Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Apr 2, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #4,006 of 6,302
  Just took some comparison photos for reference, the colour of the metal is quite similar, a little lighter on mine. Only under certain light you can see the blue tinge on both, but the chamfer is visibly different. The pads are definitely different, 18-20mm thick on my set vs 25-27mm on the demo set, the opening is also larger, very strange. The headband is also thicker. The left PM3`s are mine, the right are the store demos.

I think you just need to burn them, too, at first I was not surprised by the yield-3 pm but I must tell you that I like jeans, wear them more and less can depart, become YOUR headphone like no one has ever done
I measured mine, and as measures correspond to those given in the store, instead of the inner circumference is 55 mm as described by the same oppo

Apr 2, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #4,007 of 6,302
For those of you PM-3 owners who originally loved everything...then over time found yourself wishing for a little more bass...what has been your solve?

Am curious if you scratched the itch well enough through EQ, or if you had to go another headphone route.

(for the record, I just got the HA-2, so could conceivably just rely on the bass boost...but am curious what everyone else has done)

I do eq all the time, pm3 has very linear fr, so it's been easy.

Apr 2, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #4,008 of 6,302
I do eq all the time, pm3 has very linear fr, so it's been easy.

Agreed. I EQ for Timmy Trumpet and a few other songs, but normally I leave EQ alone. I'm not sure if Android devices have the ability to EQ per song like the iDevices do, but if it does; that would be nice.

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #4,011 of 6,302
I wish I could eq Tidal with iphone- but thats another topic.

What you really wish but you just don't know is not to be stuck with Apple! Just joking! I don't really care about phone OS choices, but I do know I won't pay a premium package price just to have any particular phone. So many good phones now to chose from.

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #4,012 of 6,302

What you really wish but you just don't know is not to be stuck with Apple! Just joking! I don't really care about phone OS choices, but I do know I won't pay a premium package price just to have any particular phone. So many good phones now to chose from.

I do not like iOS, but I can't say that I don't envy all the expansion and add-ons that they get. Not sure why, especially since the vendors/manufacturers have to pay a license fee to Apple. They aren't even the dominant platform. So unfair.

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #4,014 of 6,302
  This! Out of the LC the PM-3s really blossom. Warm and engaging. Plenty of bass.

They are always warm with plenty of bass aren't they? I guess the LC just makes them more so.

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #4,015 of 6,302

They are always warm with plenty of bass aren't they? I guess the LC just makes them more so.

No, the plenty of bass is not always there. With the right amp they are fun and engaging, really come to life - with the wrong amp they can be a bit lifeless - purely my humble experience.

Apr 4, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #4,016 of 6,302

No, the plenty of bass is not always there. With the right amp they are fun and engaging, really come to life - with the wrong amp they can be a bit lifeless - purely my humble experience.

I retracted my post as I think when I reflect on things, we are saying the same thing, and if I just listen to the substance of what people are saying I completely agree. I have never experienced and amp that significantly changed my perception of the PM3, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible and doesn't happen so I can see how for some people an amp may actually make enough of a difference.

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #4,017 of 6,302
I retracted my post as I think when I reflect on things, we are saying the same thing, and if I just listen to the substance of what people are saying I completely agree. I have never experienced and amp that significantly changed my perception of the PM3, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible and doesn't happen so I can see how for some people an amp may actually make enough of a difference.

The differences are rather subtle. Definitively not night and day. And with any good amp they sound indeed always nice. But I have heard them on well not so great amps. They didn't sound bad but missing that toe tapping but you get when everything falls together.

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #4,018 of 6,302
The differences are rather subtle. Definitively not night and day. And with any good amp they sound indeed always nice. But I have heard them on well not so great amps. They didn't sound bad but missing that toe tapping but you get when everything falls together.

Because they're my portable cans, I run them straight out of my iPhone - but I'll probably invest in the Oppo HA-2 for when I take trips home and merely need 'transportable' and not 'portable' sound.

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #4,019 of 6,302
Because they're my portable cans, I run them straight out of my iPhone - but I'll probably invest in the Oppo HA-2 for when I take trips home and merely need 'transportable' and not 'portable' sound.

some of you may compare them with bowers & wilkins p7? I see a world of difference, p7 wide soundstage, powerful bass and super high, very tiring. oppo more quiet, maybe too much, less tiring, much smaller theater, compounds very low, below average, not high because p7 .... remembering complex with more p7 pleasure pm-3 what do you think? 400euro for ha2 alongside pm-3 or take p7?

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #4,020 of 6,302
As far as bass from these cans. There is more than enough. When I go out of my Galaxy Note 3, they sound pretty good. Then if I put the DacMagic XS in between. The bass easily seems to double. When I connect them to the Vali2. The bass doesn't double, but cleans up and seems to be more pronounced. These have good bass. I've been listening to "Die Antwoord" and they have some songs like "beat boy" has a ton of bass in it. The part that I like, is even while the bass hits hard; the PM-3 is still composed enough for you to hear the rest of the music and vocals and nothing is getting stepped on. The more I play with these, the more I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back