Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jan 12, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #3,091 of 6,302
You know if someone thinks they here a difference who are you to say otherwise! I have heard differences in sound from cables. If someone hears something different and it puts a smile on there face let them be happy instead of you trying to ruin it!!!

Never said that they didn't hear a difference, said it might not be the silver that's causing the difference they are hearing.  And I don't want to start another cable war.  

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #3,092 of 6,302
I have the Lavri silver cable and I notice absolutely no difference in SQ nor should I!  It's data cable.  If interference were an issue it would not be the silver  that improved the sound, it would be the superior shielding.  That is possible.  Please let's not start another wire flame war.  I like the Lavri cable.

If you're talking about the images that are quoted above (or a page before), the cable looks like a standard 3.5 mm to 3.5 all around. In that case, they most certainly aren't digital cables and definitely would be analog. Both technically data, the analog is more prone to distortion and attenuation as well as noise induction causing more variable changes in the output. Digital has its own separate issues as well and techniques to deal with it.

I won't comment whether or not any of this is audible, but did need to make that distinction.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #3,093 of 6,302
Never said that they didn't hear a difference, said it might not be the silver that's causing the difference they are hearing.  And I don't want to start another cable war.  

It is funny that the person that said "And I don't want to start another cable war." already started it, hehe! :)

Copper and silver cables sound different to me. But I suspect some people don't have ears sensitive enough to tell any difference. The same way some people have better vision or smell than others.

We can all experience things differently, because we are not made exactly the same and that is a good thing :)

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #3,094 of 6,302
It won't totally fix the treble.  I EQ to fix that.  It does brighten up the headphone though.

The SPOCC cable is my go to cable now.  I have the 4 core cable.  I'm looking at getting the 8 core.  I'm not sure if it will make a difference but I want to try it.

Micropixel,

I know this question is not for me, but let me give you my personal opinion. When I purchased my Oppo pm-3 less than 2 months ago, I was on the fence about whether or not returning them. The silver plated cable I am using, made me keep the headphones. Oppo pm-3 and silver plated cable are a great pairing. The treble sounds a bit brighter and the bass sounds tighter. The only downside is that my cable doesn't have a sleeve and it creates very annoying microphonics. I just ordered a sleeve and I am going to try and put it myself. If I were you, I would ask Dyson if they can have the cable sleeved for you. I don't know if they offer that option, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them.

Just circling back to give my feedback. Managed to find some time last month to make my own SPC cable. Nothing fancy just brand less generic SPC wire which sells for US$1 per meter. Did a 4 wire round braid, heat shrinked. Eventhough it's not a balanced cable I decided to use 4 wires because I read elsewhere it may make a difference, and the wire I used is cheap to begin with anyway. So I just soldered both ground wires to the sleeve on the amp connector. I could have made a XLR balance cable but I already have one of that on order from Dyson (with sleeve!), so I just wanted to make a SE cable for portable use.

As for the sound - I have similar observation, the top is a bit brighter now with almost some sparkle. I think there is also wee bit of better separation and dynamics. Loving it! Was a little disappointed when I first got PM3 due to top roll off. With this cable I'm a happy headfier!

And oh, as some have commented, the PM3 sounds awesome with Mojo.

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #3,096 of 6,302

The FiiO X5's PCM1592A DAC is wonderful.  I much preferred it to the DAC of my Oppo HA-1 (not a typo).  I used the X5 DAC Line Out as the primary source for my Oppo HA-1 for several weeks.  

I would describe it as being more musical and natural sounding (I'm always reluctant to use those words) than the Oppo HA-1's ESS9018 DAC, but offers less of a difference in comparison to the HA-2's ESS9018K2M, which I also prefer vs. the HA-1 DAC, ironically - especially with USB sources.  

If I didn't have a Sony Walkman for playing files on micro SD cards into the HA-1's USB input, I would welcome the X5 as a line level source for the HA-1.

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #3,097 of 6,302

The FiiO X5's PCM1592A DAC is wonderful.  I much preferred it to the DAC of my Oppo HA-1 (not a typo).  I used the X5 DAC Line Out as the primary source for my Oppo HA-1 for several weeks.  

I would describe it as being more musical and natural sounding (I'm always reluctant to use those words) than the Oppo HA-1's ESS9018 DAC, but offers less of a difference in comparison to the HA-2's ESS9018K2M, which I also prefer vs. the HA-1 DAC, ironically - especially with USB sources.  

If I didn't have a Sony Walkman for playing files on micro SD cards into the HA-1's USB input, I would welcome the X5 as a line level source for the HA-1.

What cable are you using for the OPPOs

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #3,098 of 6,302
  What cable are you using for the OPPOs

@stilleh - I think this question was directed at you.

Update:  

This is what his signature says:

Current setup is Fiio X5 + Oppo HA-2 using Oppo PM-3 with upgraded pure silver Lavricable or IEMs Pai Audio MR3 or VE Zen 2.0 black edition.

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #3,100 of 6,302
Has anyone compared the PM-3s to the Alpha Primes? I really enjoy the APs but they are "a bit" too bulky to be used as portable hps... 

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #3,101 of 6,302
  Has anyone compared the PM-3s to the Alpha Primes? I really enjoy the APs but they are "a bit" too bulky to be used as portable hps... 

That is too funny.  Small world.  I sold my APs for the exact same reason and have the PM-3s now. 

I've owned both.  In my opinion the PM-3 has more bass and is a bit more warm sounding.  I think the AP is a little clinical.  Just my 2 cents.  

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #3,102 of 6,302

I liken the Alpha Prime to all the other big planars like the Audeze, Hifiman's, etc.  They are great headphones, but not meant for portable use.

The PM-3's, however, definitely are great for portable use.  Even the denim case is fine enough to use as a carry case in a backpack or something, and they also don't require an amp.

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #3,103 of 6,302
Thanks for the replies!

Quote:

That is too funny.  Small world.  I sold my APs for the exact same reason and have the PM-3s now. 

I've owned both.  In my opinion the PM-3 has more bass and is a bit more warm sounding.  I think the AP is a little clinical.  Just my 2 cents.  

Wow.. 
blink.gif
 I really didn't think that the PM-3s could replace the APs but it's interesting to hear that you prefer them over the APs.

I liken the Alpha Prime to all the other big planars like the Audeze, Hifiman's, etc.  They are great headphones, but not meant for portable use.

The PM-3's, however, definitely are great for portable use.  Even the denim case is fine enough to use as a carry case in a backpack or something, and they also don't require an amp.

My plan is to get a pair of hps that are solely used as portables so the PM-3 are starting to sound like a very good choice 
smile_phones.gif
. I would be pairing it with the Mojo. I hear that they make a great match. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back