Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Feb 25, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #3,571 of 6,302
I'm probably selling my PM3 as much as I like it, I am starting to just use the Divine via Bluetooth as I like being free of wires for true on the go use. I have also had to leave my job to look after my daughter at home so as a result I'm not on the bus going to work which is where I used the PM3 the most. At home, I usually use speakers, but when using headphones I will reach for the 400i first I find.

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #3,572 of 6,302
  I'm probably selling my PM3 as much as I like it, I am starting to just use the Divine via Bluetooth as I like being free of wires for true on the go use. I have also had to leave my job to look after my daughter at home so as a result I'm not on the bus going to work which is where I used the PM3 the most. At home, I usually use speakers, but when using headphones I will reach for the 400i first I find.

NOooooo!  You're one of the biggest ones who convinced me to get the PM-3 and now the 400i.

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #3,573 of 6,302

NOooooo!  You're one of the biggest ones who convinced me to get the PM-3 and now the 400i.

This has nothing to do with the PM3, just me being practical by nature. I love the PM3 for portable use, but as I said, with me rarely needing a portable these days I feel bad seeing the PM3 go unused much of the time. When I do use portables, wires are an issue as I take the bus, and these days mostly to go to class (I'm an older student finishing my degree). Often on the bus the wire will get caught on the seat, or my coat, even sometimes hooked on people sitting beside me. The worst thing happened recently when I was getting off a train with a big crush of students and somebody cut across the front of me and caught the cable of the PM3 and it pulled right out of the cup! Lucky for me the cable and headphone was fine, but that really got me wanting to get away from cables.

The XTZ Divine isn't as good as the PM3, nor is it as comfortable; however, I use a portable less now, and typically for about 30 minutes at a time each way to and from school so comfort is a lesser factor. I haven't completely made up my mind to sell the PM3 as I do know I will regret selling it once its' gone. I hope you are as happy with the sound quality of the PM3 as I am, and did you also say you have gotten a 400i? If so, good call, they are both different enough in sound and purpose that I think you will be glad to have both.

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #3,575 of 6,302
  So, I've been using my PM-3 on my multiple walks a day with my 2 puppies. I actually like how they sound out of my Galaxy Note 3. I think they sound less clear, but more thick and molasses like out of my iPod 5.5G, but also less detailed.  I wouldn't mind a nice little (inexpensive) USB DAC that is the size of a thumbstick, but I'm in no rush to pick one of those up. In the end, the PM-3 aren't going anywhere, anytime soon.

I've noticed that thicker, lazier sound with less power as well. It's funny that the PM-3 is supposed to be easy to drive, and it will run decently with not a lot of power, but man, they really shine and tighten up with decent power. I was really surprised how high I have to push the volume on my A2 in high gain mode to play them at normal levels.

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #3,576 of 6,302
  So, I've been using my PM-3 on my multiple walks a day with my 2 puppies. I actually like how they sound out of my Galaxy Note 3. I think they sound less clear, but more thick and molasses like out of my iPod 5.5G, but also less detailed.  I wouldn't mind a nice little (inexpensive) USB DAC that is the size of a thumbstick, but I'm in no rush to pick one of those up. In the end, the PM-3 aren't going anywhere, anytime soon.

I can recommend the Zoorloo USB DAC, its an Indigo wonder. Sounds almost as good...98% of the much larger renowned Emotiva Big Ego DAC. Of course the previous go to DAC was DragonFly, which I haven't heard. But Zoorloo for me works wonders. Thanks for your posting, its helpful as I have committed to new phones as yet.

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #3,577 of 6,302
  ^ that is pretty understandable...I just sold my speaker set up last week because I rarely fire them up for the last couple of months.

I have a set of Quads and Denon rig in the living room that I dust more than turn on (mainly because no one likes my music). When the family wants to listen to music, they play it on the TVs Samsung Soundbar and sub. In my office, I listen to the Audioengine A2+ paired with a Polk 10" sub. So much overkill for bass, but great when I want to listen to some Timmy Trumpet (or occasional DMX). Then of course I have my headphone obsession. I still lust for a HA-1 with HD800 pairing sometime in the future though. So much lust, so little cash.

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #3,578 of 6,302
  I can recommend the Zoorloo USB DAC, its an Indigo wonder. Sounds almost as good...98% of the much larger renowned Emotiva Big Ego DAC. Of course the previous go to DAC was DragonFly, which I haven't heard. But Zoorloo for me works wonders. Thanks for your posting, its helpful as I have committed to new phones as yet.

You know. Those Zero Digital earphones have me more interested. I could easily pick those up for $39. Shorten the OTG cable connection. Cut the earphones off and solder on a female 3.5mm jack. Walla, I end up with a slimmer, less expensive DAC. Hehe.

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #3,579 of 6,302

You know. Those Zero Digital earphones have me more interested. I could easily pick those up for $39. Shorten the OTG cable connection. Cut the earphones off and solder on a female 3.5mm jack. Walla, I end up with a slimmer, less expensive DAC. Hehe.

Surely can...http://www.gizmag.com/review-zero-digital-earphones-zorloo/37814/

I hate soldering tho'...

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #3,580 of 6,302

I have a set of Quads and Denon rig in the living room that I dust more than turn on (mainly because no one likes my music). When the family wants to listen to music, they play it on the TVs Samsung Soundbar and sub. In my office, I listen to the Audioengine A2+ paired with a Polk 10" sub. So much overkill for bass, but great when I want to listen to some Timmy Trumpet (or occasional DMX). Then of course I have my headphone obsession. I still lust for a HA-1 with HD800 pairing sometime in the future though. So much lust, so little cash.

Unused Quad speakers seem a crime. Are you really a criminal? What model? I have two small REL T-Zero subs attached to the same speaker terminals as the KEFs so they according to REL get the same impulse information as the mains. I like the effect although I make sure to have the subs set as low as viable as I worry about getting addicted to overblown sub-bass! The RELs are small, 8'' subs so not huge earth shaking potential anyway, but being small they seem responsive and pretty capable.

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #3,581 of 6,302
  Unused Quad speakers seem a crime. Are you really a criminal? What model? I have two small REL T-Zero subs attached to the same speaker terminals as the KEFs so they according to REL get the same impulse information as the mains. I like the effect although I make sure to have the subs set as low as viable as I worry about getting addicted to overblown sub-bass! The RELs are small, 8'' subs so not huge earth shaking potential anyway, but being small they seem responsive and pretty capable.

I have just a set of Bookshelf ones. 11L2 in Birdseye Maple. They sound Amazing with the Denon rig. They have a very "tube" like sound signature to them. I was offered a set of B&W bookshelf speakers (forgot which version) with a B&W ASW300 sub. I refused the trade. I like them to much. I have them bi-amped with Canare speaker wire (damn wire is huge, but I put on Snake skin Techflex to make it pretty). I've listened to many a setup, but I like mine for Jazz.  I would love to get some KEFs though.  I think I'm pretty much set for speaker setups at the moment (unless my uncle offers me his Magnapans).

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #3,582 of 6,302

Surely can...http://www.gizmag.com/review-zero-digital-earphones-zorloo/37814/

I hate soldering tho'...

Soldering is ok. I'd end up cutting up one of my right angle OTG cables to fix the straight one on the Zero headphones though. I wonder when I can order one, because I'm gonna! and then mod it like a son of a gun! That should make my PM-3 happy!  Actually, why the heck not... I have OCC Toxic cables (waiting on plugs to be shipped from China). I might as well make a cable for the PM-3 and solder in the Zero's DAC. Woot!

Haha... Something like this Audeze EL-8.

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #3,583 of 6,302
I can understand Sonic's reasoning. Although the PM-3 are most used HPs, I don't use them at home. I have 3 other pair of cans that alternate depending on my mood. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back