Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Mar 10, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #3,676 of 6,302
No I haven't got the Oppo nor have I heard them. I was only referring to the comments of people who do own them regarding the rolled off treble whether that is true or false. I was merely offering an alternative possibly similar headphone that I do own and doesn't suffer from such a 'flaw'

This headphone does have a number of rivals

Your might well be right in saying I could even prefer the PM3 but I suppose I'll never know. I am happy with choice I made and don't think any closed headphone could be significantly better than the Focal

I'll take the build quality on the Oppo PM-3 over the Focal's all day long.  Built like a tank and made to last.

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #3,677 of 6,302
I'll take the build quality on the Oppo PM-3 over the Focal's all day long.  Built like a tank and made to last.

Yes I'd agree there. The Focals could be better built although they have improved. There also uncomfortable for some so they're far from perfect overall but the sound gets fairly close.

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #3,678 of 6,302
Your might well be right in saying I could even prefer the PM3 but I suppose I'll never know. I am happy with choice I made and don't think any closed headphone could be significantly better than the Focal

Indeed the PM3 won't be everybody's cup of tea, but it has received very wide acclaim. I agree that for you the Focal Spirit (which I might buy soon) pleases you, but it is always possible for something else to be subjectively better. I do agree with the spirit of your position in that once you get into well voiced and implemented sound signatures, the degree of "better" becomes purely subjective baring any real glaring design flaws. For me, ultimately it comes down to a few things, the tonal balance, I like a little warmth, the bass needs to be pretty strong, but not overly boomy and shouldn't be of the one note variety, treble should be nice and grain free (which can happen with both soft or pronounced treble designs) and the mids should be well proportioned in the balance.

If those goals are met, the headphone as a minimum will be pleasing, and depending on how the various elements pan out that is where preferences start to creep in.

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #3,679 of 6,302
No I haven't got the Oppo nor have I heard them. I was only referring to the comments of people who do own them regarding the rolled off treble whether that is true or false. I was merely offering an alternative possibly similar headphone that I do own and doesn't suffer from such a 'flaw'

This headphone does have a number of rivals

I used to own the spirit classic and the treble is rolled off too. The spirit pro that I owened as well has very extended highs.

I end up with the pm3 and to me, it is the best of these 3 headphones This is my personal preference. Plus the pm3 is wayyyyy more comfortable.

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #3,680 of 6,302
Indeed the PM3 won't be everybody's cup of tea, but it has received very wide acclaim. I agree that for you the Focal Spirit (which I might buy soon) pleases you, but it is always possible for something else to be subjectively better. I do agree with the spirit of your position in that once you get into well voiced and implemented sound signatures, the degree of "better" becomes purely subjective baring any real glaring design flaws. For me, ultimately it comes down to a few things, the tonal balance, I like a little warmth, the bass needs to be pretty strong, but not overly boomy and shouldn't be of the one note variety, treble should be nice and grain free (which can happen with both soft or pronounced treble designs) and the mids should be well proportioned in the balance.

If those goals are met, the headphone as a minimum will be pleasing, and depending on how the various elements pan out that is where preferences start to creep in.

That describes perfectly (better than I manage!) how I feel about the Focal.

Should add the Oppo hadn't even been released when I bought the Spirit ! Otherwise I would have seriously considered them as well. They are significantly more expensive in Europe than Focals though

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #3,681 of 6,302
So my PM-3s are coming in tomorrow, and right now, I'm in the middle of a quandary here.  If I do settle on these as my new daily, I have about $150 to get myself an amp.  The thing is, though, whether I should get a portable amp or a desktop amp, and after that, which one.  To compare, my headphone-compatible sources right now are the following, along with their DACs for those who know how the PM-3 will synergize;

Maximus VIII Extreme (Sabre ES9023P)
iPod Classic 6th Gen, 2nd Rev. (Cirrus Logic CS42L55)
Samsung Galaxy S4 (Krait SoC)

I already do have a desktop DAC/amp setup, but my amp, the Topping TP-22 (Tripath TK2050), has no headphone jack, so that's a consideration, too.

If anyone can shed some light on what I should be looking at, that would help greatly.

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #3,682 of 6,302
  So my PM-3s are coming in tomorrow, and right now, I'm in the middle of a quandary here.  If I do settle on these as my new daily, I have about $150 to get myself an amp.  The thing is, though, whether I should get a portable amp or a desktop amp, and after that, which one.  To compare, my headphone-compatible sources right now are the following, along with their DACs for those who know how the PM-3 will synergize;

Maximus VIII Extreme (Sabre ES9023P)
iPod Classic 6th Gen, 2nd Rev. (Cirrus Logic CS42L55)
Samsung Galaxy S4 (Krait SoC)

I already do have a desktop DAC/amp setup, but my amp, the Topping TP-22 (Tripath TK2050), has no headphone jack, so that's a consideration, too.

If anyone can shed some light on what I should be looking at, that would help greatly.

Why not wait until you get the oppo's and see if you like them first.  It may be that you don't need an amp.  If you do need one then you need to be familiar with what shortfalls you think there are with the oppo on it's own.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #3,683 of 6,302
Are there any other headphones which would be similarish to OPPO PM3? I tried out EL8 closed, LCD-XD. I loved PM3, but they were too small and I would prefer to use them at home only so portable is not needed. EL8 closed were good, but they sounded kinda airy. LCD-XD I loved them, but they are too expensive to buy new. Tried to buy used but we could not come to an agreement.

I do not want open. I tried out the whole lineup of hifiman and audeze and airy wide soundstage is just not for me.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #3,684 of 6,302
  Are there any other headphones which would be similarish to OPPO PM3? I tried out EL8 closed, LCD-XD. I loved PM3, but they were too small and I would prefer to use them at home only so portable is not needed. EL8 closed were good, but they sounded kinda airy. LCD-XD I loved them, but they are too expensive to buy new. Tried to buy used but we could not come to an agreement.

I do not want open. I tried out the whole lineup of hifiman and audeze and airy wide soundstage is just not for me.

Have you considered maybe some alpha dogs? Never heard them myself so I dont know how much they sound like (or if the even sound anything like) the PM3's... They are larger closed planars though. https://mrspeakers.com/alpha-prime-headphones/

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #3,685 of 6,302
  Have you considered maybe some alpha dogs? Never heard them myself so I dont know how much they sound like (or if the even sound anything like) the PM3's... They are larger closed planars though. https://mrspeakers.com/alpha-prime-headphones/

I did consider them, but some reviews say that they sound more wide than some hifiman headphones and that they sound more like open cans than closed. I am looking for closed sound.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #3,686 of 6,302
  I did consider them, but some reviews say that they sound more wide than some hifiman headphones and that they sound more like open cans than closed. I am looking for closed sound.

IDK maybe you might want to check out Fostex TH-X00 or maybe Meze 99 Classics.. There are a lot of options out there but its hard to say which will have the sound signature your looking for (intimate sounding with decent bass would be my guess) 

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #3,689 of 6,302
  Sine are on-ear headphones, most probably even smaller than PM-3.

Based on the thread, I have been following it recently as I was interested in them, it is still a rather large on ear design so I suspect if that is the case, they will have issues. I hope I'm wrong as I like the design, but damn Audeze does miss the boat in a big way it seems sometimes (EL-8 closed, tons of problems with the LCD 3). I want to trust them, but it is hard. Hopefully I'm wrong and I will follow that thread as more people should be receiving them so we'll get more impressions soon. Come on Audeze, competition is a great thing.

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #3,690 of 6,302
Thanks @gortman really didnt need a link to another portable planer that maybe like PM3 but livelier
biggrin.gif
 only issue for me with PM3 is i wish it was a bit more exciting although i do love my PM3s could another £400 be justified ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back