Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Apr 4, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #4,021 of 6,313
Hmmmpf - just listening to the PM-2 and PM-3 with the WooAudio WA8 Eclipse. 

It's a review loaner and I only have it for a few days - but it's not funny how good the Oppos pair with this amazing piece of kit. Wow. 
popcorn.gif

Apr 4, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #4,022 of 6,313
I finally received my pair of PM3 today, unboxed them 45 min ago and put some Paradise Lost through the NFB-1 Amp into them, boy do they sound good :-D

Bass hits hard but is clean, great seperation of the drums and stuff, really dig this.
I think they are pretty close to the technical performance of my HE-400i especially for a closed set, but have a rather different tonality.

I would say oppos are more laid back with slight bass emphasis, but still all the details, while the 400i are more flat into the sub bass and have more mid and treble energy, all imho ofc :)

Damn, now i need to get started and build some balanced cables for my amp and soon to arrive DAP :p

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #4,023 of 6,313
I finally received my pair of PM3 today, unboxed them 45 min ago and put some Paradise Lost through the NFB-1 Amp into them, boy do they sound good :-D

Bass hits hard but is clean, great seperation of the drums and stuff, really dig this.
I think they are pretty close to the technical performance of my HE-400i especially for a closed set, but have a rather different tonality.

I would say oppos are more laid back with slight bass emphasis, but still all the details, while the 400i are more flat into the sub bass and have more mid and treble energy, all imho ofc :)

Damn, now i need to get started and build some balanced cables for my amp and soon to arrive DAP :p

I'd have to agree on the 400i comparison, I think they have better treble response and detail and this term is so nebulous but I just feel the PM-3s are a bit more dry than the 400is. For desktop, 400i still takes the cake in my book but I'd never wear them outside. Now I have a similar (yet different enough to provide some variety) set I can take anywhere.

I'll do some kind of shootout between the 400i, PM-3 and HE-400 sometime soon. Not that they exactly compete with each other but I think the most helpful impressions are comparisons.

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #4,024 of 6,313
I do not like iOS, but I can't say that I don't envy all the expansion and add-ons that they get. Not sure why, especially since the vendors/manufacturers have to pay a license fee to Apple. They aren't even the dominant platform. So unfair.
while iOS doesn't have the most market share, it does have the most consistent OS and the best adoption rate of the newest updates. android is different from maker to maker so consistency is an issue and I'm not sure hardware/software makers want to test their stuff to be compatible with every flavor of android out there. iOS users probably also spend more on hardware and software per user, so most developers develop where the money is. not making a case for which platform is better, just a couple of reasons why there is much more in the iOS world.

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #4,026 of 6,313
, just a couple of reasons why there is much more in the iOS world.

All good points, but so many apps are just fluff, different flavours of each other. I'll bet the majority of people use less than 10% of the apps they download, yet they eat up data forgetting to disable them after the initial thrill of looking at them wears off.

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #4,027 of 6,313
Hmmmpf - just listening to the PM-2 and PM-3 with the WooAudio WA8 Eclipse. 

It's a review loaner and I only have it for a few days - but it's not funny how good the Oppos pair with this amazing piece of kit. Wow. :popcorn:

Ralf, WA8 vs LC?

Apr 5, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #4,028 of 6,313
Ralf, WA8 vs LC?

That will be a tough fight for sure - I will do the initial impressions and we can check that out as well at the meet soon :wink:

Apr 5, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #4,029 of 6,313
That will be a tough fight for sure - I will do the initial impressions and we can check that out as well at the meet soon :wink:

Thank you. I take it that you will bring your carbon to the meet. This will also help me decide whether to for the 2nd run of LC or not...

Cheers

Apr 5, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #4,030 of 6,313
Thank you. I take it that you will bring your carbon to the meet. This will also help me decide whether to for the 2nd run of LC or not...

Cheers

Of course - both will be at the meet!!

The same thing can be said for the WA7 Fireflies.  It is an incredible match with Oppos.

Yep - after spending some time with my PM-2 yesterday and the whole day with the PM-3 and this little black box - I can confidently say: They pair extremely well.

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #4,031 of 6,313
I'd bet that little black box could make a turd sound good! At that price and SIZE I'm not sure how truly portable it could be. I think I'd rather get the Firefly with PS and become a hermit.

Back on topic.  My first post was about how amazing but lacking in bass my PM-3s were. I'm going to do an almost 180 and say that the bass has much improved. Either they, or my brain burned in and I'm now in love with their bass. It seems to be a pretty common theme from posts regarding the lack of bass with these cans. 

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #4,033 of 6,313
  I'd bet that little black box could make a turd sound good! At that price and SIZE I'm not sure how truly portable it could be. I think I'd rather get the Firefly with PS and become a hermit.

Back on topic.  My first post was about how amazing but lacking in bass my PM-3s were. I'm going to do an almost 180 and say that the bass has much improved. Either they, or my brain burned in and I'm now in love with their bass. It seems to be a pretty common theme from posts regarding the lack of bass with these cans. 

Haha same happened to me! Boring lifeless, no fun to my-oh-my how great are these!!

The black box from Woo is not portable at all, 1kg that will pull down any trousers and of course, it won't fit any trousers. Also it gets super hot when on 3 tube duty. WooAudio sells it as a "transportable" product - not portable. And they are spot on. It's easy enough to take with you, but not to use on the go. 

Now tomorrow I need to find out if it can dethrone my Liquid Carbon - I hope not.

Apr 5, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #4,034 of 6,313

I've had my PM-3s for about 8 months. There is definitely a break in period. The bass does get better pretty quickly. I think it was in about 20 hours of use for me. Not quite the bass that my ZMF Blackwood's and LCD 2s have but very good for the price.

You just need to get a nice man purse to carry the WA8. It's doable. :D :p :cool:

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #4,035 of 6,313
Guys, I plan to buy the PM-3 but my concerns are that I will play it directly from my Note 3 and sometimes from my standard PC, most of the files are AAC 256kbps and Spotify streaming. Do you think it is worth it to buy PM-3 or I have to buy some good DAP/DAC/Amp instead ?

Usually I use ZA Duoza and Senn PX100 for daily purposes.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back