definitely no expert. Just noticed something today whilst listening to 'Madam George' by Van Morrison from the 'Astral Weeks' album. About 25-30 seconds in there is a faint drum roll as he sings the line 'marching with the soldier boys'. My source is an AK Jr and when listening through my Bose Sound link Mini via Bluetooth  this drum roll can fairly clearly be heard whereas it can't through my PM-3s. I'm really not up to speed with the terminology but would this be an example of the 'rolled off treble' I hear spoken of from time to time?

May 5, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #4,199 of 6,313
  Completely love my PM-3s but haven't had anything else to compare them to so I'm definitely no expert. Just noticed something today whilst listening to 'Madam George' by Van Morrison from the 'Astral Weeks' album. About 25-30 seconds in there is a faint drum roll as he sings the line 'marching with the soldier boys'. My source is an AK Jr and when listening through my Bose Sound link Mini via Bluetooth  this drum roll can fairly clearly be heard whereas it can't through my PM-3s. I'm really not up to speed with the terminology but would this be an example of the 'rolled off treble' I hear spoken of from time to time?

I put on that song as soon as I read your post and that drum roll is easily the loudest part of that passage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back