Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Mar 9, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #3,646 of 6,302

Oppodigitial (if purchased through Amazon) is good and fairly quick with refunds if you are displeased with the product. Though, I don't see why you would be.

Yes, i'm aware & that is swaying me to order.....hopefully, i'd be pleased with them ? I've read more positive stuff, than negative. The negative stuff appears to be, rolled off treble, not enough bass at times, small soundstage & better with particular music genre's & not so with others !
Watching reviews on youtube, they start of with, "WOW" ! ( & then follow it, with the above points. ) Seems to contradict the "WOW" ! ? )

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #3,647 of 6,302

Yes, i'm aware & that is swaying me to order.....hopefully, i'd be pleased with them ? I've read more positive stuff, than negative. The negative stuff appears to be, rolled off treble, not enough bass at times, small soundstage & better with particular music genre's & not so with others !
Watching reviews on youtube, they start of with, "WOW" ! ( & then follow it, with the above points. ) Seems to contradict the "WOW" ! ? )

Everything has Pros and Cons. Most of the time the rolled of treble doesn't bother me. It kind of gives the headphone a smoother feel. Though, if you look through the thread, I believe there may be EQ settings that can help with the treble. I've left the bass alone on mine, but for songs that I feel I want a little more, I turn the EQ on. If you listen through an "i" device (I don't  but...) you can EQ certain songs that you want to "sparkle" more than others. That way it is done automatically for just those songs (at least that is how it was for my old iPod 5.5g that decided to kill it's HDD this past weekend).

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #3,648 of 6,302

They start with WOW because the complaints are very minor, when compared to the positives.. Yes, they have a small soundstage but only if you compare them to other open back planaers.. For a closed headphone they actually have a really good soundstage... The rolled off treble just makes them feel laid back and is not really noticeable unless you sit there and A/B with a brighter headphone.. The bass is just right IMHO and I find these headphones work with just about all music.

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #3,649 of 6,302
OK, so I'm about to commit on taking the plunge on these (nice upgrade from my Crossfade LPs) and before I do, I want to ask three things;

1) How do these sound bare on the iPod Classic (the last one with the Cirrus Logic CS42L55) without EQ?  Will software-based EQ make an improvement on the sound?

2) I know that these sound great paired with an HA-2, but what would your other recommendations be for a good amp/DAC to go with these under $200?  I did hear that the E12's go great, but I'd like to have more options.  And do any of these sound better than the HA-2?

3) Has anyone tried these using a Modi 2/Vali 2 stack?  If so, any comments?

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #3,650 of 6,302
  Can any Sony ZX2 owners, convince me to buy the PM-3's ?

I'm ready to pull the trigger....then I watch / read negative points on the internet & then i'm put off.....

Here I will just leave a quote from innerfidelity's Bob Katz's, latest review of the one two punch with the PM-3 and HA-2..

Bottom line
Oppo PM-3 headphones plus Oppo HA-2 DAC/amp plus iPhone is the best-sounding, most accurate, reference-quality portable playback that I have experienced in many years of this audio business. The bass response is most impressive. The portable experience rivals the best desktop headphone amplifiers and DACs and the HA-2 can be used as a desktop DAC rivaling the best line-powered beasts. We're living in exciting times!

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #3,652 of 6,302
  OK, so I'm about to commit on taking the plunge on these (nice upgrade from my Crossfade LPs) and before I do, I want to ask three things;

1) How do these sound bare on the iPod Classic (the last one with the Cirrus Logic CS42L55) without EQ?  Will software-based EQ make an improvement on the sound?

2) I know that these sound great paired with an HA-2, but what would your other recommendations be for a good amp/DAC to go with these under $200?  I did hear that the E12's go great, but I'd like to have more options.  And do any of these sound better than the HA-2?

3) Has anyone tried these using a Modi 2/Vali 2 stack?  If so, any comments?

I have been using them with the FiiO E18 but have also ordered the HA-2, which I should get this Friday.. The sound fantastic on the E18 (~$160) but curiosity got the best of me :p After testing both this weekend I will be returning either the E18 or the HA-2.. Will post thoughts on how the two compare with the PM-3's next week sometime. 

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #3,654 of 6,302
Can any Sony ZX2 owners, convince me to buy the PM-3's ?

I'm ready to pull the trigger....then I watch / read negative points on the internet & then i'm put off.....

One of the complains people have is the roll off treble, as people already mentioned here. However, let me tell you something that happened to me last weekend. I went with a friend of mine to the Apple Store, he had some problem with his iPhone . Any way, while he was talking to an apple representative, I had nothing to do so I put one of those beats headphones on my head. Just pure curiosity. OMG! They sound horrible in every aspect, but I am just going to mention about its treble. It is almost non existent. It is extremely roll off. It sounds as is you put cotton in your ears. It sounds muffled. And some how, most people love these over priced headphones.

Having said this, yes, the treble on the pm-3 is rolled off, but it depends on the perspective you are judging them. To my ears they soiud beautiful. Very crisp and detailed. Rolled off? Yes, may be,but only if you compare them to very expensive flagships.

You won't go wrong with the pm3. They sound gorgeous and much, much, much better than any other closed back headphones in this price range on even higher.

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #3,655 of 6,302
  Here I will just leave a quote from innerfidelity's Bob Katz's, latest review of the one two punch with the PM-3 and HA-2..

Bottom line
Oppo PM-3 headphones plus Oppo HA-2 DAC/amp plus iPhone is the best-sounding, most accurate, reference-quality portable playback that I have experienced in many years of this audio business. The bass response is most impressive. The portable experience rivals the best desktop headphone amplifiers and DACs and the HA-2 can be used as a desktop DAC rivaling the best line-powered beasts. We're living in exciting times!

I back this

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #3,658 of 6,302
Great, let us know what you think when you get them
smily_headphones1.gif

Will do ! ( I hope they're here by Friday ! ? )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back