Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Apr 6, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #4,036 of 6,302
  Guys, I plan to buy the PM-3 but my concerns are that I will play it directly from my Note 3 and sometimes from my standard PC, most of the files are AAC 256kbps and Spotify streaming. Do you think it is worth it to buy PM-3 or I have to buy some good DAP/DAC/Amp instead ?

Usually I use ZA Duoza and Senn PX100 for daily purposes.

Thanks.

Yes, it's playing ok form your sources. But I would put a small DAC/Amp on my list of next purchases. At least something like:
Schiit Fulla
CEntrance DACport Slim
AudioQuest Dragonfly 
Audioengine D3
or a small DAC/Amp like the iDSD Nano form ifi.

Cheers.

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #4,038 of 6,302
  I like the pairing of the PM-3 with the Cambridge DacMagic XS being fed from my Galaxy Note 3. I just installed a 128GB MicroSD for the music for

DacMagic XS also a great choice indeed.

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #4,039 of 6,302
@Bullishbear to be honest, since the Galaxy Note 3 is already 24/192. You might be fine with just a Fiio E6  or something similar just to give it a bump in horsepower so that the bass won't sound as thin and the mids flesh out a bit more. A DAC might not be necessary.

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #4,040 of 6,302
Just picked up a pair of these today, have only got to try them so far off my Nexus 5 alone as I have not been home yet.
So far very impressed, the bass is much more present (despite being from my Nexus) then I expected after reading this thread for a week or so, definitely wouldn't call them bass light. The quality of the bass seems very good also, typical planar bass to me.
Maybe I am just partial to the planar sound (see signature haha), looking forward to trying them on my desktop setup.

edit: also if anyone is curious they seem to seal very well even when I am wearing my glasses

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #4,041 of 6,302
I have no idea how any rational person could ever describe the PM3 as bass light at all. Anymore bass and it would border on too much with some material.

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #4,042 of 6,302
  I have no idea how any rational person could ever describe the PM3 as bass light at all. Anymore bass and it would border on too much with some material.

Going directly from the NAD VISO HP50 to the PM-3 made me remark that the PM-3 is bass light, and A/Bing it against a B&W P7 made me think that even more. I compared it against the Sony MDR-Z7 but they're in a different realm altogether. Do people who think calling the PM-3 "bass light" is crazy loathe those cans?

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #4,044 of 6,302
My analogy is this: the bass in the PM-3s is like natural sugar you'd find in fruit, vs artificial sugar you'd find in candy (e.g. bloated and accentuated bass, like Beats and whatnot).

At first taste -- the candy headphone seems better. So yummy! So delicious! So awesome! (and you gobble it up)

But before long, it's too much...you crash and fatigue...and you realize it wasn't that enjoyable for long-term.

At first taste -- the natural sugar/fruit headphone is good, but seemingly not great. But it grows on you. You realize it IS there. It tastes so sweet. It makes you feel better overall. And before long, you've acquired the taste for it and this is what you keep coming back to.

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #4,045 of 6,302
Perhaps my memory is off, I owned both the HP50 and Z7 and I actually sold the Z7 as it lacked sub bass. I wonder if it is sometimes just being used to the way planar bass sounds more diffused as opposed to dynamic headphones? That might explain some of the differing viewpoints, and to be fair if somebody hears the PM3 as bass light I really shouldn't imply they are irrational, so I will retract that. More I'm surprised as I was always rather impressed with the PM3 bass, but I had a few years prior with mainly planar headphones. but not exclusively as I has the Z7, MDR 1A, KEF M500, TH 900 in pretty close succession to each other. Who knows, maybe I just prefer planar bass? That said, I'm loving my current crop of dynamic portables so I can go either way. 

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #4,046 of 6,302
Well, amping makes a difference with the PM-3 as well. My SHP9500 seem to have more bass than the PM-3, but only if both are amped and cranked full tilt. Though, the articulation and detail on the PM-3 is a ton better than the SHP9500 while they physically massage my ears with their drivers flapping so much.

I like bass, but I've found that I like controlled bass. Though, there are those times when gobs of sloppy and felt bass is nice.

My future setup is going to have nice, clean cans and a tube amp in the mix. I'm also going to add in a second amp and a tactile transducer into the chair so that I can enjoy all that physical bass, without the sloppiness.

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #4,047 of 6,302
All I know is that even on max volume from my LG G4 the PM-3 sounds thin and the volume isn't loud enough. Using my DX80 it sounds totally different and very full with plenty of bass.

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #4,048 of 6,302
  All I know is that even on max volume from my LG G4 the PM-3 sounds thin and the volume isn't loud enough. Using my DX80 it sounds totally different and very full with plenty of bass.

I can definitely hit the "total volume I'm comfortable listening at" via my iPhone 5s without much effort. It sounds good, but not great.

Adding the HA-2 cleans up the sound for sure and makes it sound a tad brighter and better. More good, but still not great.

But once I switch the HA-2 to high gain, it's game over -- now it sounds incredible.

Again, the "total volume I'm comfortable listening at" is the same in all 3 of those scenarios...but the sound is so much fuller/richer bass/snappier highs/etc. I know totally understand what people mean when they've said something in regards to "it sounds so much better amped" (regardless of which headphone they're talking about).

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #4,049 of 6,302
Well after 5 years away I have logged back in today. Been away, started a business, made some money and fallen back in love with headphones!

Was keen to purchase a portable setup for music and movies on the road. Source is a MacBook Pro or iOS devices. Went and had a demo at AVAficionado in London. Sat and Demo'd the PM3s and the HA2. They fitted my needs perfectly. While they were processing my payment I Demo'd the HA1 and PM1s lol! In love!!! Already had them quote me for the combo.

Been running in the PM3s and noticed some right driver ****ery in particular on a few tracks. The Cure's "Pictures of You" especially seemed to highlight the issue. Will continue to run them in and see if it relaxes and eases in. Anyone notice anomalies with brand new PM3s that eased with burning in?

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #4,050 of 6,302
I can definitely hit the "total volume I'm comfortable listening at" via my iPhone 5s without much effort. It sounds good, but not great.

Adding the HA-2 cleans up the sound for sure and makes it sound a tad brighter and better. More good, but still not great.

But once I switch the HA-2 to high gain, it's game over -- now it sounds incredible.

Again, the "total volume I'm comfortable listening at" is the same in all 3 of those scenarios...but the sound is so much fuller/richer bass/snappier highs/etc. I know totally understand what people mean when they've said something in regards to "it sounds so much better amped" (regardless of which headphone they're talking about).

I also run the HA-2 at high gain with the PM3's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back