Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Mar 11, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #3,706 of 6,302
yes, I have been trying lots of the new Metal and sadly what I have heard doesn't work for me. I love certain elements, but the recordings are typically just so bad (not always I'm sure) and after many years of heavy music (however you define it) I have little attraction to the scream and growl style out there now. If you listen to that type of material on the 325 you are indeed a brave soul, your ears must ring like hell.

Lol

Mar 11, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #3,707 of 6,302
Yeah, cymbals are not fun when you deal with sharp treble, which I feel is the Grado sound.  But yeah, between the metal I do know, I feel that Holy Wars (The Punishment Due) is a really good track for testing out headphones for me.  Thoughts on that?

Mar 11, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #3,708 of 6,302
  Thin is relative to your definition of thick right? In my case I can barely listen to older recordings now. I love the dynamics, I'm 47 by the way, so I grew up when that stuff was new, but I find the lack of actual bass to make the music feel less engaging. I don't like mindless, crappy bass, but I do enjoy well done bass, and there is a great deal of interesting, and extremely good sounding electronica and Nu Jazz out there. Try listening to something like Deadmau5 - Alone With You and then listen to MJ or Toto at the same SPL level. That doesn't mean you will agree or like the music, but I think why I call it thin might make more sense from that vantage point.

Thanks, I might check them out....of course, the recording process has changed over the years, but you can normally pick out a well produced album.
I'm sure you can gather, I have gone past your next milestone ! ? lol

Mar 11, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #3,709 of 6,302

Thanks, I might check them out....of course, the recording process has changed over the years, but you can normally pick out a well produced album.
I'm sure you can gather, I have gone past your next milestone ! ? lol

I have been buying a collection of European NU Jazz and electronica called Saint Germain Des Pres Café. I would grab Vol. 17 and 15 first if I were you. The recording quality and production is generally good to exceptional track to track, the selection is interesting and the caliber of the material is quite high. I am in the process of collecting all the issues of it and I have about 10 of them now and I'm currently awaiting Vol 14 from a store in Kentucky. I would also highly recommend a few electronica albums that are like that, well recorded and a high caliber of musical creativity. One artist is called Bluetech and the album is Sines and Singularities which can be bought in lossless format at bandcamp for $10. Another excellent album is Deadmau5 - Random Album Title.

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #3,710 of 6,302
  I have been buying a collection of European NU Jazz and electronica called Saint Germain Des Pres Café. I would grab Vol. 17 and 15 first if I were you. The recording quality and production is generally good to exceptional track to track, the selection is interesting and the caliber of the material is quite high. I am in the process of collecting all the issues of it and I have about 10 of them now and I'm currently awaiting Vol 14 from a store in Kentucky. I would also highly recommend a few electronica albums that are like that, well recorded and a high caliber of musical creativity. One artist is called Bluetech and the album is Sines and Singularities which can be bought in lossless format at bandcamp for $10. Another excellent album is Deadmau5 - Random Album Title.

Thanks for the suggestion's.......and my PM-3's have just arrived !

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #3,711 of 6,302

Thanks for the suggestion's.......and my PM-3's have just arrived !

Nice, hopefully you get to enjoy them right away. Should be lots of fun. who doesn't enjoy getting a new toy?

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #3,712 of 6,302
  Nice, hopefully you get to enjoy them right away. Should be lots of fun. who doesn't enjoy getting a new toy?

Well sadly, the first thing to report is that I've got the sound disappearing in one of the cups & it happens with head movement. Read about this on the thread. I think the lead is pushed in correctly....

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #3,716 of 6,302

.....sorry, didn't mean to not acknowledge your sentiments....just distracted by the disappearing issue....think it's sorted....but i'm now scared to move my head, or move !

Don't be scared. Shake it around, move it about. MAKE SURE IT ISN'T an ISSUE with the actual headphones. Oppo is good at getting things sorted.

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #3,717 of 6,302

Don't be scared. Shake it around, move it about. MAKE SURE IT ISN'T an ISSUE with the actual headphones. Oppo is good at getting things sorted.

Thanks, can't be too wild with the movement or shake my head too violently ! lol ( Suffer from severe, M.E. ) I think it's ok now, gave my head a few rapid turns & moved around a bit.

I plumped for George Michael - Patience ( on my ZX2 ) Can't believe it wasn't, MJ ! Don't want to comment just yet, I want to have a good listening spell ( Which means, i'll very likely be posting in 10 minutes ! lol )

Does take time to adjust, when you've been listening with other phones, for quite sometime !

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #3,718 of 6,302
  ​

Does take time to adjust, when you've been listening with other phones, for quite sometime !

It certainly does, the treble style on the PM3 is certainly rolled-off, but done in such a way that after you adjust it sounds much more detailed than first impressions will yield. Do give it time and try to hear how sweet and grain free the treble is. I would think older recordings will fare less well relative to newer recordings, thinking specifically of many 70s recordings that were rather flat. I wouldn't even listen to a 60s or 50s recording with headphones. I use speakers for those eras.

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #3,719 of 6,302
  It certainly does, the treble style on the PM3 is certainly rolled-off, but done in such a way that after you adjust it sounds much more detailed than first impressions will yield. Do give it time and try to hear how sweet and grain free the treble is. I would think older recordings will fare less well relative to newer recordings, thinking specifically of many 70s recordings that were rather flat. I wouldn't even listen to a 60s or 50s recording with headphones. I use speakers for those eras.

Well, I haven't removed the headphones, since they arrived 4hrs ago. Given them a George Michael / MJ, test.....very promising !....but just had to post now, to mention Richard Marx, dreamy, breathy, gorgeous vocal's ( & overall sound production. ) on his latest album, "Beautiful Goodbye".
I'm sure i'll post back over the weekend, with more detailed thoughts......

( The balanced cable I purchased, Supertech £7.99, mentioned on page 170 of this thread, clicks in, but i'm getting the sound disappearing, tried a few times, but still the same.....bit disappointed about that. )

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #3,720 of 6,302

Well, I haven't removed the headphones, since they arrived 4hrs ago. Given them a George Michael / MJ, test.....very promising !....but just had to post now, to mention Richard Marx, dreamy, breathy, gorgeous vocal's ( & overall sound production. ) on his latest album, "Beautiful Goodbye".
I'm sure i'll post back over the weekend, with more detailed thoughts......

( The balanced cable I purchased, Supertech £7.99, mentioned on page 170 of this thread, clicks in, but i'm getting the sound disappearing, tried a few times, but still the same.....bit disappointed about that. )

If your using a balanced cable into a smartphone, it won't work.. Use the regular cable for non balanced connections

Users who are viewing this thread

Back