Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Mar 11, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #3,751 of 6,302
Mar 11, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #3,753 of 6,302

Gotcha, yes I guess it was/is. Certainly a great sound signature. I think a smidge more treble would make it absolutely killer good, just a little more energy.

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #3,755 of 6,302
Well, I got my PM-3s today, too, so I'm gonna run through continuous pink noise burn in until Monday morning.  I will have to say, though, the the fit was immaculate once you got the right adjustment, and I have V-MODAs for comparison, which almost everyone says fits like a glove.  I also liked the build quality, as while the swivel seems loose, it doesn't feel like it'll come apart.  The click when you adjust the length of the headband also felt very satisfactory.  So depending on how Monday goes with these, I just might have a new daily driver.

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #3,756 of 6,302
Mar 12, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #3,757 of 6,302
So other than the cable issues, what do you think of the pm3's

Well, I listened from 3:20pm - 1:40am ! ( & I suffer from M.E. / CFS ) so I've gone way overboard ! ( & I started listening at 8am, this morning....will really suffer for it today ! ) Only myself to blame....or the very engaging, PM-3's !
I'd describe them as clean, clear, accurate & detailed. Previous, buried nuances come to the fore more. I'm hearing things in music, that I didn't realise were there, or I did, but they can be heard better.
I think there is a tad too much brightness, on bright recordings / vocals, but I think, and  hope, that might diminish, when my brain gets used to the new sound. I think where there is warmth, you will hear it. Busy recordings, don't sound congested, excellent separation & extension. Well produced albums, sound very, very good.
I've only listened to my ZX2 ( all dsf files. ) so far. I will try with other equipment today. ( Or will try to....getting headache's, for overdoing it. )

The fit is quite comfortable & snug, although I wish the ear cups could be a tad bigger. They are very similar in size to my Sony MDR-1NC headphones. I think adjusting the headband, will make it better. The build quality is excellent.

I better go & rest my head, a little !

Mar 12, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #3,758 of 6,302

So other than the cable issues, what do you think of the pm3's

Well, I listened from 3:20pm - 1:40am ! ( & I suffer from M.E. / CFS ) so I've gone way overboard ! ( & I started listening at 8am, this morning....will really suffer for it today ! ) Only myself to blame....or the very engaging, PM-3's !
I'd describe them as clean, clear, accurate & detailed. Previous, buried nuances come to the fore more. I'm hearing things in music, that I didn't realise were there, or I did, but they can be heard better.
I think there is a tad too much brightness, on bright recordings / vocals, but I think, and  hope, that might diminish, when my brain gets used to the new sound. I think where there is warmth, you will hear it. Busy recordings, don't sound congested, excellent separation & extension. Well produced albums, sound very, very good.
I've only listened to my ZX2 ( all dsf files. ) so far. I will try with other equipment today. ( Or will try to....getting headache's, for overdoing it. )

The fit is quite comfortable & snug, although I wish the ear cups could be a tad bigger. They are very similar in size to my Sony MDR-1NC headphones. I think adjusting the headband, will make it better. The build quality is excellent.

I better go & rest my head, a little !

Are you sure you didn't have EQ or some sound effects on (i'm not familiar with ZX2)?  I have PM3 in review rotation for over 6 months now, and these are a prime example of smooth, warm, full body clear sound, actually not too detailed since it has an organic tonality, almost anti-EL8C and far from being bright and crisp.  Silver cable can brighten things up, and I'm still using Linum prototype BaX which adds more clarity and details, but overall PM3 is warm and smooth, not really bright and detailed.  But, YMMV since sound perception is very subjective
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #3,759 of 6,302
^ I have to agree, I don't even think it is remotely possible for the PM3 to be bright unless you EQ the hell out of it. Now Rob49 might have very pronounced sensitivities which is always possible even if it is uncommon, but yes, never have I heard the PM3 sound bright, or be described as bright before today. Well, I think there was one other member who thought they were, but that is back a few months now in the thread if I am remembering correctly.

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #3,760 of 6,302

Are you sure you didn't have EQ or some sound effects on (i'm not familiar with ZX2)?  I have PM3 in review rotation for over 6 months now, and these are a prime example of smooth, warm, full body clear sound, actually not too detailed since it has an organic tonality, almost anti-EL8C and far from being bright and crisp.  Silver cable can brighten things up, and I'm still using Linum prototype BaX which adds more clarity and details, but overall PM3 is warm and smooth, not really bright and detailed.  But, YMMV since sound perception is very subjective
wink.gif

I make a point of using no EQ or sound effects. I agree with most of what you say, except for not being too detailed, but saying that, the ZX2 is a very detailed player. What i'm hearing with the PM-3's is even more detail to the fore. That may be giving me a sense of brightness ?
I am enjoying them. I haven't tried them with any other source, yet. It could even be the fact t,hat I suffer from severe noise hypersensitivity ? Although, I didn't really get this sense when using my Sony's.

By the way, the Supertech cable you mention on page 170, won't work correctly. Pushed the lead in as far as it will go & get sound disappearing from either cup, with head movement.

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #3,762 of 6,302

wink.gif

I make a point of using no EQ or sound effects. I agree with most of what you say, except for not being too detailed, but saying that, the ZX2 is a very detailed player. What i'm hearing with the PM-3's is even more detail to the fore. That may be giving me a sense of brightness ?
I am enjoying them. I haven't tried them with any other source, yet. It could even be the fact t,hat I suffer from severe noise hypersensitivity ? Although, I didn't really get this sense when using my Sony's.

By the way, the Supertech cable you mention on page 170, won't work correctly. Pushed the lead in as far as it will go & get sound disappearing from either cup, with head movement.

You mean this mini-review http://www.head-fi.org/t/756828/oppo-pm-3-the-portable-planar-impressions/2535#post_11937560 ?  These cables are so cheap, maybe some quality control issue?  The one I have snaps in tight, making a perfect contact.  What you are describing sounds like the tip and the rings of the connector are not mating perfectly.  If you are pushing it all the way in, perhaps something is up with a connector?

With the sound and how you hear it, I do agree, it's very subjective based on our hearing limitations.  I'm hypersensitive to bright peaks (6kHz kills me lol!!!), while others listen to the same pair of headphones and find it smooth and balanced.

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #3,764 of 6,302

You mean this mini-review http://www.head-fi.org/t/756828/oppo-pm-3-the-portable-planar-impressions/2535#post_11937560 ?  These cables are so cheap, maybe some quality control issue?  The one I have snaps in tight, making a perfect contact.  What you are describing sounds like the tip and the rings of the connector are not mating perfectly.  If you are pushing it all the way in, perhaps something is up with a connector?

With the sound and how you hear it, I do agree, it's very subjective based on our hearing limitations.  I'm hypersensitive to bright peaks (6kHz kills me lol!!!), while others listen to the same pair of headphones and find it smooth and balanced.

​
Yes, that's the one. I know it's cheap, but I honestly could tell a difference with it. I've tried a number of times & I still lose sound, with head movement. I don't think it's even possible to push it in further ? I will have another go & I've got to check with another cable.
Years ago, and for quite sometime, I couldn't listen to music, a CD,without having to switch it off, after two songs.....so I guess, I ought to be thankful that I can listen for longer periods. I'm severely sensitive to ALL noise.
Just listening with my ZX2 / E12 combo & really enjoying it. A bit more oomph, across the range. Strangely, I didn't like the same combo with my Sony MDR-1NC  headphones & yet I loved the combo with my Sony F886 DAP.  Perhaps, i'm just odd !! ?? lol

Mar 12, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #3,765 of 6,302
What assessment, the MJ or the Toto? I admit I don't listen to the MJ or Toto much anymore, but when I listen to them following some of the EDM and dub step I rather enjoy these days, they sound kind of thin to my ears, so perhaps our frame of reference differs? To me, albums like Bad and Thriller are very mid focused which feels thin as I need proportionate bass to fill in the bottom.

Were AM radio stations still popular back then? I remember MJ from MTV, but I so hate his music that I must admit I listened to it as infrequently as possible. Most of the music I listened to was low-fi or DIY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back